• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Safariland is the Henry Ford of Holster Makers

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    I was up at Sig Sauer last week and before going I knew I was going to ask one question and hope "No" was the answer.

I wanted to buy one of the M18 Commemoratives that "replicates" the trials pistol chosen by USMC as the Beretta replacement.

Its a dumb Marine fetish I have......I wish there was a cure.

Sadly the counter guy said "Yes, yes we do have those in stock"

Its twice the cost of a plain M18 with black controls and unlike the trials pistol it probably wont even shoot me when I drop it...but its got baby shit colored controls and stocking numbers stamped all over it.....The standard M18 is probably closer to an issue pistol as the issue guns now have black controls.

1622138273385.png

So a new gun requires a new holster.

Garrett Industries ordering......EASY! Picked coyote, lining, sweatshield, desired attaching option, even ordered an adapter so I can use it as a training holster with a G-Code set up.

Safariland though with ALS is the desired training holster.

Used their holster finder and got some 38 choices for a Sig 320 compact. You think any of them match what Im looking for - NO!

Can I get coyote in a 6377 ALS as it indicates is possible? Click on the link appears only black if you want a slide attachment. If Im willing to get a 6377 ALS with Tek Lok though FDE is an option.

Message Safariland because I want a 6377 in Coyote with belt slide even though I plan on mounting a G-Code plate.

Response...

Hello,

This holster only comes in black for that particular firearm fit. There may be other colors for different firearms but we have only brought out black for this particular firearm fitment.

Thank you,

Safariland Customer Care.

But I know it comes in FDE with a Tek Lok because that is what I ended up ordering yet with sheets of plastic why cant they throw a coyote blank in the oven and make me what I want? Fuck charge me for it!

I think the USMC is using a 7 series holster for their M18 but its a dual purpose holster to fit the M17 as well.

My work uses the 6377 ALS and its a neat compact design that fits a compact M&P well. I expect similar when I get my FDE one for the Sig.......but oh the mismatching colors.......the horror!

Im just a slave to fashion.

Attachments

• 1622138050561.png
      1622138050561.png
      6.8 MB · Views: 70
    Last edited:
    • Haha
    Reactions: USMC22
    You did it backwards for yourself. Picked the gun color then tried to source the matching holster color. Live and learn.

• Haha
    Reactions: pmclaine
    I think it will look better in the black holster, it will give it some contrast instead of just this big FDE thing on your hip!

This what you looking for?
    View attachment 7635694

Yep thats the 7 series.

I know its probably issue but its for the full size gun as well as the compact.

The 6377 is tight just better lines without the added crap like the recesses and ridges.

This is what I wanted....

1622255143270.png

But apparently you cant order it for a compact 320.

the holster finder is terrible, lol.
    i would call them.

Also all the new ones arent the lined kydex..they all some kind of polymer now.
    some of their models use some kind of polymer "without fillers" that they claim means it will not scuff your gun.

I tend to agree, though their quality is still up there. I ended up having to modify 2 of their holsters so that they would accommodate red dots. Cooks holsters just took forever to get anything done. I ended up going back to Safariland after cancelling the Cook's orders.

I tend to agree, though their quality is still up there. I ended up having to modify 2 of their holsters so that they would accommodate red dots. Cooks holsters just took forever to get anything done. I ended up going back to Safariland after cancelling the Cook's orders.
    my wife took a chance and got me a tan one for desert trips, lol. operator af. 😂
    anyway, since i run my p226 both with irons and sometimes with an RX slide, i wanted to see if i could cut it without destroying it.
    just demonstrates it is possible if you can't find something exactly right but prefer some active retention. i used a dremel and cutting wheel.

cutholdsterCapture.JPG

Reactions: Sgtsideways
    Pretty much what I ended up doing. I also removed the retaining system and adjusted the tension. OK for me, but I would never recommend that for others. It has been put thru the acid test, with running, outdoor work routine, ect. For a drop holster, I'm really happy with the result.
    The real challenge on the one holster was getting the striker trigger system totally covered without ruining the holster.

