• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Sad awakening

Snuby642

Two Star General
Minuteman
  • Feb 11, 2017
    So last nite I was pumped up and happy with myself going to bed.

Wife smelled smoke in south bedroom. I ran in there, nope not us. Grabbed phone and ran up wind dialing 911 and checking each structure 1x1 as I ran place to place and relayed to fire dispatch.

It was one city block, one.

When I got to the main street I saw flames accross the 4 lane road. Fire department is close and was 3 blocks from me so I stopped and confirmed location and flagged the location.

The crew was going to get there quicker than I. I was gassed, choking on smoke and bad lungs from industrial accident / old.

Many trucks showed up and the houses next to it seemed un harmed.

Flames inside the house were dispatched fairly quick and I went home smiling.

This morning my wifes face book friend told of loosing her mother due to smoke inhalation.

Sucks thinking of I were faster maybe a better outcome.

That sucks but don't beat yourself up. If you were smelling smoke, chances are very high that things were already set in motion. I know thats of little consolation, but it sounds as if you tried harder than most would.

Just a reality check for an old guy.

I have always been fortunate to be in the right place for many times.

Rivers, lakes, campfires firing ranges, choking a couple fires some stupidity on the military side .

Not one loss.

So I guess a new feeling learned.
    One that many first responders know due to the job.

Not a good one.

Rivers, lakes, campfires firing ranges, choking a couple fires some stupidity on the military side .

Not one loss.

Not a good one.
    It does suck. I've been able to bring a couple back, but most are too far gone and all you can do it whatever you're trained and experienced, within policy, scope, etc.

Not one loss.

Not a good one.
    You TRIED!!!!

As stated above sometimes you get lucky and they make it, not your fault and had you got there being winded and tried to go in you might not be here now. Bad things happen and it is never easy but at least you and your family is safe.

Reactions: Jscb1b
    Was told that the woman was probably gone before flames would have been seen from outside.

Don't know.

Going to try to get in better shape but have lungs messed up by bad chemicals at work but surprise just one point off from disabled.

Hard to exercise.

Reactions: dinc
    Very typical that heat and smoke claim the victim before flames.

I can also say my fitness has been lacking. Im sure we can all do better there. But again, you tried.

Many years ago, I grove apon a bad semi crash. Rig on its side and running when I arrived. Cab was so bad, i couldn't get into the driver. He bled out and died but a friend happened to also be there acknowledged that I tried.

There's three reactions to a stressful situation. Freeze, Fight or Flight. Two of those are worthless but you are not always successful when you fight. You just have to accept that you did something while others didn't/couldn't. No shame in that.

Reactions: lash
    @Snuby642

To echo what others have said.
    You did something. Not just something, you reacted the right way to a dangerous situation and did everything you could do.

Along with many of the others, I am familiar with how much this can suck from experience.

A friend of mine recently passed away did a lot of work with vets and PTSD. He was a vet himself and was acutely aware of it’s effects.

One thing he always would say when the “I have seen things no one should ever see” comes out as part of talking about it.

“Yes, you were chosen for this and YOU chose it. Otherwise the entirety of society would see and deal with it”.

If not your actions, how many others?

I have some time today, PM me your digits and I will call you.
    I have talked through this with A LOT of new nurses, paramedics, and firefighters.

God Bless and take care sir.

Elija

Throw me in the “don’t beat yourself up” group.

You gave it a great effort and went way beyond what anyone else was doing.

I’ve had the same feeling as you on a few runs at work. You end up being your own worst critic with thoughts that you weren’t fast enough, or good enough, or brave enough.

But if you look objectively, you will see that you would have only added to the recovery work of the FD had you gone into the building.

You did all you could!

Reactions: powdahound76
    Sounds like you couldn’t have done anything much differently. Think about all the other people who smelled smoke and didn’t do anything.

I have 15 combat tours.

The shit that gets me is the accidents have come on while travelling around our own country. Especially when I am the first on there and trying to get the emergency services started. In the old pre-mobile phone days it was just so deadily.

Snuby, just the simple fact of "you WERE out there, and you WERE "doing it" sets you far apart and above. How many of your neighbors did you encounter when you were out searching for the source?

That's saying something. You did NOT light the fire that caused this, and you did NOT cause this woman's death. We all Thank You though, for Standing Up and Stepping Forward.

Blessings,

My dad did fire and rescue from his early 20's til he was no longer physically able to run the pumps. He once told me that the 1st rule is don't add to the victim list.

Looks to me like you saved everyone in the surrounding homes. Excellent job, sir.

A little torment.
    Every time a direct south wind blows I can still smell it.
    Windows all open this time of year.