• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing S&W Revolver Hand Tension/Torsion Spring HELP!!

308isgreat

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2008
Milton, FL
I have a S&W Airweight 442 and the hand tension/torsion spring broke. I got a new spring in but cannot figure out how it goes in the pistol. Any pictures or descriptive's would be greatly appreciated!!!

Re: S&W Revolver Hand Tension/Torsion Spring HELP!!

Jerry Miculek has an excellent DVD called Trigger Job.
It shows the complete disassembly, tune-up, and reassembly of the S&W trigger mechanism. I't will definitely answer your questions, teach you how to tune your trigger, and make you much more knowledgable about the function of your S&W revolver.

Thanks guys, I just need to know how the spring is orientated/installed. I may do a trigger job later.

There is a small hole that one leg of the spring drops into. You then have to reach in with something and pull the other leg back as you insert the hand. That is the best I can do for you. I really suggest you get the Miculek DVD so you can watch him do it. This is definitely a case where seeing is best. Otherwise have a gunsmith do it. It is a quick job. Besides that if you are going to take the gun apart you may as well tune the trigger at the same time. You do not want to repeatedly disassemble these revolvers as parts loosen up every time you do.

JC:

Thanks for the info. I looked at what you said and figured out how to get it working. Thanks again, I really appreciate it!

Great! Glad that was enough for you to figure it out.