• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Safe clean outs - what when why?

CaptArab

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2020
Been buying guns for 10 years or so but I really turned up the hobby a good bit 4-5 years ago when I bought some land I could shoot on.

Started building ARs, reloading, then got into the less mainstream cartridges like most of us do. 6BR, BRA, 22BR, grendel varieties, etc.

Did a big inventory reduction last year to take me down to 223, 308, 243, 6.5CM, 22CM, 38, 357, 9mm, 45, 22lr, and 17hmr. Reloading for all the centerfires.

Still it just feels like too much.

Part of me things I'd be happy if I could start over with a 10.5, and 18" AR in 223, my 223 and 6.5 bolt guns, a couple Glocks and my rimfires.

Honestly I think the threat of TEOTWAWKI bartering abilities is the only thing holding me back at this point. Oh and dedicated silencers that'd be left homeless.

Curious to hear the hindsight perspective of those who've thinned the heard. Are you happier with less? Anything you miss or regret?

Reactions: DIBBS
I went from a vault full of rifles to just a few rifles, I very much agree that less is more. Even when I had a bunch of rifles there was only a few I really shot much and my gun ADHD wanting to sell this and buy that was far worse.

I’ve got a few rifles and a few pistols now and aside from a nice 22 bolt gun (sold my Anschutz 5-6 years ago) and a couple more impact barrels and maybe a second action there’s really nothing else that I want.

What good is a toy you cannot play with?
One that’s worth significantly more than I paid for it, and will undoubtedly always be worth more than it was last year. I have quite a few pieces that haven’t seen the light of day since I bought them and won’t until I’m gone and my kids do what they want with them

Reactions: hino895
Any time I "sell a few average ones to buy one really good one", all that does is raise my tolerance to the higher price, I soon end up with just as many as I had before, only with a lot more in them.

Though I am getting ready to get rid of probably half of my mil surplus stuff. Not because I don't enjoy owning them anymore, but while most of them never got shot a lot, many of them now have sights that I can no longer get along with and probably won't get shot again. (But I have no illusions, those spots will more than likely get filled with scoped rifles.)

• Haha
Reactions: Yondering
Honestly one of the reasons I end up keeping a few rigs is simply because they host an old tax stamp 😕

Feels dumb to have a can or lower sitting in a drawer without a purpose, so I keep the whole rifle sitting around.

Also getting rid of reloading components is kinda a pain unless you luck out and find buyer wanting brass / dies / bullets.

I guess what I'm getting at is selling is harder than buying, but I need to just man up and move some stuff.

I guess what I'm getting at is selling is harder than buying, but I need to just man up and move some stuff.

This. Freakin’ this right here. :confused:

As a dude, maybe this is weird but whatever: I LOVE “retail therapy.” I love that new toy feeling. I love the hunt for that new toy. I love learning everything about that new toy during the hunt so I can make the most educated purchase. And when I get that new toy in the mail, it’s like Christmas. It’s a vice of mine that I struggle with in phases, but I just really like “stuff.”

But then I go into the garage, or my “den” and see how much absolute crap I have and it’s overwhelming. So then I sell a bunch of stuff to make room, and selling things SUCKS. The work required to get everything out, take photos, host them, write a description, go post it everywhere, manage the ad and all the PMs, package things up, and ship them blows chunks. And shipping prices these days are effing ridiculous. But I 100% get it. In our house, it’s “garbage out, garbage in,” because I’m not made of money. If you need space, funds, or whatever, selling can be a necessary evil if you’re like some of us that just enjoy trying new things.

I’ve steadily sold things off as I’ve refined my interests over the years. I also went through a period where I sold a lot of things I didn’t WANT to sell to fund another need, and in doing so I narrowed my caliber choices down a lot to simplify. I’ve strayed only recently to pick up a few .17cal centerfires that I’ve always wanted to try, but aside from that, I’m a .22LR, 9mm, .223, 6.5, and .308 guy. Life is just easier that way. 🤷‍♂️

This is something I've been marinating on as of late. Very seriously considering getting rid of everything except for the basics that shoot
readily available factory ammo. The only down side of that is dealing with fucktards when the for sale ads go up.

