• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Safety Razor

Thereaper1313

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2020
Found this Gillette Tech Safety Razor today at an antique flea market today for $10. Always wanted to try one. Just gotta find some blades and give it a go.

Attachments

• 20220920_182914.jpg
    20220920_182914.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 20220920_182901.jpg
    20220920_182901.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 20220920_182839.jpg
    20220920_182839.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 63
I don’t want to junk up @Thereaper1313 ’s thread 😅
Junk up or class up? You got the knowledge. I know you do from all of your scattered posts in the Funny and Awesome pic thread.

@Thereaper1313 I don't have anything good to share. When I get my beard trimmed (cause the wife says it gets too long) I get it trimmed to 2.5" on the chin by my local barber. I do shave my head on a semi regular basis but I just use some Harry's blades I've had for a few years.

Junk up or class up? You got the knowledge. I know you do from all of your scattered posts in the Funny and Awesome pic thread.

@Thereaper1313 I don't have anything good to share. When I get my beard trimmed (cause the wife says it gets too long) I get it trimmed to 2.5" on the chin by my local barber. I do shave my head on a semi regular basis but I just use some Harry's blades I've had for a few years.
Personally thought Harry's were over rated. German steel might be good (Wusthof) but the japanese (Shun) make some damn sharp steel too. At least from my experience in the kitchen

Reactions: DeadAss
DE razors are something I enjoy. They harken to a time when things were less …. muddled… Shaving as a ritual, something you do for yourself as a man in a careful and deliberate manner is one way I reclaim what the current world would take.

+1 for picking up a sample pack of blades. I use a Merkur 38C razor. I've tried others, like Parker slant blade, a Game Changer, etc, but I prefer the Merkur. I'm not terribly picky on soaps, but I do like Prorasso and Pre de Provence. Get yourself a good badger hair brush. The blades are a different story. Feathers are really popular. My personal favorite is Voskhod. $9 for 100 will last me about 2 years with each blade giving me 4 shaves. They're still incredibly sharp after 4 shaves, but at 9 cents apiece, I don't need to get stingy. I've tried Gillette, Merkur, Derby, Bic, Personally, Astra, and a few others. I keep going back to Voskhod because they fit my beard

@Thereaper1313 you can usually find Wilkinson Sword blades in old fashioned drugs stores locally. I recommend skipping that as they are not particularly smooth or sharp. Good/recommended blades tend to fall into those two categories. Some prefer very sharp blades of which the aforementioned Feather Stainless is one. Others prefer smooth blades, which are often called “platinum”. Astra SP is a well regarded smooth blade.

Sharp sounds good but can feel rough, especially to those new to DE shaving. Smooth blades are plenty sharp but don’t feel as rough to some folks. My personal favorite is Shark Platinum which is made by Lord in Egypt. I have about 2000 😆 I got them at a deal after I looked around a bit.

Watch a few videos on technique. Short, light strokes instead of long passes like you do with cartridge razors will win the day.

Soap matters. I recommend Taconic brand to a lot of people. It holds water well, is slick without being filmy and every variety smells great. It is available on Amazon for around $13.

Brushes….can be a rabbit hole. There is nothing wrong with a $20 quality synthetic to start but a good pure badger hair brush like a Plisson will make you say “why didn’t I do this sooner”. Avoid boar hair brushes, they stink when wet.

I haven’t lathered in a bowl in a long while. I wet my brush and swirl in the soap puck and lather on my face. Nothing wrong with a bowl of lather but it doesn’t help my shave.

Don’t get caught up in getting a perfectly smooth face when beginning. It’ll just frustrate you. Make a pass with the grain (find your grain in different areas of your face first) then rinse. Lather up again and make a pass across the grain. Then just stop. Against the grain can and will leave your face irritated and maybe bloody as a beginner and using a Tech. A Tech isn’t a particularly efficient razor so you’ll be tempted to go over areas too many times which will lead to a red sore face.

Take your time. Make it a ritual. Shave fresh from the shower with wet whiskers and enjoy the process. Be slow, particular and deliberate. If you’re in a hurry, shave with a cartridge razor or electric.

PM me and I will send you some blades to try. -Paul

What in the fuck is going on around here? I thought this was a forum for men?

