• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Safe dilemma, what would you do?

slyfox

Private
Minuteman
May 24, 2012
IN
I have been considering different safes for a while now. I decided on a Liberty Franklin 35 safe. The dealer contacted me to tell me he didn't have that in stock but could order it and would probably be here mid march. He then followed up by saying he has a Franklin Fatboy 64 he could sell me for actually less than what I was quoted on the 35.

My concerns with the Bigboy are: It is electronic D-lock ( I would prefer the standard mechanical lock ).

It's physical dimensions will make it impossible to fit anyplace out of sight in my home.

Would you just wait for the 35 or go for the bigger safe that is clearly a damn good deal?

Re: Safe dilemma, what would you do?

I'd say get the big one and make it fit! Might need to slide a wall over, time to break out the hammer :)

As all safe owner realize shortly after they get "the one" they want home, it's never big enough. I'd go with the bigger one and try and find a spot for it. You'll be happy you did.

Hard to say without knowing more specifics (garage location? home layout? how many guns will you ever want to own, etc)

I will comment though, that when building my home I had a specific location in mind and I was constraint by the size of safe I could put there - I even left a wall out in construction to get it in - I would have to sell it with the house) The safe I knew would be too small for my needs and always knew down the line I would have to get a second.

I never regretted the decision. I am know considering another safe in my garage. Owning two safes is more expensive but the pros in my mind are:

1. 2 different locations in the house - far from one another so in case of fire there is a better chance of content survival (make duplicate copys of documents for each safe).

2. If a thief ever does try to break in he would have double the work (if he could ever find one of them).

something to think about

Get the bigger safe, and a lock smith can change the electric lock out for a mechanical lock.

Thanks for the responses! I will probably get the larger safe, even if I have to park it in my garage (something I really wanted to avoid).

Does anyone have experience with a safe in the garage? Temperature/moisture are a concern.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SturmHead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get the bigger safe, and a lock smith can change the electric lock out for a mechanical lock. </div></div>

+1000

Bigger is better with safes - you will always wish you had more room if you go with the smaler one, IMO.

Go big or go home.

I compromised with a smaller safe and now, wish I had gone bigger
frown.gif

Pay once, cry once definitely applies here.

I don['t know about "ALL ' safes, but mine has a key back up, should the digital lock ever fail. I simply pop the electronic keypad off, and the keyhole is behind there. I keep the spare keys in two separate locked places.
as to temp/moisture, a safe heater and a large can of absorbent (recharge in oven periodically) should help, but a place where the temp/moisture never changes would be far better. And I STILL would put a heater and absorbent in there.
A walk-in closet in the bedroom is good, unless it is one of those walk-ins they are putting in the bathroom lately.
Get the bigger one. Build it in. Hide it.

I would not a put a safe in a garage in Indiana.

Whoa whoa whoa!

You're going to change all of your criteria because this big safe is a "deal"?

They have good deals on a Prius every day, but I don't drive one.

You wanted a Franklin 35. Pretty nice safe. Probably about as big as you will be able to maneuver through a house.

Now this Fatboy pops up. It's twice the size and probably won't fit through a single door in your home. You've already admitted you will have to put it in the garage (against you original plan) right next to whatever tools you own (bad idea) and in the least ideal atmosphere for your guns (another bad idea).

While I think it's prudent to buy a larger safe than you think you need because they do fill up fast, there is a point of diminishing returns.

There's also something to be said about not putting all your eggs in one basket.

Not trying to be a dick, but I think you need a little reality check.

Get a piece of paper and a pencil and make a pros and cons table.

Think about this, if the Fatboy is such a good deal then why is it in stock and the safe you want is out?

