• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SAC or GAP -- About to order a new Build.

AnschutzNerd

Private
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2010
World Traveler
Hide,

I am well aware that SAC and GAP have a well earned reputation. I currently own one GAP rifle.

I will be having a new bolt gun made and hope to drop a check in the mail next week. I have received a quote from both of these companies and price is equal. One of these shops can produce the rifle much faster than the other.

Can anyone sway me one way or the other? Private Messages welcomed.

AnschutzNerd

Go with the shorter lead time.

Why wait longer than you need to?

Plus, that way you can have both a GAP and SAC in the safe.

Personally see no problem with asking input from folks on rifle builds, glass, tacticool toilet paper--it's at least part of what the site if for.

I've owned and still have GAP's and love them. If ordering another rifle, would go with GAP--in fact have two there now. But, based on the builds I've seen and their results, would not even hesitate ordering from SAC.

This couch monkey/fanboy says GAP, but can't go wrong where your looking.

Go with SAC you will not only be happy with your rifle but the level of customer service that you will be provided with will be amazing...I am currently having a .260 Remington built by them and I have sent them loads of questions and have changed my minds multiple times during the process. I can't say enough about SAC...I haven't even shot my rifle yet...let alone held it but I would strongly suggest them to anyone I know just purely based off the amazing customer service and the results of previous builds them have done in the past ! Don't look back...SAC ALL THE WAY !!!

I'm having SAC build a rifle for me right now. The reason I went with Mark is because he had all the parts of my build in stock. The rifle should be done in a month or so.

I have rifles and have had work done by both. Both are outstanding. Flip a coin...it's a win-win scenario for you.

Random perspective if you reload ... I had (2) GAP 6.5x47 builds on hand, so I went with GAP for my last rifle. All 3 have near identical chambers with only 0.005" variance, so I share ammo & load recipe among them with great result. Beats having different lots of ammo specific to each gun. 6.5x47 isn't as common as 308, so I gambled that they would use the exact same reamer and it paid off.

Like everyone has stated. You can't go wrong with either builder. Go with the shorter lead time so you can be shooting quicker.

I vote for SAC. I have one and am building another. Attention to detail is great and accuracy has been outstanding. With that said GA also builds fine rifles too.

I have worked with Mark at SAC on a couple of rifles and some barrel work as well
and he has been available whenever decisions needed to be made. If you base your build
on what he has in stock the wait times are minimized. Both rifles he has built for
me shoot lights out if I am doing my part. A big reason I stick with SAC is they are somewhat local
to me and Mark has always been hospitable when I have visited his shop.

The only experience I have with GAP was a semi they built for me and it was a good
experience as well.

Is .005 difference good?

I checked the ogive on the 3 rifles. It's actually 0.003" difference (2.120, 2.121 and 2.123"). Also to clarify, I did not simply assume same chamber based on ogive measure. I conducted brass fit & fired brass measurement tests. So for me, it's good because I load 0.015"-0.020" off the lands, so I just load everything to 2.103" and have a common ammo stash.

Don't want to hijack OP's thread though. My general sidebar thought was just aside from lead time, common ammo stash rules.

Hide,

Thank You for the over-whelming response to my initial inquiry. I know it's essentially: Win-Now vs Win-Later.

AN

Last edited:
You cannot argue with GAP's reputation, and resale value. One thing that sucks about them is how hard it is to get ahold of anyone there. You care constantly playing phone tag.

No bad option here at all. I have been real impressed with SAC. I would also highly recommend the hawk hill custom for the barrel n a SAC