Yeah don’t cheap out on a brush and soap. My favorites are Taylor of old bond and the art of shaving for soap.

I like feathers but you can order a sampler pack and pick your favorites.

I love feather blades, especially in a Feather ASD2. It is my daily routine. It was pricey, but worth it.

I have a couple pre WW2 Gillette Tech's, and while they are really good, the ASD2 is badass.

Tabac soap and Tabac aftershave.

Last edited:
Reactions: Changed
I have the same razor from the 40s and a clam shell Gillette from the 53-55. Feather blades of nothing. This shaving cream is pretty good too.

I haven’t shaved in 10-12 years though, I have shave days my balls with them that’s a gamble.

My first shave was with my grandfather’s old razor that his dad gave him when he deployed to the Pacific in WW2. He gave it to my dad, no idea what it is. My old man always used Wilkinson Sword blades until they dried up locally and I started wet shaving again. Now he just steals Feathers from me when he needs em. I started with a cheapo brush. Then bought a Simpson no 1 and let it sit in the cupboard for at least a year while I wore out the old brush. That was dumb. Been through a few razors but currently using an Ikon slant. I like slants now. It’s a ritual for me that I thoroughly enjoy. I like to have a decent bourbon or rye while I’m at it. Just dipping my toe in the vintage razor game.

I've got my grandpa's old Gillette safety razor, and use it whenever I get the urge to shave. Works a lot better than those stupid expensive cartridge razors.

I agree, those Wilkinson Sword blades kinda suck. The ones I use are some kind of ice tempered blades made in Germany.

Feather blades and Musco Real soap with a good badger brush. Try a homemade pre-shave oil (cheaper) if your face doesn’t breakout. All about the prep.

Vintage razors for me are not about ultimate performance. They are about a connection to the past. Who here would pass up shooting an original 1895 Winchester or think it was lame because it won’t shoot a ragged hole?

I have owned some very nice vintage stuff and still have a few. I just bought an absolutely perfect Fatboy which I put away for my grandson. They’re not the best shaver (don’t taze me bro) but are very good. They are iconic, the top of the line and feature great workmanship and finish. Like owning a Shovelhead 😅 It will be something my grandson will admire and fondly remember “Babaw” when he holds it. A little piece of what I leave this world with.

A9CE4022-9F8D-40CD-8E18-83956AA832B1.jpeg

I have a 1955 Super Speed Red Tip that is my favorite razor, not because it is a perfect shave but because it transports me to a better time. A time when people had hope and morals and loved America. It will bite you if you’re careless and demands attention and focus. It makes shaving anything but a chore or mindless. It reminds me of who I am.

49FECD7C-D5D4-4428-BDAF-524064E7002E.jpeg

My passion is slants. Slant razors twist the blade which does something the thin steel needs to not chatter and irritate skin; gives it some stiffness. Not all are equal. Some are abysmal.

My slant collection includes some vintage and modern, of those some are because I appreciate their history and appearance and some are absolute laser beams for shaving.

Modern great slants include:

The Wunderbar by Razorock is a laser. Used gently with a smooth blade it is a joy you won’t believe compared to most other razors. Stainless, efficient and hefty. When available it is $130, I just sold my original WB (without rollmark) and kept the later one.

9307CA20-92B5-4357-8B86-429145E34E7C.jpeg

The Fatip LoStorto Originale is the best deal in modern razors. Brass construction and open comb make it a great first slant. It is made in a closed comb as well, LoStorto Gentile. About $35.

E7564F73-B7FA-457E-AF27-E3C305B2171E.jpeg

My favorite slant unfortunately isn’t made anymore. It is the Fine Slant made by Fine Accoutrements. It is aluminum and very light meaning the technique includes some pressure. It is smoother than the Wunderbar but just as efficient (maybe more efficient) and holds the blade perfectly with no detectable chatter. It is based on the Fasan Slant (Solingen) from Germany which was a bakelite razor made in the early 1900s (I just found a PERFECT Golf brand Solingen made razor on eBay Germany and have it on the way). I have the plastic Fine slant as well which was the aluminum model’s predecessor. Both are simply perfect tools, at least for me.

26DDFA67-CBE9-406F-B033-6BA42D6D2021.jpeg

The aforementioned Golf slant (ad photo) The guy has another listed if anyone wants to get one.

