• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Safe to spend money on an LPVO or is something amazing about to drop?

TacosGigante

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2013
VA
Looking to buy an LPVO for a KAC 16” SR-25. Willing to spend a good chunk of cash but I’d hate to buy something only to have something better drop in 6 months.

So, for those of you who know these things, is there a new big option in the 1-8/10 range from an Alpha brand about to hit the civilian market? I don’t need to know details, I don’t need you to violate an NDA, I don’t even need a brand. All I need is to know if I should sit on dry powder for 6 months or so to see the new thing or is it safe to select from current options.

Just vague “things are coming” posts.

Those who know won’t say, those who say don’t know.

I’m in the same boat and want an “alpha” mpvo. Sadly I think we are fucked and won’t know till SHOT and even then it will probably a year or more after that….if anything is coming.

Will probably be the year of the 10-100x56mm😔

Leupold may replace the mk6 1-6 with new product.
Nightforce could do something.

Thats all the vagueness I've heard. I don't think anything viable is coming soon thought.

Atacr 1-8
Nx8 1-8
K16i
K18i
SB 1-8
New march 1-10

That's kindof what Id be looking at. I went nx8 fcdmx with an acro on top. Its for a low/no light and day time dual role sbr. The whole contraption is about 27oz.
received_310537751450379.jpeg

That March Multi Focal plane LPVO is pretty sweet. If I didn't always have a new razor 1-10 that's what I'd get and I may yet.

Look for something in the PX is my advice. You can usually get close to what you pay for alpha glass as long as you do a little research and get a decent deal.
One example is ZCO 527 consistently selling for $3200-3400 for the past 2-3 years. Same story on other used alphas.

The nx6 1-6 is coming. It was supposed to be released a while ago, but Japan was still in full Covid mode. LOW is finally catching up, so soon.

The nx6 1-6 is coming. It was supposed to be released a while ago, but Japan was still in full Covid mode. LOW is finally catching up, so soon.

While I’m fine with taking a step back in max power to get a much more forgiving and fast optic, but dubious to this as both a real thing and its ability to compete.

If this is a thing, they are going to have to shed some serious weight and or cost to get folks to ignore the 1-8 nx8 given how many fawn over that optic despite its mediocre optical performance.

I’ve heard rumors of a new AMG not the LPVO they just dropped, something else. Haven’t heard much for details though.

NX6? 2-12x42mm would be better weight in the MPVO space. FC-dmx would still be a good reticle for this imo.
Yeah unless it’s got really good glass I personally prefer a x50 objective for last light in a hunting context, I’ll take a slight weight gain for a better image.

That FFP crossover market is bare. I’d really like something with a low mag range of 2 to 3.5 max. 2.5 would be ideal Imo. And the top end between 12-18 is fine. It has to be illuminated and have a good usable reticle on low mag like LRHS G2H reticle. Under 30oz closer to 26ish would be great. Capped or locking windage, elevation locking Im bicurious there I could go either way. Japanese glass. Decent fov and eye box, forgiving parallax. Come in under $2k and I think they’d move a bunch. I’m not a scope guru so maybe my wishlist isn’t feasible?

*3-12 LRHS is discontinued, not illuminated, love the reticle though, fov is a little tight, glass is ok. Probably the closest I’ve found to hitting the mark. Just needs a tiny bit of tweaking.
*4.5-22 LHT: I don’t love the reticle, I don’t like the mag range, lot of mixed reviews
*6-24 AMG: mag range is way off
*XTRIII 3.3-18i: reticle is way too thin on low mag, yeah it is usable but not good.
*USO FDN: again reviews are kinda hit or miss on it.
*ATACR 4-16: reticle is not great on low power, the 42x versions I’ve owned I didn’t love in low light. I dislike the rotating eye piece too.
*march 1.5-15: expensive, I’ve read reports of finicky parallax and tight eye box. The parallax being finicky is a hard no for me. I had a NX8 and hated it for that reason.
*ZCO/TT: both above my price bracket, so I don’t even look. Yeah i know go be poor elsewhere right. But I’m willing to bet the vast majority of shooters fall in that camp.

Reactions: YotaEer
under 30oz closer to 26ish would be great.
I have doubts they would be able to do that in a 50mm and not have tight parallax. IIRC your depth of field has a lot to do with the ratio between your objective and first focal length. March goes for shorter scopes and so commonly has tight depth of field. Go long and the scope is great, but heavier.

That's why a 40mm-44mm objective does well in the mpvo where weight, mid mag (10-18) eyebox, and decent depth of field are all important. I think NF flubbed the nx8 2.5x by going too short with a 50mm objective. If it had been a 2-16x40mm of the same length it would be awesome... but I've posted this argument far to many times and I am a no-one...

You been saying that for almost a year. Imma say you are making stuff up. And are wrong.
NF isn’t gonna have much new at shot.

Last edited:

I have no idea what NF is or isn’t working on, but I’d put my money on you being wrong.

They already have two LPVO’s that compete with one another at different price points, why would they introduce another LPVO that competes with those? That makes no sense.

Sure they could introduce something at a lower price point, but I don’t think they’re in the business of making budget optics or have any interest in it. Their entry level SHV line is a perfect example, those things don’t get supported or updated at all. They’re like the redhead step child. They’ve been out for a long time and they just finally put the Mil-XT in one. There would be a market for a 3-10 MRAD version yet they don’t make it.

There’s a wide open market for MPVO’s that people want so the smart thing to do would be to introduce something along those lines. NF seems to only have an interest in making what the military market asks for though so unless they want it we’ll probably never see it.