Pretty much what I ended up doing. I also removed the retaining system and adjusted the tension. OK for me, but I would never recommend that for others. It has been put thru the acid test, with running, outdoor work routine, ect. For a drop holster, I'm really happy with the result.
    The real challenge on the one holster was getting the striker trigger system totally covered without ruining the holster.
    in this case, it also needed to allow an x400u, which was tight and i again "went for it", and broke out a heat gun (for shrink tubing around wires) and found the plastic will soften without melting and allow manual manipulation and reshaping.
    again, not recommending unless you are willing to "ruin" the product. i have been a macgyver for decades.

Reactions: Sgtsideways
    Yep thats the 7 series.

I know its probably issue but its for the full size gun as well as the compact.

The 6377 is tight just better lines without the added crap like the recesses and ridges.

This is what I wanted....

View attachment 7635850

But apparently you cant order it for a compact 320.
    Same one I use but ours are black. Just cerakote it or hydro dip it.

I like the lining they use even though with plastic guns does it matter and over time once sand embeds is it doing anything?

This is a 6377 for an M&P .45 compact...

image.jpg

Suede like lining...

image.jpg

G Code adapter....

image.jpg

For use on these belts....

image.jpg

My incoming holster will look much the same as the M&P holster....same FDE color.

@theLBC agreed that holster finder....it's constantly asking "Did you get it" sucks.

I did call them and the human told me although I met find one in Coyote with a drop panel or some other attaching device but if the attaching device I want only offers black, all I get is black.

Dumb.

I like the lining they use even though with plastic guns does it matter and over time once sand embeds is it doing anything?

This is a 6377 for an M&P .45 compact...

Suede like lining...

G Code adapter....

For use on these belts....

My incoming holster will look much the same as the M&P holster....same FDE color.

@theLBC agreed that holster finder....it's constantly asking "Did you get it" sucks.

I did call them and the human told me although I met find one in Coyote with a drop panel or some other attaching device but if the attaching device I want only offers black, all I get is black.

Dumb.
    luckily, the grey suede did not come apart when i cut it.
    i was worried that melting through with that cutting wheel would cause it to delaminate, but it is on there good, lol.
    my wife found the same thing you did (god bless her) because she was trying to find the exact thing (paddle and drop) i run for my p229.
    i prefer als retention, but obviously that runs along the top and you can't cut it to fit an optic...
    she figured i could make it work and when you break the components down, they all can be pieced together.
    rigsCapture.JPG

if you put one of their flex adapters on the back of your shells, you can drop it into one of these and attach a paddle.

luckily, the grey suede did not come apart when i cut it.
    i was worried that melting through with that cutting wheel would cause it to delaminate, but it is on there good, lol.
    my wife found the same thing you did (god bless her) because she was trying to find the exact thing (paddle and drop) i run for my p229.
    i prefer als retention, but obviously that runs along the top and you can't cut it to fit an optic...
    she figured i could make it work and when you break the components down, they all can be pieced together.
    View attachment 7636130

if you put one of their flex adapters on the back of your shells, you can drop it into one of these and attach a paddle.

Im not into the leg adapters.

I really like the hang on the G Code wheel and the new mounts have a leg strap to control holster flop or follow on draw.

Its just tarded by Safariland to likely have what the customer wants but Im guessing because all their shit is made in commie land and comes to the USA pre packaged they dont have the ability to take Coyote holster A and mix it with Belt adapter A.

If they were building in the US they could probably go over to a bin of 6733 of whatever color and match it up with a part from whatever bin of mounts.

I give Safariland props though for design functyion. The ALS is great and when you find a holster you like it really secures the gun and becomes like a 5 gallon bucket when returning to holster. I use them on training/duty stuff while Garrett is for concealed carry.

Reactions: theLBC
    Im not into the leg adapters.

