• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Safe recommendation

Roslyn

Private
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2013

Would appreciate any recommendations of a safe that can hold up to four scoped rifles, sized to fit in a bedroom closet. I have an AmSec safe, but need something for an upstairs bedroom suitable to prevent kids getting access. It doesn't need to meet a huge TL standard, won't be bolted to the wall or floor, just has to provide one level of protection. A simple key lock works, and not having to worry about battery life is a plus.

Initial use is a shotgun, an AR with a Vortex 1-10X, and a PCC with a Holosun red dot; but I may want to use it at some point for a scoped bolt gun or two so need it to support those dimensions.

Thank you.

For the best advise go to a REAL safe store not a box store. They will get you lined out on what works best for your needs. From me were I live it was West Coast Safes. They listened and gave me some options to look at.

Reactions: Faronth and Balor
The very first thing you need to do is determine the absolute maximum amount of money you want to spend on a safe. If that number doesn’t start with “3” and have at least three zeros behind it, then you should save your money and instead buy a locking door knob and install it on a closet in your house. Real safes require lots of thick steel, and metal has gotten very expensive post COVID. Keeping your firearms in a locked closet will keep honest people honest just as well as a $400 bass pro special. A door knob is also easier to install up stairs than moving a 2-300lb shitbox. If you want fire protection for your documents, buy a firebox and put that in your locked closet. If you have kids and are worried about them getting into the closet, be a better parent and teach your kids boundaries and consequences to crossing said boundaries.

Would appreciate any recommendations of a safe that can hold up to four scoped rifles, sized to fit in a bedroom closet. I have an AmSec safe, but need something for an upstairs bedroom suitable to prevent kids getting access. It doesn't need to meet a huge TL standard, won't be bolted to the wall or floor, just has to provide one level of protection. A simple key lock works, and not having to worry about battery life is a plus.

Initial use is a shotgun, an AR with a Vortex 1-10X, and a PCC with a Holosun red dot; but I may want to use it at some point for a scoped bolt gun or two so need it to support those dimensions.

Thank you.
You can probably get a smoking deal on a Liberty safe right now. 😏

Despite what cancel culture and morons think, they build a really nice safe.

Thank you, helpful, very much on point of what I am looking for,.

Here is a really cheap "safe" with a key lock. It would keep small children out and be easy to carry upstairs. You might also look at various locking truck boxes, which honestly might be stronger.

Reactions: Aftermath
Buy cheap and then weep
Get a rsc that has a min of 3/16 steel with 1/4 plate door then bolt it to the wall
My sil has a cheapo cough cough safe
A kid could open it with a screwdriver

Recently (last couple of weeks) got a Dakota Badlands 5939. Got it from local safe guy. Fully welded. First safe. $2k delivered and taxes. Available with electronic or S&g dial.

For your need to just keep kids out, one of the simple and light weight lockers will work just fine. Even a job box locking tool box type thing. I have a small sheet metal locker type safe that will hold 5 scoped rifles and spare mags no problem. It's in the master bedroom closet just to keep a shotgun and AR a little closer than in the main safe. It's not fire rated. Even when full, a decent sized guy could just carry it out and given 30 minutes it could likely be pried open.

We don't have kids around so it's not even locked most of the time...and usually it's not full as stuff is even more readily accessible but I do put things in there if we are going to be gone for several hours. If we will be gone for any real amount of time, everything goes in the main safe.

Thank you.

If you are not bolting in it will not stop any professional thieves. If all you need to do is keep kids out, get one from a box store on sale. No matter how much you spend a safe that will fit in a closet and is not bolted will get carried away or have the bottom cut out.

You can probably get a smoking deal on a Liberty safe right now. 😏

Despite what cancel culture and morons think, they build a really nice safe.
And on top of the build quality, there are PLENTY of videos on YT where you can learn how to disable the factory codes for digital locks and put your own in there. Personally, I am still bouncing between a digital lock where I can change the factory code and a manual lock where the code may still be known by the Mfr.

Buy something 2-3 times bigger than you think you need.
Box store safes are just eye candy, I can clean them out with a common tool found in most garages, circular saw with blade turned backwards.
IMHO an electronic lock is asking for trouble, a decent high end mechanical combination lock is the way to go.

Reactions: USK308
I really like Sturdy Safes, own a large one, and recommend the brand to anyone looking for a heavy RSC. I do think some of this advice here is not relevant, as the OP asked for basically a locking box that can be carried up stairs and would keep out only children. Really, as one suggested, putting a good lock on a sturdy closet door might suffice.

If you’re going to get a small lightweight sage you at least need to bolt it. Thieves can just carry the thing out and kids could also tip the thing over on themselves fucking around like kids do.

Personally I’d just get an AMSEC under bed safe or a hidden wall safe or something similar that will fit a couple home defense options and keep the rest of your shit in your bigger safe. You don’t need a shotgun, a carbine, and a PCC for HD plus scoped rifles.

Liberty Safes of Oregon, in Hubbard. They have a full range of safes and will deliver and install in your home.

The owner of the company was telling me that some of the lower priced safes sold in stores are OK, whereas others are a joke; more like a gym locker that looks like a safe.

The most basic safe should keep kids out. If you are worried about thieves, having an alarm system on the closet door and perhaps camera will be better than a high end safe they have time to work on. Safes are not impenetrable, but they can delay until police show up.

Just bought a Liberty 64 gun safe at the local Tractor Supply for a great price. Quite a bit less than I paid for the Liberty I bought in 2001 even.
They aren't bad for what they are. I'd focus on the fire protection more than the safe Parr. If a pro wants in, they will get into just about any safe but pros don't want to mess with home owners gun sages. You just want protection from Crack heads and fire really, and to keep things away from kids.