I view guns as long term investments that I have no problem holding until the sale works itself out. I have some that I would sell now, but I’m in no rush. I just take the easy sales that fall in my lap. They are like precious metals, they don’t go “bad”.

I just purchased a new handgun that was sort of an impulse buy. I had an older handgun that I didn’t like, so I decided I would sell the old one if opportunity presented itself. No ads, no rush. Mentioned to a friend that I might sell one, he instantly made me an offer for it. Done deal.

One thing about this method is that I may not always get the best price for my stuff selling to aquaintences, but I never get screwed either. It all works out.

Our addiction to “stuff” sucks the joy out of the steadily diminishing time we have left alive. Emergency supplies and actual investment pieces aside, using is infinitely more satisfying than having. This becomes stark and often glossed over when we get too infirm (or lazy) to use the tools, but too insecure to allow our younger loved ones the pleasure of using something that they can’t afford yet due to life obligations. Almost all the retired enthusiasts I know are holding tightly to their “stuff” because they are afraid to admit death is coming. Often they won’t even consider their hard working grand kids as the potential user.

The only down side of that is dealing with fucktards when the for sale ads go up.

This right here. This used to be a great place to sell stuff, it was easy, and people bought stuff for fair prices for both parties.

Now you get lowballing fucktards that want something for nothing (even when you list something for ridiculously cheap), people wanting to trade you shit you don’t want at full MSRP value for their stuff and half or more off lowest available price for yours, and then just the dumbasses asking stupid questions only to never be heard from again. I’ve also had a lot of people welch after committing to purchase because they’re too fucking stupid to read the payment options terms and just assume that you’ll accept any payment method they want to use. People suck ass.

Perfect timing for this thread....

I have been "TRYING" to downsize for some time now, largely unsuccessful thus far. A few items have moved on, more to go.

I purchased a switch barrel action a while back, thinking that would help me consolidate the calibers I like to shoot. I have yet to swap a barrel.

I do have some firearms designated for kids/grandkids, but really need to quit purchasing shit and get down to what I use on a regular basis. Recently shipped and insured a rifle part way across the country and I think shipping/insurance was over a hundred bucks, (and then there is the potential problems with the insurance paying out on same if lost or stolen). The local market, for the most part is cheap or lower dollar items.

As @Basher said it sucks to go into the man cave/loading room and look at the stuff I've accumulated over many years with the hobby. I do enjoy developing loads for a new firearm, but then the rifle sometimes get set in the back of the safe to collect dust and not be used for years.

Hopefully... maybe a big sale, or a bunch of little sales, coming to the PX in the not too distant future. I just gotta do it !

A rifle, a shotgun, and a 4-wheel drive... maybe not quite that drastic.

Last edited:
Our addiction to “stuff” sucks the joy out of the steadily diminishing time we have left alive. Emergency supplies and actual investment pieces aside, using is infinitely more satisfying than having. This becomes stark and often glossed over when we get too infirm (or lazy) to use the tools, but too insecure to allow our younger loved ones the pleasure of using something that they can’t afford yet due to life obligations. Almost all the retired enthusiasts I know are holding tightly to their “stuff” because they are afraid to admit death is coming. Often they won’t even consider their hard working grand kids as the potential user.
Death comes for us all. I'm not in any rush, but when happens, meh, I've had a good run :LOL:.
My biggest thing is, I don't have any kids, and don't think my niece and nephew have any interest in anything other than the
big ticket items. So why not get rid of everything collecting dust?
Interesting enough, the niece, all of 5' 3" and 105 lbs, has already laid claim to my Sig P227 😂

My problem is, I am always trying to get to one that is just a bit better, a bit more perfect. Mind you, the RPR as purchased got me out regularly to the targets on the longest range I shoot at. (That would be as long as that butstock stayed adjusted, the reason I really like the Target Tool butstock) Now, each newer rifle seems to shoot a bit easier and hit targets a bit easier than the previous and then the previous get somewhat neglected.

Hunting rifles, not so much, got the one that is is accurate, shot after shot, kills quickly and basically does the job. It is on its third scope, but only because the scopes were inherited with rifles that just seemed to be more promise than results. Now they are all sold, and I am sticking with the one (least expensive one I might add) that works.

