• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SAC Infinity Die

3rdfocal

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2013
Anyone using a Short Action Customs infinity seating die?

It appears advertised as the "only die" you need seat bullets in multiple calibers but it also seems like you'll have to go through a full setup process of measure/adjust every time you switch back/forth between calibers. I was hoping this die would provide some quick and repeatable way to swap between calibers like say a 6BRA and 308. Haven't bought one btw, just eyeing new stuff.

Against my better judgement, I ordered a set so I'll let you know if it's as cool as it seems or if I'm just going to be screaming "I knew I shouldn't have gone down the arbor die route AGAIN!"

Reactions: ifgator and simonp
Against my better judgement, I ordered a set so I'll let you know if it's as cool as it seems or if I'm just going to be screaming "I knew I shouldn't have gone down the arbor die route AGAIN!"
Let me know how it works, especially swapping calibers.

Interesting concept, but I would prefer to have dedicated dies for each cartridge to avoid that hassle of reconfiguring every time I reload.

Curious to hear how this works out for people.

Reactions: Taylorbok
IMG_5192.jpeg

Unit just arrived and this thing is built like a high precision tank. Fit and finish are superb and clicks are oddly satisfying in a way that makes my good scopes seem mushy.

Will try loading some .300NM & 6mm Creedmoor tonight and let you know if I’m kicking myself or going to the in-line seater darkside again.

View attachment 8215430
Unit just arrived and this thing is built like a high precision tank. Fit and finish are superb and clicks are oddly satisfying in a way that makes my good scopes seem mushy.

Will try loading some .300NM & 6mm Creedmoor tonight and let you know if I’m kicking myself or going to the in-line seater darkside again.
Haha your die has a better turret than your scopes! Looking forward to hear about how it works.

Ok, so I spent about an hour doing some experiments with the die and here are my initial impressions:

• It's remarkedly consistent.
I started with a .300NM load I use with 250 A-Tips at 2.793" COAL and first made a dummy round in my traditional press. Setting up the die is pretty straight forward; picked the M3 stem, placed the dummy in the base, added the body on top, and did a little trial and error with the pusher and dialing the body so it was just flush. When I seated a new case/bullet combo, the COAL was spot-on. I repeated this six times with fresh cases/bullets and the results were +/-0.0005" which is impressive from my experience. Even with my old LE Wilson/Sinclair dies I didn't get that kind of consistency, nor with my traditional press with Redding or RCBS seaters.

• changing cartridges isn't a pain, but it's a little involved
I reset the micrometer, swapped seating stems and bases for 6mm Creed, then did the trial and error fitting of the pusher. Took probably 3 minutes or so. Again, super consistent results.

Obviously it's still too early to say much more, but I'm really liking it so far. One of the main reasons I got this is because after all these years I still don't have a seater for .338LM Improved 40 that I'm particularly happy with. I started with a custom die set from CH4D, and that seater left a lot to be desired. The best I've had so far is a custom Whidden die and I have a love/hate relationship with those micrometers. I even tried Whidden's inline seater conversion, but that was a big mistake. This SAC die may do the trick this time.

If this die wasn't so expensive, I'd probably get one for each major cartridge I load so all I'd have to do is adjust the micrometer. But swapping out stems and resetting the micrometer isn't that big of a deal. Swapping the cartridge sleave for smaller cases like .223 might be a bit of a pain though. So...I'm pretty happy so far.

I just used mine for the first time on 308 and 22 Creedmoor, super accurate, easy to change calibers, what do i do with all of the dies i bought now?

So when changing calibers, you'd zero the micrometer and then adjust to back up to your known setting?

So when changing calibers, you'd zero the micrometer and then adjust to back up to your known setting?

Yes, you reset the dial to make the sleeve flush with the top, but unfortunately you can't dial back to a known setting because the micrometer doesn't show how far you've gone up or down. When you turn the micrometer, it moves the insert up or down. So far I've just been taking note of roughly how high-from-flush the insert is when changing cartridges, then just dial it into the ballpark of where it should be. This is where having a dummy round for your load makes the whole process much faster and less trial-n-error. You should already know what length pusher is used, reset the micrometer, drop in the dummy round with the pusher, then dial it until the pusher is flush.

It's easy, but a little involved - that's all. It's still crazy consistent like I've never experienced with any seater dies.

Reactions: absp123
Yes, you reset the dial to make the sleeve flush with the top, but unfortunately you can't dial back to a known setting because the micrometer doesn't show how far you've gone up or down. When you turn the micrometer, it moves the insert up or down. So far I've just been taking note of roughly how high-from-flush the insert is when changing cartridges, then just dial it into the ballpark of where it should be. This is where having a dummy round for your load makes the whole process much faster and less trial-n-error. You should already know what length pusher is used, reset the micrometer, drop in the dummy round with the pusher, then dial it until the pusher is flush.