FWIW, I faced the same dilemma regarding Franklin 35 and Fatboy 64. I had almost the same concern regarding location of interior vs garage. I live in the AZ desert near a river, so 100+ degree heat and humidity during monsoon season were my concerns about putting the larger safe in the garage.
Ultimately, I ended up with the Franklin 35 for a couple reasons:
1. Dial vs electronic lock (personal preference but a must for me)
2. The overall exterior footprint allowed me to put it in a discreet location in the house while still affording me enough space for existing rifles, a reasonable number of future purchases, and other important items like my wife's jewelry.
3. Fit and finish-again personal preference, but since I look at it almost everyday, to me the Franklin series was a bit nicer looking than the fatboy.
4. I do own my home, but I also figured that the Franklin would be more appealing to convey with the home or easier to move should I ever relocate.

Just a few of my thoughts on the subject, of course YMMV and the important thing in the end is that you secure your items of value.
Good Luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Magstang1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whoa whoa whoa!

You're going to change all of your criteria because this big safe is a "deal"?

They have good deals on a Prius every day, but I don't drive one.

You wanted a Franklin 35. Pretty nice safe. Probably about as big as you will be able to maneuver through a house.

Now this Fatboy pops up. It's twice the size and probably won't fit through a single door in your home. You've already admitted you will have to put it in the garage (against you original plan) right next to whatever tools you own (bad idea) and in the least ideal atmosphere for your guns (another bad idea).

While I think it's prudent to buy a larger safe than you think you need because they do fill up fast, there is a point of diminishing returns.

There's also something to be said about not putting all your eggs in one basket.

Not trying to be a dick, but I think you need a little reality check.

Get a piece of paper and a pencil and make a pros and cons table.

Think about this, if the Fatboy is such a good deal then why is it in stock and the safe you want is out? </div></div>

Thanks Magstang1, what you said has been the same thing the voice in the back of my head has been saying as well, which is also why I made a post about this in the first place. The fatboy was a safe I also really wanted but it was more expensive than the 35 MSRP by a significant margin. I asked the dealer if this safe had all the features of the current models and he said it was a brand new one with all the features liberty currently offers. I assume the price is lower because it is dealer price and not Liberty MSRP. Of course this means the 35 I picked could be had for cheaper than I planned. Everyone I talk to always tells me to go for biggest/heaviest safe I can afford and I agree to an extent. This is just a big safe and I am concerned about the logistics for moving it into my home (and also out if I ever move). I really wasn't planning on keeping it in my garage, probably just need to put it in my dining room where it can be seen from a window, and from anyone that enters my home. I can put the 35 in a closet on the 1st floor where no one would see it.

Decisions are hard sometimes, so thank you all for your input.

Get some cardboard and some tape.

Find the dimensions on Libertys website.

Fab up a Franklin.

Try moving it around.

I bet you'll be surprised how big it is in your house.

I bought a big safe, the biggest one I could find about 8 years ago and don't regret it. I filled it up pretty fast.

Because of the size, the only place I could put it is in my family room or den.

I made sure it was not visible from the outside through any of the windows, but anyone that visits my place can see it.

I'm remodeling my house and the safe is now being built into a separate closet to keep it out of sight.

My 2 cents:

Size is important, especially with our scoped rifles.

If I could do it again I'd probably go for two of the medium/large safes instead of one giant safe.

Give the location of the safe serious consideration. When my safe was delivered it took 4 guys about 3 hours to get it into place. These guys were pros and I had to help (it's just too big).

I understand the hesitation on electronic locks but I have a S&G rated electronic lock and am very happy with it. It makes getting in and out of the safe faster.

But I guess if there is an EMP blast I'd be screwed
crazy.gif

Go for the bigger safe. Even if it's too big today, chances are you'll eventually fill it.

I also highly recommend having it professionally moved/installed. You could seriously hurt your house or yourself if things go sideways.

My wife and I are happy with the electronic lock, but then again we're in / out of the safe at least 4 times a day. Keep an extra battery for the lock though, it'll go out sooner than you think.

I would buy the bigger safe. A far as the lock is concerned, I replaced my mechanical lock with an electronic. It's an easy switch.

Well thank you all for the input. The fatboy after some measuring and consideration really will not fit. I however ended up with a lincoln 35. A safe that is really twice what my original budget was...don't tell my wife
smile.gif

Now I just got to get it delivered and moved in.