8B35FC34-CDEE-48EE-8F7B-BB4F7A769CC3.jpeg

Well there, I did it. I junked up the thread. 🤦🏼‍♂️

Found this Gillette Tech Safety Razor today at an antique flea market today for $10. Always wanted to try one. Just gotta find some blades and give it a go.
I’m older and remember when that was state of the art. MKe sure to get band-aids when shopping for blades! Haha

Men shave with safety razors

Real men shave with straight blades

I'm not a real man
I’d argue that once you get past the learning curve, you have a greater probability of not getting knicks with a straight razor and certainly get a better shave than with replaceable blades of any type

Not to mention it saves a good bit of money over the years

Reactions: 308pirate
Sharp sounds good but can feel rough, especially to those new to DE shaving. Smooth blades are plenty sharp but don’t feel as rough to some folks. My personal favorite is Shark Platinum which is made by Lord in Egypt. I have about 2000 😆 I got them at a deal after I looked around a bit.

Soap matters. I recommend Taconic brand to a lot of people. It holds water well, is slick without being filmy and every variety smells great. It is available on Amazon for around $13.

Don’t get caught up in getting a perfectly smooth face when beginning. It’ll just frustrate you. Make a pass with the grain (find your grain in different areas of your face first) then rinse. Lather up again and make a pass across the grain. Then just stop. Against the grain can and will leave your face irritated and maybe bloody as a beginner and using a Tech. A Tech isn’t a particularly efficient razor so you’ll be tempted to go over areas too many times which will lead to a red sore face.
I went a little ways down this rabbit hole not too long ago and came up with these same answers.

I made my own sampler pack on www.tryablade.com with Derby Extras, Personna Lab Blues, and BIC Chrome Platinums. So far I prefer the Derby's, the others tended to slice me up a little around the corners of my mouth. Good shaves, just too aggressive for my taste. I just use one of the Van der Hagen butterfly shavers, which is suppsedly a rebranded Weishi 9306. One of these days I'm going to pick up a Merkur 34c or pick my own setup from Maggard's.

Cremo shave cream has been pretty good to me over the last few years, a little bit goes a long ways.

I purchased a safety razor years ago. Couldn't stand what modern cartridge razors cost, not that they even shave great anyways.

I believe a have a Merkur handle, and have found that I really like feather blades. Blades last me a long time - I bought a bunch years ago and still have a bunch stocked up, it will be many years before I'll have to spend more money on that.

Get a good badger brush, as others have mentioned. Soap is personal.

I did buy a straight razor at some point along the line as well, just haven't spent the time to get good with it so it gets left alone.

Reactions: RPN
Men shave with safety razors

Real men shave with straight blades

I'm not a real man
I have straights too but they’re not for mornings 😅

I went a little ways down this rabbit hole not too long ago and came up with these same answers.

I made my own sampler pack on www.tryablade.com with Derby Extras, Personna Lab Blues, and BIC Chrome Platinums. So far I prefer the Derby's, the others tended to slice me up a little around the corners of my mouth. Good shaves, just too aggressive for my taste. I just use one of the Van der Hagen butterfly shavers, which is suppsedly a rebranded Weishi 9306. One of these days I'm going to pick up a Merkur 34c or pick my own setup from Maggard's.

Cremo shave cream has been pretty good to me over the last few years, a little bit goes a long ways.
Derby isn’t what I would call great but usually won’t blood you. PM me an address and I will send you something to try.

I love my safety razor. I use a Gillette Fatboy 1960s razor. My preferred shaving cream and other products are Proraso. I use a badger hair brush and use a bowl to get my lather. I prefer Rapira Lux blades and can get anywhere from 1 to 3 shaves out of them depending on my beard and beard prep. I don't know if I can suggest getting these as they are made in Russia and my not be available in the future.

I really like the idea of not using plastic razors anymore. Everyone is trying to recycle these days, but the good old days they were already recycling and not using plastics. They also made shit to last. Just think back in the day a Gillette Fatboy cost $1.95 and a restored one today will set you back at least $180. The razor I am using is older than me.

