• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SA Scout Squad - Dot or Scope? Which do you prefer in Scout configuration?

Rockrivr1

TD Arms
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2010
Mass
Last weekend I picked up a SA Scout Squad while perusing a local gun store. I've been toying with the idea of setting up a semi auto scout rifle so the price was right and it came home with me. Now I'm looking at whether I want to put a dot or scope the rifle. If it was your rifle, or you already have done this, what did you decide to go with and why? This will primarily be a paper and steel puncher from ranges anywhere from 50 to 100 yards. Some shots could be longer but I think that is the sweet spot.

So what do you think?

Thanks

50-100 yards? Leave it alone, shoot the irons. But also, 50-100 yards with a semi auto battle rifle in 308?

Reactions: msgriff
Scout Squads have a lot of options for sighting. The irons are quite good. A 2-7 long eye relief scout scope would do nicely and is my preference with quick detach rings. For receiver mounted optics, I suggest looking at Basset single screw low picatinny mount.

I think ultimak makes a better scout mount setup for the M1A than that 6 bolt garbage barrel clamp pic rail they come with. I had a scout squad for a while and it was a complete garbage rod...a reliably cycling but shot like he'll garbage rod. My uncle has a standard that shot beautiful.

Full disclosure, I never bought or used the ultimak mount but heard good things. I bought some Canadian mount that replaces the rear sight and turned it into kind of a poor man's M21 White Feather. I had a scope mounted on it for a while and that was the most success I had. Held zero just fine, but the gun just wasn't a shooter, regardless of sighting system.

Found it!

I think ultimak makes a better scout mount setup for the M1A than that 6 bolt garbage barrel clamp pic rail they come with. I had a scout squad for a while and it was a complete garbage rod...a reliably cycling but shot like he'll garbage rod. My uncle has a standard that shot beautiful.

Full disclosure, I never bought or used the ultimak mount but heard good things. I bought some Canadian mount that replaces the rear sight and turned it into kind of a poor man's M21 White Feather. I had a scope mounted on it for a while and that was the most success I had. Held zero just fine, but the gun just wasn't a shooter, regardless of sighting system.

Found it!
These work well, other than losing the rear sight, but they r solid

Last weekend I picked up a SA Scout Squad while perusing a local gun store. I've been toying with the idea of setting up a semi auto scout rifle so the price was right and it came home with me. Now I'm looking at whether I want to put a dot or scope the rifle. If it was your rifle, or you already have done this, what did you decide to go with and why? This will primarily be a paper and steel puncher from ranges anywhere from 50 to 100 yards. Some shots could be longer but I think that is the sweet spot.

So what do you think?

Thanks
I see that configuration of a weapon as a "Damage Weapon".... In many ways it is defensive. It falls between the long range bolt gun and the pistol. It all depends on the situation. With that one, I don't concern myself with MOA.
This one works for me.

So what do you think?

Thanks
This is a set up that I contemplated for a long time. Due to the price of the rifle, I never brought it to fruition, but I did a lot of research on just this set up (an M1A "scout rifle" based on Jeff Cooper's concept).

Some of the considerations I ran into have been covered here already but I'll share my findings anyway:

1) Comb of the stock: the stock is designed to be used with irons. Any scope you put on there will likely require a riser. I believe Mr. Gunsngear did a set up with a low mount and Burris 2-7 scout scope that gets the optic down as low as possible. Looked really slick. It might work without needing to install a cheek riser, but definitely take the scope height into consideration when looking at how to mount it.

2) Optic mount clamps around the barrel. Some of the aftermarket ones mentioned above free float the barrel. It's obvious that mounting the optic onto the barrel will affect POI, but I'm not sure if it would affect accuracy, assuming that everything is tightened down properly. If I were going to do this, I would probably buy the Canadian rail or the Ultimak (this choice would come down to aesthetics for me, and I actually think that the factory mount with cut-out handguard looks the best... but the trade-off of being barrel-mounted is a deal breaker for me). Fulton Armory also makes a rail.

3) Accuracy is what I would consider below par even for a rack grade rifle. There are some solutions here. The one I liked the best for what my intentions would have been, I found on a chuckhawks article. He laps the barrel with a DIY barrel lapping product by Tubbs. He also replaced the trigger and I think bedded the stock... maybe some other things. Anyway, here is the link: https://chuckhawks.com/affordable_accuracy.htm

HAD one. If you add any optic of any weight on the forward rail accuracy is out the window. The only thing I would mount on the forward rail is a light red dot. That rail clamps around the middle of the barrel...bad design.

If you want to mount a scope I would use the normal receiver mount.
Agree with above lap the barrel.

Reactions: Stevo86
I have been using a vortex strike fire red dot on my M1A loaded model . I have a sadlak scope mount since I normally run a magnified optic but with all the leaf's on the tree's and foliage I really can't see much past 75 yds except for the power line right of way so fast is important at this time . you should be fine with a red dot mounted on a quality mount . I had a casm mount one of those that replaces the rear sight . I didn't like it . the Sadlak works best for me . you should be ok with what you state your needs are . I would also suggest a better red dot than the vortex strike fire I have . It was free , so there's that . I would suggest something like an aim point pro and the sadlak mount . you can take the optic off and still use the iron sight's .

Just remember that with a dot-if you can see it--you can hit it!

Put an Aimpoint Micro on it and run it like a rented mule

Just got a Scout Squad. The Mount to replace the rear sight with a primary arms 3X prism has really peaked my interest.

PXL_20220807_184303899-01.jpeg

Just got a Scout Squad. The Mount to replace the rear sight with a primary arms 3X prism has really peaked my interest.

PXL_20220807_184303899-01.jpeg
I have done been down that road with the scope mount that replaces the rear sight . Don't do it , You're you're removing one of the best features of the rifle . get a sadlak or basset mount .You will have more option's with either of the two I mentioned ,plus when you remove the rear sight you will lose the little detent ball out of the sight and have to order another .