• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Safety Help

Sawyer

no one
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2008
Bird Rock
Ok... So, I had my first LR course today and it was cut short from a malfunction I was having. I would be shooting and then when I would pull and hold the trigger nothing would happen. Then when I would let go and start to release the rifle the gun would send the round down range. Not a very safe thing.... I have had this happen 3 times total in the first 60 rounds including the barrel break-in process and scope zeroing. So needless to say I was sort of pissed. I waited 9 months for this gun to be built only to have this strange issue come up during my first LR class. So (cut to the chase) I came home cleaned everything good. Then proceeded to cycle the bolt and dry fire with snap caps 100 times to see if I could reproduce the problem. Well doing this in a sitting position never reproduced the problem. So, I went back to the prone position to see if it would happen again.... and what do you know... it starts doing it again.

What appears to be happening is ... when I am cycling the bolt my hand is brushing the safety just enough to pull it back until it stops the firing. then just a slight touch on the safety and the pin is released without a finger on the trigger. Seems there is a fair bit of slop in the safety.

What do I need to do. I really do not want to have to send this back to the builder and I am not sure I should. I know, I know, dont brush the safety..... but I am concerned with it....

Any help here? thanks!

Re: Safety Help

Thanks Dan.

Is there a place I can read up on how to do this? Ill be honest... I dont even know where to begin. I am pretty new to bolt guns like this.

EDIT: Any good books about working on bolt guns I should pick up?

Is this with your M40A1? Sounds like something isn't adjusted or tuned correctly. The A1 requires trigger machining so maybe something is fooked up there. just a thought.

Yeah, I talked to George about it. If what George recommended doesnt work then I will probably adjust it.

Thanks!