Well this thread was well timed. I’ve been getting annoyed by the constant raising prices of my favorite cheap disposable razors (Bic Flex-3; used to be under $3 for 5 razors, but recently they’ve bumped up to $4, and they reduced them to 3 per package)

I shave my entire head and most of my face (work policy says I can keep a goatee and mustache, so I’ve been trying that out for the last year. Some history; I started noticeably balding around 13, and required a buzzcut by 16. I started shaving my head around 23 when even the buzzcut was starting to look rough. My head is about the ONLY place I don’t grow hair well. 😂 I get about a weeks worth of shaving out of a disposable razor before it’s dulled out, but honestly even that long is pushing it. I like to keep a decent stockpile of all toiletries, just like pretty much everything else I own and use regularly. I’ve been saving money on haircuts my entire adult life, but razor prices have me pissed off lately.

Started doing some research, and (having seen his forum contributions previously) taking advantage of the information posted above by our resident razor addict, Lawless.

Anyone use Fendrihan.com? They have some budget friendly stuff (badger brush, razor sampler packs, brush/razor stand I can leave on the shower shelf up out of the kids’ reach, etc) to get me started, but if their stuff is total junk then I won’t bother.

If @Lawless says the Fatip LoStorto is the best deal in modern razors; I’m willing to risk $35 on that, unless there’s a reason for a beginner not to start out with a slant? If I should consider a traditional to start, give me some good options.

As an aside, what does everyone do with their used blades? I figured I’d just run the edges against my bench grinder when they’re done and toss them in the trash?

@Anb618

As far as used blades go, the plastic containers that the blades come in have a slot to put used blades. Once you use all the blades in the container, you just through the plastic container out (like any piece of garbage). No sharps to worry about.

Easy peasy.

Reactions: Anb618
Well this thread was well timed. I’ve been getting annoyed by the constant raising prices of my favorite cheap disposable razors (Bic Flex-3; used to be under $3 for 5 razors, but recently they’ve bumped up to $4, and they reduced them to 3 per package)

I shave my entire head and most of my face (work policy says I can keep a goatee and mustache, so I’ve been trying that out for the last year. Some history; I started noticeably balding around 13, and required a buzzcut by 16. I started shaving my head around 23 when even the buzzcut was starting to look rough. My head is about the ONLY place I don’t grow hair well. 😂 I get about a weeks worth of shaving out of a disposable razor before it’s dulled out, but honestly even that long is pushing it. I like to keep a decent stockpile of all toiletries, just like pretty much everything else I own and use regularly. I’ve been saving money on haircuts my entire adult life, but razor prices have me pissed off lately.

Started doing some research, and (having seen his forum contributions previously) taking advantage of the information posted above by our resident razor addict, Lawless.

Anyone use Fendrihan.com? They have some budget friendly stuff (badger brush, razor sampler packs, brush/razor stand I can leave on the shower shelf up out of the kids’ reach, etc) to get me started, but if their stuff is total junk then I won’t bother.

If @Lawless says the Fatip LoStorto is the best deal in modern razors; I’m willing to risk $35 on that, unless there’s a reason for a beginner not to start out with a slant? If I should consider a traditional to start, give me some good options.

As an aside, what does everyone do with their used blades? I figured I’d just run the edges against my bench grinder when they’re done and toss them in the trash?
If you live in San Fran, you can probably just toss the old blades out on the sidewalk....

• Haha
Reactions: Anb618 and kthomas
@Anb618

As far as used blades go, the plastic containers that the blades come in have a slot to put used blades. Once you use all the blades in the container, you just through the plastic container out (like any piece of garbage). No sharps to worry about.

Easy peasy.
I guess it depends on the blade you use. The ones I get come in a paper box no plastic at all.

Reactions: kthomas
DE safety razors are excellent. Great shave at a fraction of cost compared to the cartridge systems. Blades and soaps preference are subjective as hell. Take the advice others have given and buy a sample pack of various manufacturer's blades. Be prepared to try a few soaps until you find the one that you like. I dislike Feather blades, but found I keep going back to the Gillette Platinum 7'oclocks. Soaps I vary between Tabac and the Taylor of Old Bond street cream. Like others have said a good badger brush is the way to go.

DE saftey razor for morning shaves on work days. Straight edge for those Sunday mornings when you have time. Before you know it you'll be hunting down classic straight blade razors and going down that rabbit hole.

