• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Safe to use IMR4064 and a 178gr projectile?

vaeevictiss

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2012
Virginia
Currently, i have the perfect load for my rifle (.308)...

Lapua brass, 178gr AMAX, 44.7gr of Varget, 2.91OAL (long throat on the rifle and this puts it at .020 off the lands).

I can consistently shoot sub 1/4" groups at 100yds. The rifle is a 700 varmint with the barrel chopped to 18" with the 1/12 twist. Im not sure of the velocity of this as i dont have a chrono, but i was not seeing overpressure signs until i hit 45 grains. Luckily the 44.7 was perfect.

However, its been over a year and i've yet to find any Varget in stock. I began looking for an alternative, and what i did find in stock, is IMR4064, so i bought 2 lbs. From what ive been reading, is that it is nearly interchangeable (+/- a couple grains). Once i started looking deeper, it seems that many people stick with 168s or less due to the 4064 being a faster powder.

So my question is basically if it will be safe, or should i definitely drop to a 168. I was hoping to avoid changing a lot since this load is perfect, but will do what i need to...or find someone locally to trade some varget with haha.

One of my favorite loads is the horandy 178 bthp over 43.2 grains of 4064 in lapua brass withe a 210 primer. Shoots bug holes and runs 2700 according to the magneto speed.

yea i actually was just at the hodgdon site after i posted this and saw that. Good to see LRDD's post too. Seems i should be fine. just need to rework the load.

I figured id start at 43 even and go up from there to see where it puts me. Id imagine id see pressure signs well before i hit that current 44.7 im using with the Varget.

One of my favorite loads is the horandy 178 bthp over 43.2 grains of 4064 in lapua brass withe a 210 primer. Shoots bug holes and runs 2700 according to the magneto speed.

What length barrel are you shooting. I'm about to do an OCW test tomorrow and that's one of my measurements for grains of powder.

43.7 is 1/4 moa in mine they have to be seated pretty deep because of the short sharp ogive curve.