• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SA M1A and Troy M14 MCS chassis

Bennyboy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2011
IN
I searched this out on here before posting and couldn't find it. I have a Springfield standard M1A, and I love the rifle. BUT, I also like modularity and as I approach 40 years old, I am recognizing that an optic is truly a glorious thing. As many of you know, if you are considering buying a mount and slapping it on an M1A, well--it may work, but it may not.

This is what I am looking at:

http://troyind.com/%20/weapon-upgrades/c...-a2-stock-basic

I don't want to drop $850 and not to be able to mount a scope rock solid. Ideally, I could have flip ups, along with my 10X Mark 4 on ARMS throw lever rings. This is my dream--anyone know if it will work? For a standard, this rifle shoots great, and I want to take advantage of it. I realize that many of you will say sell it and buy a GAP10--I suppose I could, but I am set up for the M14.
Thanks!

Re: SA M1A and Troy M14 MCS chassis

Its heavy, and I believe they came out with a newer lighter model for 2012 wait a little bit and get the lighter one.
also look at
Mccann industries and M14.ca for some light stocks.

To be fair, the reason scope mounts don't work on M1A's, is operator error. If its an older standard, your chances of success are actually HIGHER, if that helps. Not to try to sway you from the stock, as it's a great piece. BUT if you're trying to watch the cash flow, you really can't beat a Sadlak Airborne Steel mount. If you can read, and follow basic instructions, you can mount one in an hour. I'm mechanically, well, stupid, and had no problem installing the mount. Getting elevation set perfectly did take some TIME. But difficulty level is VERY low. That and I firmly believe in wood stocks.... this may change very shortly... but for now...

I just put my Socom in a MCS and that thing is a tank, added about a pound over the basic Socom II. The battlerail is probably about as solid, but you can really feel just how solid and rugged the whole MCS is.

I have a Vortex PST 1-4 in arms 22 rings, with Magpul BUIS. It is heavy, but feels well balanced. Pretty much it gives your M1A a flat top.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scouter19D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To be fair, the reason scope mounts don't work on M1A's, is operator error. If its an older standard, your chances of success are actually HIGHER, if that helps. Not to try to sway you from the stock, as it's a great piece. BUT if you're trying to watch the cash flow, you really can't beat a Sadlak Airborne Steel mount. If you can read, and follow basic instructions, you can mount one in an hour. I'm mechanically, well, stupid, and had no problem installing the mount. Getting elevation set perfectly did take some TIME. But difficulty level is VERY low. That and I firmly believe in wood stocks.... this may change very shortly... but for now...</div></div>

I have a couple buddies that have went through some nightmareish time with mounting a scope to out of spec Springfield receivers.....dropped a bunch of cash and always end up pulling it off and going back to irons. One went to a Sage and ditched it due to the fact that you couldn't field strip it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scouter19D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That being said... troy makes some great stuff dont they?</div></div>

I think so. It looks like you could drive a hammer with it. I found it can be had a little cheaper if you buy it from Fulton instead of Troy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deltablack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just put my Socom in a MCS and that thing is a tank, added about a pound over the basic Socom II. The battlerail is probably about as solid, but you can really feel just how solid and rugged the whole MCS is.

I have a Vortex PST 1-4 in arms 22 rings, with Magpul BUIS. It is heavy, but feels well balanced. Pretty much it gives your M1A a flat top.</div></div>
So, the fact is that you would say that it is absolutely solid as a rock??? I have a Mark 4 Leupold 10x to put on it--and will put flip ups. I hate the thought of tearing off the original irons.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bennyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
So, the fact is that you would say that it is absolutely solid as a rock??? I have a Mark 4 Leupold 10x to put on it--and will put flip ups. I hate the thought of tearing off the original irons. </div></div>

Did I mention it's solid? Two screws in the rear sight pocket, one in the side of the receiver, and a detent pin that holds the far of the two together, yeah, solid.

Also it doesn't attach to the replacement ferrule by the gas system, the upper rail is able to slide freely along the ferrule, this is a well thought out portion as it prevents binding as the barrel heats and expands. This reduces that as a factor in a poi shift. You can also tweak the ferrule's lower portion, changing the pressure it exerts on the stock.

It is an excellent system for optics, but it has drawbacks. It is heavy, and you lose the factory optics.

I hear the Sage is also very good for accuracy, it's lighter, and you can use the factory irons. You'll lose the quick take down though.

The vltor upper rail is another option, I originally had the cluster rail from the Socom II and had good success with accuracy, even with an extended mount to get the scope far enough back. I recently got the newest mount, the CASV-14 and it is very similar. It's sturdy, but not nearly as rugged as the MCS. I'm not worried about losing my zero, but it is much lighter.

As with most things in life, there is no clear cut 'best' option. There are pros and cons, but I like my MCS and how it feels. I'm not a big guy and the weight still isn't that noticible because of how well it is positioned. If you don't mind a 11-12 pound gun after all the optics have been added, it is excellent.

Also, I got the bare chassis for $550ish (not direct from Troy), just had to add a buffer tube and stock.

Troy had something like 30% off for black Friday, and something similar for veteran's day. I wish I could tell you when they normally have sales, but it might be worth waiting for one. I heard someone got a complete setup (like the one you linked) for around $650. You'll notice they include the troy flip up sights too.

I used to always tear down my rifle for cleaning... not anymore, wastes ammo getting it all settled again. Because of this new mindset I don't mind the Sage. However some people's head will explode if they can't do it, to each their own.

I've tried a Troy, it was okay. The weight and losing the original irons turned me off. I don't care what anyone says, flip up BUIS are not as solid and can shift zero.

Get what blows your skirt up, figure out what you want out of the chassis and platform and go from there. This is what I did when I went from a McMillan to a JAE and then from a JAE to a Sage...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deltablack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, I got the bare chassis for $550ish (not direct from Troy), just had to add a buffer tube and stock.

Troy had something like 30% off for black Friday, and something similar for veteran's day. I wish I could tell you when they normally have sales, but it might be worth waiting for one. I heard someone got a complete setup (like the one you linked) for around $650. You'll notice they include the troy flip up sights too.</div></div>

I think this is the route I'm going to go--I'll pick the grip and stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoExpert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used to always tear down my rifle for cleaning... not anymore, wastes ammo getting it all settled again. Because of this new mindset I don't mind the Sage. However some people's head will explode if they can't do it, to each their own.

I've tried a Troy, it was okay. The weight and losing the original irons turned me off. I don't care what anyone says, flip up BUIS are not as solid and can shift zero.

Get what blows your skirt up, figure out what you want out of the chassis and platform and go from there. This is what I did when I went from a McMillan to a JAE and then from a JAE to a Sage...</div></div>

The glory of an M14--you can shoot it and shoot it more--and still don't have to clean it.
smile.gif

anybody aware of anybody having these in stock? I have seen some reasonable prices, but NO stock.