IHMSA handguns. Never found a small bore that really worked. Basically the first one I owned worked great, until Federal discontinued the dimpled target rounds it shot so well. Been through a rear grip and two center grip Anschutz. None of them worked for me despite being accurate handguns. Had an opportunity to purchase a Calfee XP-100 converted to .22LR for only $2000.00. A Real Bargain. Since I always shot the XP’s good, i was stupid to pass it up. Spent at least that or more building centergrip Anschutz and was never happy with them.

So, Big Bore IHMSA. When I found the one that worked for Big Bore and the one that worked for half scale, never looked back and sold all the rest. They still reside in my safe. Shot the money gun a few weeks ago at Altus. (XP-100 in 7TCU, shot more 40x40’s than all the other handguns combined). Between age, a broken right hand and a broken back, the results were not pretty. Not fun which is so sad because it was a lot of fun, and I shot a lot of good matches but all gone now. Hitting a target with that gun that knocked down so many silhouettes not so long ago is now almost just a matter of luck.

Which is why PRS is so much fun. I can hit targets, can expect a bit of success, shoot my own little personal matches against myself (the joy of owning three PRS rifles) and look forward to going to the range. Its what keeps a fellow alive. (That and cycling :LOL: ).

Death comes for us all. I'm not in any rush, but when happens, meh, I've had a good run :LOL:.
My biggest thing is, I don't have any kids, and don't think my niece and nephew have any interest in anything other than the
big ticket items. So why not get rid of everything collecting dust?
Interesting enough, the niece, all of 5' 3" and 105 lbs, has already laid claim to my Sig P227 😂
Selling unused stuff to purchase useful stuff is sound too. Like a boat to “waste” time messing around on the water. There are few things as satisfying as spending time around water, especially for the people that can’t afford it yet.

falls into a couple of categories for me...if not its gone

classic / military (no need to have 11 enfields or mosins, take the best 2 and sell the rest)
sentimental value (dads old 30-06)
light weight hunter
verrry accurate (truthfully if its not old military, if it doesnt shoot minimum around .5 its trash throw it out)
tier 1 (AI, tac ops, knights etc)
2-3 ARs one short, one LR and a third if you really love them

if it doesnt fall into those, its not special so adios

there is nothing special about any custom that you cannot get built again tomorrow
any quality customs all shoot the same, they use the same 5 actions from the same 2 suppliers and the same 3-4 barrel makers for the same price

there is truly nothing special about any AR as they all use "milspec" parts which by its very name means they arent special/ able to be reproduced

we are so lucky that over the last 15 years, the quality of components etc has gotten good enough that everything shoots great and works properly

no need to hang on to a "certain smith" because he has the special sauce, that ship has sailed unless looking for BR/f-class stuff

thats just me though, i got tired of hanging on to stuff about 6-7 years ago

so much stuff sitting the safes that i never looked at anymore

I guess what I'm getting at is selling is harder than buying
In more ways than one. Had this discussion with a person recently, the state and county has made it more difficult to sell them with new laws, rules and regulations. Shipping carriers have made it harder / more expensive to ship them. Why do I have so many? You've made it to where it's not worth the hassle to sell them.

Reactions: Yondering
In more ways than one. Had this discussion with a person recently, the state and county has made it more difficult to sell them with new laws, rules and regulations. Shipping carriers have made it harder / more expensive to ship them. Why do I have so many? You've made it to where it's not worth the hassle to sell them.
ive done a mix of
local person to person
gun store
gun broker

of course i didnt always get exact full dollar for all third-party sales but what good does a 1000$ do in the back of the safe...nothing

take my 700 and buy something i want

if "losing" a few hundred bucks is make or break you shouldnt be shooting ammo that costs 1-2$ a round every weekend

Reactions: kindabitey
I think of my firearms journey like seasons of a TV show.

There was the military separation TEOTWAWKI season.

There was the USPSA season.

There was the two gun season.

There was lever guns, single actions, and rolling blocks.

Etc. etc…

All of these seasons have come and gone and enriched the audience (me).

I didn’t buy firearms. I bought experiences and knowledge.

-Stan

I've realized that I have too many guns in the safe that will never get shot and won't really appreciate in value.