It's easy, but a little involved - that's all. It's still crazy consistent like I've never experienced with any seater dies.
Good info, thank you. I wish it had a way of repeating to the same measurement without much trial and error. I may give one of these dies a shot.

I just used it to load 50x of a .300NM load and it was very consistent throughout, except a couple seated about 0.005” long. Hmm, that’s weird; what’s the correlation?

Neck tension.

Those oddballs had much tighter necks (hadn’t been through the last step with the mandrel like the others). The seating force disparity was a clue, but measuring after seating confirmed it. So just make sure your neck tension is consistent.

Reactions: ifgator
Does everyone still like their SAC Infinity die? Accuracy? Repeatability?

Works exactly as advertised. The downside is as mentioned above is that you have to re-adjust the die anytime you change cartridges. We do quite a few cartridges, so it's nice to not have 20 different wilson dies. But at the same time, 20 different wilson dies would be more convenient as far as time is concerned. So, basically the exact reason the die is nice to have is also the only real downside.....if that makes sense.

What we have found is the most efficient way to set the die for something you've already load in the past is to keep a dummy round labeled and loaded to length you want. Keep track of the seating plunger as well as the bullet stem you used. With the dummy round installed in the die, crank the micrometer down until you can feel the base and plunger move (if you hold the die up in the air with both hands, you'll be able to push the base and the plunger back and forth and feel it move each way slightly), then back the micrometer off until there is zero movement to be felt.

That will put you a few thou longer than your dummy round. You can start loading and use the first round to take a measurement and adjust the die down those last few clicks to get it perfect.

If you don't want to have a bunch of dummy rounds, then you can just keep notes on which stem and plunger used, get if semi close without a round in it, then seat your first round, measure and adjust however much.

Reactions: Dogtown
I stopped using mine and went to all LE Wilson SS Micrometer in line seating dies with a K&M Arbor Press. Best move I ever made. Talk about true 0.001 click adjustments, zero runout (your neck prep/sizing plays a big role in this fyi) and you can tell your neck tension consistency. And at $109 a die I had zero issues buying one for every caliber I own. I absolutely love them.

Gonna have a metric ton of dies in the PX when I get around to taking pictures and posting them up..

I stopped using mine and went to all LE Wilson SS Micrometer in line seating dies with a K&M Arbor Press. Best move I ever made. Talk about true 0.001 click adjustments, zero runout (your neck prep/sizing plays a big role in this fyi) and you can tell your neck tension consistency. And at $109 a die I had zero issues buying one for every caliber I own. I absolutely love them.

Gonna have a metric ton of dies in the PX when I get around to taking pictures and posting them up..

I'm actually considering this. I really like the Infinity Die, but when you load a lot of different cartridges, it does get annoying to keep changing.

Considering using all Wilson dies and keeping the Infinity Die around when we get an oddball request. Also, pretty convenient and cheap to buy the blanks and just chamber them ourselves.

Reactions: memilanuk
I'm actually considering this. I really like the Infinity Die, but when you load a lot of different cartridges, it does get annoying to keep changing.

Considering using all Wilson dies and keeping the Infinity Die around when we get an oddball request. Also, pretty convenient and cheap to buy the blanks and just chamber them ourselves.

The fit and finish and machine work on the LE Wilson SS dies, both seating and FL Bushing sizing dies are a clear step up from all your traditional dies. Their sizing dies are so damn smooth, size like butter..

I bought the VLD stems for all mine as well...

I load precision on a 550c with 2 toolheads for every caliber (sizing and loading)... love my SAC seating die but I'm not buying 1 for every toolhead.. thats when I tried a LE Wilson and was hooked.

Sounds like maybe I need to upgrade my LE Wilson seater... mine pre-dates when Wilson offered anything more than the bare minimum, and any additional functionality (like a micrometer top) were upgrades purchased separately from Sinclair International.
1000010198.jpg

The fit and finish and machine work on the LE Wilson SS dies, both seating and FL Bushing sizing dies are a clear step up from all your traditional dies. Their sizing dies are so damn smooth, size like butter..

I bought the VLD stems for all mine as well...

I load precision on a 550c with 2 toolheads for every caliber (sizing and loading)... love my SAC seating die but I'm not buying 1 for every toolhead.. thats when I tried a LE Wilson and was hooked.

Which Wilson dies are you using for seating in a press? I wasn't aware they had traditional seating dies. Just tradition sizing dies and inline chamber seating dies.

That's what I thought at first. Then I confused myself about the part you were talking about using tool heads.

Been using these for years. Picked up the SAC modular version of an inline die and like it a lot. But probably just going back to having a wilson die for each cartridge.

Reactions: padom