• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SAC And 419 Dies

Chris1972

Private
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2013
I’ve been experimenting with different styles of dies for a while out of curiosity and have worked my way to these two. I’ve yet to buy them and wanted some input from here before I do.

Is one of these dies better than the other, and is either of them worth the squeeze?

I’m leaning towards the SAC because of how modular it is. One die would cover two cartridges I load for regularly. Plus the suggestion that it will not have the potential donut that I’m subject to get from my Redding Competition bushing die.

I have both. I like the SAC dies better. The A419 die I have for 6.5 CM seems to size the neck too far down on my Lapua brass and needs a good bit of force to drag the mandrell back through the case neck even when lubed. What I like about the SAC die is you can choose the neck size you need and it works much more smoothly. They both do a good job of sizing so either one works well for its purpose.

The SAC dies are really pricey, but I think totally worth it. The neck/shoulder bushing design works really well, and the modular nature actually saves you money if you're loading a family of cartridges. I started with one just to try out about a year ago, and now I'm slowly but surely replacing all of my trusty Redding dies with the SAC dies. I

Reactions: simonp and kampr
The SAC dies are really pricey, but I think totally worth it. The neck/shoulder bushing design works really well, and the modular nature actually saves you money if you're loading a family of cartridges. I started with one just to try out about a year ago, and now I'm slowly but surely replacing all of my trusty Redding dies with the SAC dies. I
Really expensive until you compare them to the A419 dies!

I’ve had both dies as well, my area 419 dasher die is smooth and works perfect my BR die I worry I’m going to get a case stuck eventually. I don’t think either die is producing better ammo. I actually sent my br die back to get looked at, hoping it comes back working like my dasher die. My only complaint with the sac die is I had to back mine up a good bit from the shell holder to get the shoulder bump right.

It looks like the SAC is the choice of the day. I’ll be ordering it with a bushing for the 7-08.

If I like it I’ll order one for the .260 as well but I’m thinking I’m not going to like how you have to change the die to bump the shoulder correctly when you change calibers. We will see, the 419 Zero modular shell holder kit may make this as easy as changing a shell holder, if that’s the case it’s a win for sure.

Damn. Maybe that’s a concession SAC makes to make the die more versatile.

I had the area 419 shell holder kit and I still had to back off from that
Your chamber may have been cut long, or it could be die related. I use the -2 shell plate in my 419 set and a thou shim in a SAC 223 die and I'm barely bumping .002"

Did you use the supplied shims?

IMG_0391.png

Zero shims used.
Possible with the barrel but I use factory AI barrels and factory proof prefit barrels. But regardless the dies produced excellent ammo I just switched to the 419 dies just because it was easier to adjust shoulder bump.

The die and bushing are on the way. I appreciate all the feedback. I may update this after I get some time with it. Unfortunately it will be here the day before I go back to work.

Yes, it seems simple, I’m surprised this style bushing hasn’t been explored more.

Actually it looks like my dumb ass got two identical neck/shoulder bushings. It comes with one and I ordered one. 3 whiskey buying power.

Anyone need a SAC .308 neck bushing for a 7-08 with Lapua brass? Lol

There are also WTC custom dies and Treibel for those looking for somewhere to dispose of income

And the Cortina Precision sizing die. We have sizing dies running out our, well you know.

Last edited:
Yes, it seems simple, I’m surprised this style bushing hasn’t been explored more.
Been around for ever…nothing new, and yes I also use the SAC dies… two or three very prominent die makers in the last 30 years have done the same thing. Just another copy of a copy.

Reactions: memilanuk