• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Suppressors Safe distance for shooting armored steel with 9mm?

hula

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2007
Oklahoma, Norman
What's the safe distance for armored steel and 9mm ball? This is static plate and non-swinging or poppers.

Re: Safe distance for shooting armored steel with 9mm?

Ten yards is the minimum. Eye protection is mandatory, and you can still expect to get some splashback. Having the plates angled to deflect the rounds into the ground is a really good idea.

My 8" x 24" AR400 pistol plates are angled down at 45 degrees. Sounds like a steep angle but it works great. The targets appear to the shooter as 8" x 16". All backsplash is directed to the ground BEHIND the target. We shoot them at 21 feet without ill effects. No problems with frag, as long as you do not use Wolf or 'bimetal' ammo at this distance. That stuff is steel jacket with a copper wash. Everything else has been GTG.

Be very careful. A friend was shooting his 1911 at a manhole cover at 25 yards and had a round bounced back and hit him in the leg about two inches from the family jewels. It went through his jeans and embedded in his leg. He chose not to seek medical help and had his wife dig the round out and sew him up.

I would be very careful.

Searcher, sounds like a youtube event! Good advice on the steel. I'll either tilt or use small hangers.

who was holding his beer?

Imagine that, someone doing redneck things, getting redneck results.
crazy.gif

Pistol loads lead, FMJ (no bimetal) or frange
poppers & plates @ 21' for hundreds of thousands of rounds-15' in a structured & professional environment with carefully inspected, placed & monitored targets.
Targets have to be serviceable or bad things may happen to your jewels.

Manhole covers are typically <span style="font-style: italic">not</span> flat. An angled flat surface is necessary to avoid splashback. If you have steel which is pitted - which typically happens from shooting unarmored steel with high-velocity rounds - or is not flat for some other reason, it should not be shot at distances of less than 100 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Searcher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Be very careful. A friend was shooting his 1911 at a manhole cover at 25 yards and had a round bounced back and hit him in the leg about two inches from the family jewels. It went through his jeans and embedded in his leg. He chose not to seek medical help and had his wife dig the round out and sew him up.

I would be very careful. </div></div>

I'm sorry to hear it missed his nuts. It would have saved the rest of us from his intellectually inferior off spring. That said, I think I have some pics of that day at the range:

rate_my_mullet.jpg

Not pictured: 1911, stolen manhole cover, common sense

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pointblank4445</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Searcher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Be very careful. A friend was shooting his 1911 at a manhole cover at 25 yards and had a round bounced back and hit him in the leg about two inches from the family jewels. It went through his jeans and embedded in his leg. He chose not to seek medical help and had his wife dig the round out and sew him up.

I would be very careful. </div></div>

I'm sorry to hear it missed his nuts. It would have saved the rest of us from his intellectually inferior off spring. That said, I think I have some pics of that day at the range:

rate_my_mullet.jpg

Not pictured: 1911, stolen manhole cover, common sense </div></div>

NOMINATED FOR POST OF THE YEAR!
laugh.gif
HAHAHA!!!

in USPSA those fuckers will shoot steel at any range without fear... ive been hit many times by peices...luckily never an entire bullet. eye protection is very important.

if your shooting steel with no angle to it keep in mind that everything to the left and the right has potential to be hit. your really playing russian roulet when you shoot steel though its only a matter of time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kentactic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">in USPSA those fuckers will shoot steel at any range without fear... ive been hit many times by peices...luckily never an entire bullet. eye protection is very important.

if your shooting steel with no angle to it keep in mind that everything to the left and the right has potential to be hit. your really playing russian roulet when you shoot steel though its only a matter of time. </div></div>
No, USPSA rules specifically state all steel targets must be no closer than 7 yards. Almost all clubs I've shot with keep targets at a minimum 10 yards from any shooting position. Big slow moving 45 ACP cast Lyman type lead bullets are the normal culprets for bounce-back, and as rare as it is, it's not an issue if you angle the target 5-10 degrees downward. Targets that fall, self reset by springs, or topple are the best for short distance (10 yds +). With that said, I have shot static targets during practice with pistols and as long as the steel angles downward more than 5 degrees you are going to be fine. I would recommend 10 degrees downward angle as optimum.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pointblank4445</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have some pics of that day at the range:

rate_my_mullet.jpg

</div></div>

I still miss that truck....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SA_Friday</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kentactic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">in USPSA those fuckers will shoot steel at any range without fear... ive been hit many times by peices...luckily never an entire bullet. eye protection is very important.

if your shooting steel with no angle to it keep in mind that everything to the left and the right has potential to be hit. your really playing russian roulet when you shoot steel though its only a matter of time. </div></div>
No, USPSA rules specifically state all steel targets must be no closer than 7 yards. Almost all clubs I've shot with keep targets at a minimum 10 yards from any shooting position. Big slow moving 45 ACP cast Lyman type lead bullets are the normal culprets for bounce-back, and as rare as it is, it's not an issue if you angle the target 5-10 degrees downward. Targets that fall, self reset by springs, or topple are the best for short distance (10 yds +). With that said, I have shot static targets during practice with pistols and as long as the steel angles downward more than 5 degrees you are going to be fine. I would recommend 10 degrees downward angle as optimum. </div></div>
yeah i wasnt being official i realize we dont shoot them at point blank. never the less ive seen guys that arent breaking the 180 while following the guy shooting to score targets and they stand a few feet from steel being shot. theres no distance rule for bystanders (i havent read the rule book in search of) aslong as the shooter dosent break the 180. i watched bullets ricocheting in the dirt a couple feet from one guys feet. and atleast around here angled targets are not used in USPSA mostly poppers and steel that just falls over or knocks off the wheels etc.

needless to say i keep a solid object (wall, another person etc) between me and the targets getting shot when other guys shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">..

a5.jpg
</div></div>

Making your truck a pool is a great idea, just wish i would have thought of it.

I've been hit 5 or so times with frag. All of those times have been at between 7 and 10 yards.

Never lost blood over it, but eye pro is absolutely essential.

I would rather increase the size of the target I'm shooting at than get closer to it.

10 yards is the bare minimum for me now.

i was about 20ft from my 12x18 swinging steel target seeing how fast i could do a second shot and had a 9mm wizzz past my ear. not sure how it happened, the steel naturally hangs angled toward the ground and the 9mm barely makes it move??? i stand farther back now 8) +1 on the 10yds or maybe dont be a dork about it if youre closer

Its always a good idea to inspect a plate for yourself before shooting is at close (never closer than 10-12'). If you see signs of craters or surface flaws it needs to be replaced. Frag is common but the only serious one I have seen came from an old plate rack that looked like the moons surface.

Rogers Shooting School uses exclusively steel from 7-25 yards. I got peppered a few times by jacket frag but I'd say 7yds is still safe with eye pro.

I would base the distance on the surface of the steel and if it is angled downward. If it is new, flat and angled down, I would go in to 7 meters with a 9mm. If it is older slightly dimpled, and angled down then I would move back to 10 meters or more. Always wear eyepro when shooting steel. If you want to shoot it with a carbine, shoot it will ball, not green tip (the green tip will dimple it) and no closer than 50 meters.