• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SA energy on target

wvfarrier

Ignorant wretch
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2012
West (By GOD) Virginia
I currently have a Big Horn Short Action thats sitting unused. Ive been pondering what to do with it so here I am. I can order a magnum bolt face from Zermatt so thats not an issue.

My first thought was 300 WSM since I have a passel of .308 projectiles for 308 Win and 300blk. However, I got to thinking about energy on target at distances which brought me to the question; which Short Action cartridge puts the most energy on target past 700 yards?

300 WSM (or one of the WSM family) is about as much as you will get in a short action. You have an advantage in some extra mag length to seat bullets out to 2.98" acording to Zermatt, so you shouldn't have to shove the bullet all the way down into the case. Make sure your barrel is throated correctly and send it. The only other SAAMI option that is SAUM line, but that does not have the rebated rim and is shorter so you loose a bit of capacity. the Sherman magnums would eb other other competition, but those are based on the SAUM

Reactions: wvfarrier
I think you should sell that action to me at a very steep discount. Then I can install that Criterion barrel on a proper action.

Reactions: b6graham