Good choice on the safe. Once you have used the mechanical combo a few times you can open it very quickly. No battery to go dead when you need to open it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slyfox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well thank you all for the input. The fatboy after some measuring and consideration really will not fit. I however ended up with a lincoln 35. A safe that is really twice what my original budget was...don't tell my wife
smile.gif

Now I just got to get it delivered and moved in. </div></div>

That's a 1000lb safe and the door doesn't come off.

Don't go cheap now and try to move it yourself.

I disagree with almost everyone here. Everyone here is making the argument of getting a bigger safe NOT for security reasons, but purely convenience. A smaller safe allows one to install it into a concealed area of the home not open to general traffic or visible through windows. The idea that you want to buy the bigger safe placed in a garage in an obvious manner means you place sheer convenience ahead of actual security. Purchasing a safe should be an investment in the overall security picture, not creature features unless you have other security measures working in parallel, like reinforced windows and doors, alarms, neighborhood watch, etc.

Get another safe later if you need the room to expand into. Security is not a "one time investment" based on storage space. Security is an investment based on security provided.

You can do one of two things:
Store all your eggs in one giant basket in the garage, a typical location for many gun safes because of the "buy big" mentality (and home improvement tools). This makes a thief's job easy, if he is the type willing to invest the time to break into a gun safe.

Buy one safe now that is inconspicuously placed in the home, and get another safe in the future when expanding to split your eggs in two baskets. Assume a thief somehow knows you have two safes, not just the one safe he found first. It still forces a thief to spend at least double the time to successfully break into both safes to steal the same amount of goods if he was determined that he wanted it all.

Think about a catastrophic fire. Do you stand a better chance of items surviving in two separate locations in the same fire or all items in one location?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don['t know about "ALL ' safes, but mine has a key back up, should the digital lock ever fail. I simply pop the electronic keypad off, and the keyhole is behind there. I keep the spare keys in two separate locked places. </div></div>

Those locks are typically Chinese-manufactured and not UL rated. A reputable manufacturer like S&G, Kaba Mauer, or LaGard doesn't make such a unit. A UL-listed security-key lock used on a typical safe is typically $200 for the lock alone and the keys are $50 each, and they're typically 4-6" long and double-bitted. That's in addition to the $200-500 for a credible, UL-rated digital lock. I have a hard time believing a typical gun safe actually has $400+ in locks installed on it. This is what a high-security key looks like:
70079_01_290x270.jpg

Well when it comes to safes bigger is better however your home tends to dictate things a bit. Personally I wouldn't want my safe to be visible by anyone looking through windows or visible by people coming to my home ie cable guy etc. This is a personal preference but mine is recessed into a wall inside of a closet so no one knows it is there unless I show it to them. Issue I have is I am out of safe space ugh.

I will ONLY buy a digital lock now, I have a smaller safe I only keep class 3 items in and it is a dial lock, real pain in the ass. I am in and out of my safes pretty much every day and digital is the only way to go!!!! I have a Cabelas labeled safe made by Liberty if I remember correctly, high fire rating and lots of bolts. Personally I think a safe should be something you really spend the money on. I figure I have a collection that is worth more than my SUV and its possible if new laws are passed a lot of them are not replaceable. DON'T BE CHEAP ON A SAFE!!!

I would buy 2 or 3 smaller safes in place of one big one... installed up against a wall side by side, and concealed in some way. I would buy from a manufacturer that allows for the adding of steel on the two exterior sides that are exposed. Lag bolt them to the floor. Buy safes with 7 ga. steel exteriors minimum.
Buying multiple safes instead of one...you have doubled or tripled the amount of time a thief will have to spend getting into them, also you can split up all your portable wealth so if they get to one, they won't get everything you have.

Fuck the safe. Obamas henchmen are coming to take all your guns anyways. Buy ammo instead

My Liberty lincoln 35 has been delivered and they moved it in for me. I couldn't be happier. The safe is gorgeous and holds everything I need it to. Now the challenge is on to fill it!

Congrats! I have a Lincoln 35 as well. Nice safes, though mine is way past full (filled up a lot faster than I thought).