Reactions: FuhQ
The most basic safe should keep kids out. If you are worried about thieves, having an alarm system on the closet door and perhaps camera will be better than a high end safe they have time to work on. Safes are not impenetrable, but they can delay until police show up.
If you are just protecting from kids get something cheap, I have a cheap stack on I keep ammo in kind of looks like a safe but made out of sheet metal not real secure. Above is what I have, several safes for guns and ammo. My gun room is fully alarmed all windows and door, motion detector, glass break detector, camera. My alarm company is very responsive, if they get an alarm I get a call within a couple of minutes and if they don't get the right answers or I'm not home police are called. Granted how much help police would be in todays climate I don't really know probably not much. I try not to leave home for any length of time without someone I trust here or at least checking in a couple times daily.

Just bought a Liberty 64 gun safe at the local Tractor Supply for a great price. Quite a bit less than I paid for the Liberty I bought in 2001 even.

Yep did the same today. The kid even offered an additional $300 off for some superficial scuffs and some of the pleather inside being a little fucked up that I’m just going to rip out anyway.

Reactions: shoot4fun
And on top of the build quality, there are PLENTY of videos on YT where you can learn how to disable the factory codes for digital locks and put your own in there. Personally, I am still bouncing between a digital lock where I can change the factory code and a manual lock where the code may still be known by the Mfr.
All you need is a change key and the ability to follow directions to change the combination on any Sargent & Greenleaf mechanical lock.
SG.jpg

Agreed that a budget is needed. Disagree that you should skip a safe or use a minimal cabinet until you can get a Fort Knox or whatever.

Personally I'd go for a Liberty/Cannon/whatever is available on sale locally. I know you asked for keyed and battery free, but at this price and space constrained, this is what I'd get.

He already has an Amsec.

He only needs a security container. Any liberty/Canon/whatever is just pissing money away on something with a useless fire rating and zero UL TL listing.

Kinda like I don't bother with a safe, as the 5 angle grinders and 2 torches in the garage makes it useless. Unless I can put all the tools in the safe insurance and simple door locks are the better investment.

They aren't bad for what they are. I'd focus on the fire protection more than the safe Parr. If a pro wants in, they will get into just about any safe but pros don't want to mess with home owners gun sages. You just want protection from Crack heads and fire really, and to keep things away from kids.

Don't forget that the fire ratings aren't too protect the guns, they're just ignition point of wood.

Every safe I've seen in a fire steamed, rusted, rotted, and destroyed the guns inside.

Sprinkler head above the "safe" is the only way to keep it cool enough to give it a chance.

He already has an Amsec.

He only needs a security container. Any liberty/Canon/whatever is just pissing money away on something with a useless fire rating and zero UL TL listing.

Kinda like I don't bother with a safe, as the 5 angle grinders and 2 torches in the garage makes it useless. Unless I can put all the tools in the safe insurance and simple door locks are the better investment.

All those “safes” are are security containers, those shitty metal cabinets aren’t even that.

As to the torch and grinders, you could just put layers of security on those too. Sorry but that’s not an excuse for being cheap/lazy.

Reactions: FuhQ
Don't forget that the fire ratings aren't too protect the guns, they're just ignition point of wood.

Every safe I've seen in a fire steamed, rusted, rotted, and destroyed the guns inside.

Sprinkler head above the "safe" is the only way to keep it cool enough to give it a chance.
The better ones have ways of keeping that from happening so the fire can't get in. I don't know first hand how effective it is but there are materials that can do it.

The better ones have ways of keeping that from happening so the fire can't get in. I don't know first hand how effective it is but there are materials that can do it.

It takes a full steel liner which anything shy of an AMSEC BF for an RSC doesn’t have. If it has any type of drywall or gypsum board which 99% of gun safes have they’re a high percentage of water and they cause flash rusting.

You can put them in cases in a larger safes to prevent that though. Guns in cases in safes fires even cheap soft cases don’t flash rust from the steam. But you still have to not be a retard and put ammo in the safe that will just cook off and start a fire inside the safe.

Reactions: chevy_man
All those “safes” are are security containers, those shitty metal cabinets aren’t even that.

As to the torch and grinders, you could just put layers of security on those too. Sorry but that’s not an excuse for being cheap/lazy.

Well, it doesn't hurt that I live in an area where there's still gun racks in back windows of most trucks and people drive sxs around town and leave them running outside a store.

But yeah, I'm locking my doors to keep the honest people out. There's zero reason to secure the cutting tools when they can bring their own cordless and get into it in a few minutes. There would be zero alarm from anyone that there's noise in my shop. I'm out there cutting and grinding on stuff until past midnight regularly. Well insulated in order to not bother the neighbors, and keep the furnace from running too often.

A big safe is just a target.

I do have a hidden wall in the back of a cabinet full of junk. So it's not like there's often anything left out in the open. And no, there will be no pictures. Just a cabinet with a false back and junk screwed and glued to the back that swings open to reveal a steel lined compartment with magnetic locks. Looks like a pile of rusty garbage and old dried up paint cans unless you can figure out where the magnets go.

It takes a full steel liner which anything shy of an AMSEC BF for an RSC doesn’t have. If it has any type of drywall or gypsum board which 99% of gun safes have they’re a high percentage of water and they cause flash rusting.

You can put them in cases in a larger safes to prevent that though. Guns in cases in safes fires even cheap soft cases don’t flash rust from the steam. But you still have to not be a retard and put ammo in the safe that will just cook off and start a fire inside the safe.
Yeah for a lot of them that's true. Some don't use gypsum though and have other stuff to insulate and all, just depends on what you have.