• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors S&W Revolver Tech Needed

Doc Holiday13

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2008
LoCo, VA
I got a smoking deal on two S&W revolvers. Mod 27 and a 686. Both have 6" barrels. I shot them both yesterday to see how they handle

The Mod 27 will fire no problem if the hammer is cocked and trigger pull. However if you try to "rapid" fire it with the double action it will not fire unless you pull the trigger very slow.

Is this a product of a weak hammer spring?

The 686 functioned flawlessly and both are very accurate once you find out how they shoot. 38 special is like a cap gun compared to the 357 mag rounds. Chopped down a few tree's
grin.gif

Re: S&W Revolver Tech Needed

Remove the grip from the 27 at the bottom of the grip frame there will be a screw 'strain screw' make sure it is tight 'clockwise' If it is check the tip of this screw an if it looks like it was ground/filed where it contacts the flat 'hammer spring' take a used primer remove anvil etc. back out screw a bit and put the empty cup over the screw end and tighten check for function. It dosen't sound like you need much since it will fire if pulled slowly and the cup trick will be enough to get reliable. If so leave like is or get a new strain screw. Backing out or grinding some screw material to lighten trigger pull in double action mode is an old trick that's been around since revolvers.

Sounds like a plan. I'm gunna swap the trigger springs between my 686 and mod 27 to see if that does anything too

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocHoliday13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like a plan. I'm gunna swap the trigger springs between my 686 and mod 27 to see if that does anything too </div></div>

Fine but I suggest you try one thing at a time.

Hammer springs, not trigger springs, like he said check the screw is tight first, people loosen or cut screw trying to smooth out the trigger, or put in a reduced power spring.

Since your guns are different frame sizes I suspect the springs are not swappable.

Your 27 is an N frame the 686 an L frame both use the same hammer spring and trigger rebound spring. All the trigger rebound spring does is reset the trigger, if someone clipped a coil or two the trigger pull and return will be mushy and slow to return it will not effect hammer strike power.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David Hineline</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hammer springs, not trigger springs, like he said check the screw is tight first, people loosen or cut screw trying to smooth out the trigger, or put in a reduced power spring.

Since your guns are different frame sizes I suspect the springs are not swappable. </div></div>

I meant hammer springs sorry

I pulled the screw out last night and it looks like it was filed down a little bit because then end wasn't square and there was a slight burr on it(shitty file job if it that was the case). I'm gunna see about a small shim. I think a spent large pistol primer might do the trick. if that works then I'm just gunna buy a replacement screw

I've pulled both guns apart and the innards appear to be identical.

Second question, how do I find out the age of the gun aside from calling S&W?

686 is going to be the better choice. 686 and 686 plus are great home defense or car gun without a doubt.

Hey Doc--go with the 686--might be the best all around revolver from S&W EVER ! The Stainless finish is easily cleaned and maintained, very versatile with regard to ammo, excellent triggers right out of the box, very accurate AND NO REPAIRS NEEDED ! jmho..............joey one eye

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kstraughen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">686 is going to be the better choice. 686 and 686 plus are great home defense or car gun without a doubt. </div></div>

6" barrel isn't exactly suitable for carry and I have a Saiga 12
smile.gif
. Its still loaded and in the top drawer next to my bed

although I wouldn't mind having it on my side in a gun fight. Its accurate and if I'm out of ammo I can kill someone from the sheer weight of the gun.