You been saying that for almost a year. Imma say you are making stuff up. And are wrong.
NF isn’t gonna have much new at shot.
1-6, 3-18, etc. No BS here. Nightforce doesn’t have control of Japan’s scamdemic restrictions.

I have no idea what NF is or isn’t working on, but I’d put my money on you being wrong.

They already have two LPVO’s that compete with one another at different price points, why would they introduce another LPVO that competes with those? That makes no sense.

Sure they could introduce something at a lower price point, but I don’t think they’re in the business of making budget optics or have any interest in it. Their entry level SHV line is a perfect example, those things don’t get supported or updated at all. They’re like the redhead step child. They’ve been out for a long time and they just finally put the Mil-XT in one. There would be a market for a 3-10 MRAD version yet they don’t make it.

There’s a wide open market for MPVO’s that people want so the smart thing to do would be to introduce something along those lines. NF seems to only have an interest in making what the military market asks for though so unless they want it we’ll probably never see it.

He was talkin' this shit 11 months ago:

And I'm sure he'll bring it back up again this time next year when nothing gets said at Shot 2024 about an NX6 :ROFLMAO:

Looking to buy an LPVO for a KAC 16” SR-25. Willing to spend a good chunk of cash but I’d hate to buy something only to have something better drop in 6 months.

So, for those of you who know these things, is there a new big option in the 1-8/10 range from an Alpha brand about to hit the civilian market? I don’t need to know details, I don’t need you to violate an NDA, I don’t even need a brand. All I need is to know if I should sit on dry powder for 6 months or so to see the new thing or is it safe to select from current options.
According to sage rat safaris dot com, there are about 40+ companies that market an LPVO. I’m sure many are rebranded junk. Will one of them being out new models? Most certainly. But point being, there isn’t likely to be a massive transformation in scope tech coming out in an LPVO this year.

Find a good one you like and buy it before you can’t buy anything.

Not at all true. They are wide open. Was there a few weeks ago and you'd never know anything happened.

Its become the universal excuse. Replaced the "china is buying everything" excuse.

I literally don't know any more than this, but the rumor is that Athlon is bringing out a Japanese Cronus grade MPVO in 2024.
Whatever it is I'm getting one!!!

I think the success of the Helos G2 DMR 2-12x42 MPVO proves there's a demand for a similar product but of even higher quality.
I believe that Scopeye will be handling warranty claims on these. 😄

Keith

I literally don't know any more than this, but the rumor is that Athlon is bringing out a Japanese Cronus grade MPVO in 2024.
Whatever it is I'm getting one!!!

I think the success of the Helos G2 DMR 2-12x42 MPVO proves there's a demand for a similar product but of even higher quality.
The fact that these regularly sell out in spite of a few glaring flaws is proof that there IS a market and people are making some significant sacrifices to get something that checks many of their boxes.

I, for instance, do NOT particularly enjoy Athlon as a company or their products. Distastefully, I have two of these optics because I ran out of willpower and money to own more 4-16 ATACRs lol. I genuinely hope Vortex is paying attention to this scope and whatever possible cronus version mentioned here adds something like this to a PST G3 lineup if that ever happens.

Reactions: Bart
The fact that these regularly sell out in spite of a few glaring flaws is proof that there IS a market and people are making some significant sacrifices to get something that checks many of their boxes.

I, for instance, do NOT particularly enjoy Athlon as a company or their products. Distastefully, I have two of these optics because I ran out of willpower and money to own more 4-16 ATACRs lol. I genuinely hope Vortex is paying attention to this scope and whatever possible cronus version mentioned here adds something like this to a PST G3 lineup if that ever happens.

In the price range of the Helos G2's I have now including a 6-24, the Midas TAC's I've owned, my recent ETR 15-60x56, and my two Cronus G2 4.5-29's, I honestly cannot complain.
That ETR has really good IQ which is visibly improved over the ETR 4.5-30 I also had. Probably a combo of being SFP but I bet Athlon upgraded the glass and coatings as well. Impressed me since the first look through it, amazingly so for a scope of this price!

I have a glaring complaint about a Vortex Razor LHT 4.5-22 I got from Liberty Optics right before the debacle happened. I'll just keep it short. Except for weight which is why I bought it I'd rather have a Helos G2. The turrets on that Razor feel like those on a sub $300 scope and the described ETR has way better IQ.

Reactions: TheMammoth

The fact that MPVO comes up in a thread where the OP states "Looking to buy an LPVO for a KAC 16” SR-25" is also proof...

I believe there is the possibility of SAI releasing a 1-8/1-10 LPVO soon, according to various comments made by SAI officials in interviews. No known timetable for release, however.

I like the clean simplicity of the P4xi and prefer the reticle with a single, daylight bright dot. I should have been clearer on that.

Reactions: Gustav7
I like the clean simplicity of the P4xi and prefer the reticle with a single, daylight bright dot. I should have been clearer on that.

I don’t feel like i ever notice a difference between 4x and 6x until i go to shoot groups, which is so rare with the rifles I have them on. The P4xi does so many things so well for the price point that I’m ok with the 4x.

If I really need more mag, I’d spend the extra on a 1-8 or 2-10.

Reactions: TheMammoth
I don’t feel like i ever notice a difference between 4x and 6x until i go to shoot groups, which is so rare with the rifles I have them on. The P4xi does so many things so well for the price point that I’m ok with the 4x.

If I really need more mag, I’d spend the extra on a 1-8 or 2-10.
For a 0 to 300 yard rifle I kinda agree, but...
Delta34 video does sell the 6x a bit...

Reactions: Keith E.