I need to take the time to get good pictures and post them up for sale. Commodity type guns, like stock R700's and T3x's. And too many plastic handguns that even with backups to my backups aren't needed.

Time to make room for bigger glass and nicer custom rifles.

Reactions: brianf
Time is limited and I can only shoot one gun at a time.

This may sound like blasphemy but I haven't purchased a firearm in years. I already have more firearms than I can shoot at any given time, and I probably have less firearms than most on here.

I'm not a collector, so I like to focus on rifles and cartridges that I enjoy using and are of use to me. For reloading purposes, it's nice to keep things simple and only load for a few cartridges. Right now that's 6BRA, 6.5 Creedmoor and .300NM. I don't really have any places near me to make good use of the .300NM, so I would be okay with getting rid of that rifle if I wasn't going to take a bath on it.

Personally I would prefer to own just a few very high quality firearms that I know very well and am very proficient with, rather than own many of moderate quality in which I don't get to shoot very often.

Do what ever makes you happy that's most important ! I don't have as many as most on here but have a decent collection that I want to share with our grand children .
Our oldest grandson was over shooting a Savage cub this weekend . I have a Ruger 10/22 for him when I know he can be trusted with a semi auto.

Sounds like where I'm at with my vinyl record collection. As much as it pains me to part with them because Ive had the majority of them for 50+ years, I've probably listened to any of them a handful of times in the last 15 years. With the resurgance in interest in vinyl, Im thinking it's time to cash in and use the money for things I'll actually use.

Reactions: Texascbr
You nailed it. I believe I would gladly take a huge loss rather than fight the selling/shipping hassle again. I am on the verge of never selling on-line again. Just take em to the gunshop and ask how much they will give me for them. So little worry for just dollars.

My last sale went so bad, (not my fault, not the purchasers fault, just plain bad luck). End up costing me more than the gun was ever be worth.

The day is coming when someone is going to have a heck of a good time going through my shop and safe, getting all the things they ever dreamed of getting.

Ive changed over the last few years from a collector to a shooter. Now i want to be very good with my match guns and proficient with my edc and carbine. It pains me to see so many nice ars and pistols not getting shot but i dont like taking more then 2 guns to the range at a time.

Reactions: DangerRanger
Beware the man with only one gun, he may know how to use it.

I have an acquaintance that's a gun hoarder. Hundreds of guns he can't even get to or find etc. And nothing really exciting or special at all. A bunch of guns worth $400-600 each.

Barely shoots at all. When we go shoot, he brings 5 guns he's never shot, spends most of his time sighting in garbage scopes and generally has a bad time.

Nope that's not me. I'd like to shoot out a bunch of barrels over the next decade

I’ll only sell a gun if I really don’t like it or if I have no sentimental attachment or use for it.

I think it’s healthy for a firearms enthusiast that to shift between collecting and shooting over the years. It’s a fluid thing, no reason be one or the other.

I filled my safe with purpose and utility in mind. Kind of like specific golf clubs making up a set. Home defense/hard use/shtf, USPSA or 3gun, competition, long range as example.

There’s some redundancy but all of my guns have been carefully curated over the years making upgrades and improvements driven by learning and shooting and lot chasing interment fads.

Lately I’ve been adding a few luxury or nostalgic pieces like a nice 1911 and MP5 clone.

I don’t plan on selling any of them, but it’s nice to know I have the option if I had to.

Most of my stuff is hunting related from younger years and family gifts. I have too much crap but figure my can deal with it one day. What drives me nuts is my son told me to never throw the boxes away. My guns aren’t collector items so…….

I love firearms, but I also see whats on the horizon. That being said all of my guns serve a very specific role with the exception of my former duty rifle which was also my first rifle to be modified to exactly what I wanted. All of my guns (with the exception of my Barrett M82) are modified for exactly what I want. Cost isn't really a consideration (I could even say value based on what I have into my SCAR 17) as long as I see the value in the purchase. I dont think I've sold any firearm other than a Glock 17 and Glock 36 since I purchased my first firearm in 2008. I also stick to the basics. 22LR, 38, 9mm, 45, 556, 300blk out, 308, and 50BMG. I think I've got a 44 mag somewhere, but as so many mentioned its not worth the hassle to sell. I subsidize my "interest" through load development and stockpiling. If I didnt have that I'd probably be tempted to buy more guns that I dont need and will not use.