I really like the hang on the G Code wheel and the new mounts have a leg strap to control holster flop or follow on draw.

Its just tarded by Safariland to likely have what the customer wants but Im guessing because all their shit is made in commie land and comes to the USA pre packaged they dont have the ability to take Coyote holster A and mix it with Belt adapter A.

If they were building in the US they could probably go over to a bin of 6733 of whatever color and match it up with a part from whatever bin of mounts.

I give Safariland props though for design functyion. The ALS is great and when you find a holster you like it really secures the gun and becomes like a 5 gallon bucket when returning to holster. I use them on training/duty stuff while Garrett is for concealed carry.
    mostly, i would only be wearing owb if i am out in the desert, likely riding a dirtbike. there is really no need for a firearm on a ride unless you breakdown and encounter a rattlesnake on foot. i want to avoid looking tacticool, but fuck it.

Last edited:
    active retention on a dirtbike is pretty much a must have. at least a strap and snap.
    i have thought about a chest rig but that seems even more operator af, lol.

Reactions: nikonNUT
    Gotta be a small shop custom holster guy who can make what you want. If you wanted leather, I could hook you up, but there’s gotta be 1000 kydex builders out there.

Safariland holsters are made in the USA, in particular the newest models are injected molded and fabricated with their proprietary SafariSeven polymer. It's stronger lighter and better at temperature extremes and water immersion than the older holster models that were fabricated with Kydex using thermolaminate fabrication with a suede lining laminated interior; these are still made for some models in the U.S. but many are "assembled" in Mexico, as stamped on some of the Safariland holsters in photos above in this thread. I have visited the Safariland production plant in Jacksonville FL many times as my friend Bill Rogers, until recently, oversaw their design and production of many of these holsters.

The thermolaminate fabrication is not as precise a fitting as the injected molding so the guns used to rattle around a little bit in the holster, not good for noise discipline. The Kydex material was / is very abrasive to firearm finishes. The suede lining laminate is a patented process of Bill Rogers and accomplishes two tasks (1) quieter (2) a better fit of gun-to-holster, taking up some of the fitment slop. The injected molded holsters do have more external ridges which are engineered for a stronger construct; the external profile of the newer holsters is less than the old style as well, despite these ridges /recesses. The SafariSEven material is not at all abrasive to blued finishes and if the holster has any scuff marks they are easily wiped off with a microfiber cloth.

For pistols with optics that need an open top the Safariland GLS are good options unless you desire complete enclosure with one of their RDS (red dot system) holsters which can be assembled in Level 1-Level3 security variants.

For the P229 / P229c the GLS works fine with an optic mounted and is a Level 1 retention system. The GLS (grip lock system) is also a Level 1 design, like the ALS.

A few examples: Walther PDP, Sig P320 X-TAC, S&W MP 2.0, Sigs P229 / 229C, Springfield Hell Cat
    IMG_8634Walther PDP Sig P320 M&P9 2.0 PC with Leupold Delta Point Pro 2.5 MOA and Holsters 03....jpg
    IMG_9716a copy.jpg
    Sig P229 P224 Safariland GLS 6378 ALS 7TS Photos 2020IMG_5797 copy.jpg
    Sig P229 P224 Safariland GLS 6378 ALS 7TS Photos 2020IMG_5798 copy.jpg
    Sig P229C Safariland GLS HolsterIMG_5790 copy.jpg
    Sig P320 VTAC Wilson Combat Grip GLS Safariland Drop Leg Rig Photos 2020IMG_5805.jpg
    Sig P320 VTAC Wilson Combat Grip GLS Safariland Drop Leg Rig Photos 2020IMG_5806.jpg
    Springfield Armory Hellcat  Apex Trigger Romeo Zero Safariland GLS Holster 11.26.20IMG_7006 copy.jpg
    Springfield Armory Hellcat  Apex Trigger Romeo Zero Safariland GLS Holster Grip Tape 11.27.20I...jpg

Last edited: