• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Safely firing a gun without a stock?

eracer

Private
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, FL
Don't know if this is the right forum for this question, but here it is:

I want to have a barrel chambered, crowned, and fitted to an action (7mmSAUM.)

Then I want to fire 10 rounds. Then I want to send the barrel and the bolt off to have it nitrided.

Only then do I want to have the barreled action fitted to a custom stock.

I have a barrel vise that is mounted to a 2" maple butcher block that I could take to the range. Assuming that the RSO's would let me do it, would it be safe to clamp the barrel in the block and the block to the bench and fire it?

Re: Safely firing a gun without a stock?

That's how I test fired my rifles that I built for school.

I used a piece of MDF with a stock makers vise bolted to it and clamped that to the tailgate of my truck. I wasn't at a range but just off in the woods.

Pulled the trigger with a string from around the corner of the truck.

Worked like a charm.

I have shot several guns with no stock. Personally I grab the gun infront of the recoil lugs, point the muzzle behind me into berm and chop the trigger. Have done this all the way up to 338 ultra. I actually used two hands for that and a buddy hit the trigger. Be wary of muzzle brakes.

Two handed holding the barrel and receiver with a second party pulling the trigger, works like a charm.
Why 10 rounds though? 3 is enough to take all necessary measurements off of brass, and you can always cast the chamber as well to really get a look.

He is wanting to 'break in' barrel prior to Nitride/Meloniting it = hence 10rds...

I missed that in scanning the post. Hopefully break in will be complete
smile.gif

It's not that I believe in 'break-in' per se. But that's what was suggested by the company doing the nitriding.

It's a good idea because you can give the bore an initial little run through anyway, any of those micro burrs and such will be stripped right out.
Let us know how it goes.

What barreled action is it? I might have something you can use for break-in. Gimme a call 813-205-5424