Last edited:
I think it is a good idea to empty out the safe every now and then. You never know what you might find in there…. Sometimes it is almost like NEW GUN DAY!

• Haha
Clipping Shotgun News coupons and bargain shopping gun shows for $189 firearms like a bunch of bitches.

You have trouble moving your “collection” of Ruger, Taurus, Smith and Wesson and HiPoint because you’ve done nothing but amass a pile of shit tier junk.

Clipping Shotgun News coupons and bargain shopping gun shows for $189 firearms like a bunch of bitches.

You have trouble moving your “collection” of Ruger, Taurus, Smith and Wesson and HiPoint because you’ve done nothing but amass a pile of shit tier junk.

this is true.

also, its because the used gun market has ground to a HALT for almost all firearms (certain collectibles will never slow down) in the last 9 months. disposable incomes are depleted.

Bonus points for being an asshole, but that stuff is super easy to sell- just take it down to the pawn shop and put it on consignment. I could sell 5+ $300 handguns by the end of the week.

Bonus points for being an asshole, but that stuff is super easy to sell- just take it down to the pawn shop and put it on consignment. I could sell 5+ $300 handguns by the end of the week.

you are paying for that consignment though. and on lower value guns, theres less wiggle room before you start to lose money. 10% consigned on a $300 gun means you may barely break even. but your point is taken. it can be liquidated, but might be below what its worth.

you are paying for that consignment though. and on lower value guns, theres less wiggle room before you start to lose money. 10% consigned on a $300 gun means you may barely break even. but your point is taken. it can be liquidated, but might be below what its worth.
A Jackson or two is no factor in this hobby 😂

The painful hits IMO are custom action builds, weird cartridge barrels / brass / dies, the new hot reloading gizmo once it's been bested by the newer hotter gizmo, stuff like that.

It seems like when I decide to sell one thing it'll snowball and I start cleaning out a lot of stuff.

I have been considering moving a couple handguns and rifles that have become fairly valuable, the problem is when do I want to cash in the investment. I don't need the money currently so I'd just get into another custom rifle or better glass.

Glad to hear that I’m not the only one who moves them out once interests have changed. I consolidated calibers years ago and have no interest in getting started in a new one just because the hassle of finding a new powder, brass, bullets, etc for the new caliber just takes more time and money that could otherwise be spent shooting or hunting. 6.5CM and 30-06 cover everything I need in centerfires for what I do.

Wondering if spending the money on a higher end action and making a switch barrel that would cover different needs might be the best route. I’ve had the itch for a Kelbly atlas tactical that would be paired with a couple good shouldered prefits and top tier glass (which I already have). It could be more cost effective than multiple complete rifles each with their own optic/stock/trigger. It would also free up some space in the safe too. Having a hard time ponying up the $900-1000 for the action though.

I've gone through similar trends.
This was my thread equal to this one a few years ago.
I've been purging myself of stuff I don't need [or use] at least once a year since.

Last edited:
Only guns I have that I don't shoot are AR's that were built for a purpose years ago, and I just don't get rid of AR's.

My Dad said something about slimming down the collection, or at least that he had hit a wall and couldn't even think of anything he wanted. A year later he started buying defiance actions and building some nice customs. So instead of just 1 6mm brx, he now has 3, because you need a short medium weight barrel for a can, a very long barrel without threads for bench, and a short and very skinny barrel for walking after dogs.

He gave away a few guns to myself and my sisters/BIL's to make some room in the vault, and I think getting rid of a handful of things he hadn't shot in 10+ years just spurred him to refine what he was shooting often.

He is semi-retired, and still probably shoots 150+ different guns through the year. He has found the time to enjoy a large portion of them. Even if that's having 5 laid out so he can rotate through and not get the barrels too hot while shooting a dog town.

I sold 2 rifles 20 years ago on consignment. Only way to go unless selling to a friend. Didn't have to deal with the public and went to the shop and got cash when they sold. I regret selling one but not the other. Might have a few to move later this year but I doubt it. They don't cost anything to keep and I already have ammo for them.

Many years ago, my Dad taught me that if an idea was good today, it would be equally good tomorrow. It's no joke that there's a difference a day makes. Many/most of the "gotta haves" I've come across in my past have proven, after sufficient thought, to be anything but. I do my research, apply considerable thought, and then put the decision up on the shelf for awhile. Most of those that ended up in denial were due to the clearer thinking of my Dear Wife, Celia. Her absence is a huge drag on my own intellect.

Consequently, I bought the guns I really felt a genuine need for; and steadfastly refused to part with them. They were actually good ideas, and good ideas do not have expiration dates.

Put differently, it equates to "buy in haste, lament at leisure". Yes, I've parted with a few good guns, primarily due to acute cash emergencies, and seldom for any other reason. These days, my partings are due to being made hand-me-downs to my family. Except for my Wife's severe illness back in 2006, I've basically never sold a gun (except that for legal/taxation reasons my hand-me-downs are all sold "for one dollar and other valuable personal considerations").

Back when I had a plan about what I should own, it was .22LR, .223/5.56, .260 Rem, .308/7.62x51 NATO, 7.62x54R, and .30-'06. These days, my gun cabinet is no longer packed so tight. I think that, in terms of staying power; these are exactly the right choice for me.

Greg

Last edited:
Reactions: CaptArab
There's always a new shinny object, you just need to stop and say " wtf am I going to do with this?"
Some say you never have enough guns, well if you are a shooter I would argue that you could easily have too many.
I recall an older guy who said that it isn't something really special, sell, trade, etc it to get something else to try and do the same to the next one, nothing but some steel, wood and plastic.
Sometimes when you shoot a gun, look in the log book and say "fuck, I haven't shot this gun in 1 year!"

Anyhow, back to the madness.

Reactions: Bakwa and DIBBS
I am actually in the process of cleaning out mine. I condensed to a few calibers several years ago but now I am reducing the number I have in general as there are several I don't shoot and haven't shot. I have my favorites that always go out and those are what I am going to keep. With the funds I am building a rifle that has the features I want.

After pondering this for a few weeks, I've come to the conclusion that much of my mess is simply due to having 5 different cartridges of AR15.

PCCs, rimfires, Grendel's, etc are all fine and well but I've learned that 223 is all I really need in an AR (or gas gun, period tbh).

And likewise 9mm is all I need in a Glock / polymer pistol.

After pondering this for a few weeks, I've come to the conclusion that much of my mess is simply due to having 5 different cartridges of AR15.

PCCs, rimfires, Grendel's, etc are all fine and well but I've learned that 223 is all I really need in an AR (or gas gun, period tbh).

And likewise 9mm is all I need in a Glock.
A wise realization for being pragmatic in your arsenal choices. Not a sexy conclusion, but wise none the less.

I often think about what I would own if I had to start all over again. This thought quickly puts into perspective what I really need for my uses, and I sometimes cut the fat off of my collection or re-articulate what I own to closer represent this ideal start over setup.

Back when I was self-employed and making money my collection grew & grew. In 08 with the collapse of the housing market, I literally survived by having guns, ammunition, accessories to sell. I'll be turning 59 this year, my home/land is paid for, I'm investing heavily in my 401k, and I'm buying guns & ammo.
I feel like they're a pretty good investment weather I shoot them or they're stacked in my safe. I only shoot a few regularly. I enjoy working on them, getting them as close as I can to full potential, as much as shooting. I can't count how many I've had that I never fired?? I do love that old saying; Beware of the man that only has one gun...

Reactions: Bakwa
Back when I was self-employed and making money my collection grew & grew. In 08 with the collapse of the housing market, I literally survived by having guns, ammunition, accessories to sell. I'll be turning 59 this year, my home/land is paid for, I'm investing heavily in my 401k, and I'm buying guns & ammo.
I feel like they're a pretty good investment weather I shoot them or they're stacked in my safe. I only shoot a few regularly. I enjoy working on them, getting them as close as I can to full potential, as much as shooting. I can't count how many I've had that I never fired?? I do love that old saying; Beware of the man that only has one gun...
We've spotted the Armslister with the $900 Anderson 😛

Reactions: BAMAboy18