DE safety razors are excellent. Blades and soaps preference are subjective as hell. Take the advice others have given and buy a sample pack of various manufacturers. Be prepared to try a few soaps until you find the one that you like. I dislike Feather blades, but found I keep going back to the Gillette Platinum 7'oclocks. Soaps I mix up between Tabac and the Taylor of Old Bond street cream. Like others have said a good badger brush is the way to go. Before you know it you'll be hunting down classic straight blade razors and going down that rabbit hole.

I should add that every blade and handle interacts differently. Some handles may be better suited to feathers, other handles may like Gilette's.

That's why it's important to sample and try at first, and see what preference you develop and what works best with your system.

I should add that every blade and handle interacts differently. Some handles may be better suited to feathers, other handles may like Gilette's.

That's why it's important to sample and try at first, and see what preference you develop and what works best with your system.
Very good point. I should add I use the Gillettes 7'O clock platiums in a Merker 36. The head and handle design does influence the blade.

Reactions: Anb618 and kthomas
Another brush option is Rudy Vey at Ultimate Pen Designs. Pick your brush size/type and handle material and he cranks it out. Have a few from him and they are great.

Small slit inside the bathroom storage cabinet going into the wall, slide em in and away between the walls they go for some poor soul 50 years from now to find when they pull off the Sheetrock

Vintage razors for me are not about ultimate performance. They are about a connection to the past. Who here would pass up shooting an original 1895 Winchester or think it was lame because it won’t shoot a ragged hole?

I have owned some very nice vintage stuff and still have a few. I just bought an absolutely perfect Fatboy which I put away for my grandson. They’re not the best shaver (don’t taze me bro) but are very good. They are iconic, the top of the line and feature great workmanship and finish. Like owning a Shovelhead 😅 It will be something my grandson will admire and fondly remember “Babaw” when he holds it. A little piece of what I leave this world with.

View attachment 7960570

I have a 1955 Super Speed Red Tip that is my favorite razor, not because it is a perfect shave but because it transports me to a better time. A time when people had hope and morals and loved America. It will bite you if you’re careless and demands attention and focus. It makes shaving anything but a chore or mindless. It reminds me of who I am.

View attachment 7960571

My passion is slants. Slant razors twist the blade which does something the thin steel needs to not chatter and irritate skin; gives it some stiffness. Not all are equal. Some are abysmal.

My slant collection includes some vintage and modern, of those some are because I appreciate their history and appearance and some are absolute laser beams for shaving.

Modern great slants include:

The Wunderbar by Razorock is a laser. Used gently with a smooth blade it is a joy you won’t believe compared to most other razors. Stainless, efficient and hefty. When available it is $130, I just sold my original WB (without rollmark) and kept the later one.

View attachment 7960573

The Fatip LoStorto Originale is the best deal in modern razors. Brass construction and open comb make it a great first slant. It is made in a closed comb as well, LoStorto Gentile. About $35.

View attachment 7960574

My favorite slant unfortunately isn’t made anymore. It is the Fine Slant made by Fine Accoutrements. It is aluminum and very light meaning the technique includes some pressure. It is smoother than the Wunderbar but just as efficient (maybe more efficient) and holds the blade perfectly with no detectable chatter. It is based on the Fasan Slant (Solingen) from Germany which was a bakelite razor made in the early 1900s (I just found a PERFECT Golf brand Solingen made razor on eBay Germany and have it on the way). I have the plastic Fine slant as well which was the aluminum model’s predecessor. Both are simply perfect tools, at least for me.

View attachment 7960576

The aforementioned Golf slant (ad photo) The guy has another listed if anyone wants to get one.

View attachment 7960577

Well there, I did it. I junked up the thread. 🤦🏼‍♂️
When I had to shave for work the 55 red tip was my go to.

• Love
Reactions: Lawless
@Anb618 I don't know that I would start with a slant. There's a distinct learning curve when it comes to using a razor, and honestly, you get spoiled by the Gillette six blade stuff because it's just so easy. You have to get used to holding the razor at the right angle, get used to using little to no pressure and letting the heft of the razor and the sharpness of the blade do the work, etc. I started with a Merkur 34C and used it for several years before moving on to the 38C, which is basically just the 34C with a longer handle, and then I started branching out to the slants and other razors. As with anything, your mileage may vary

Reactions: Anb618

Head shaving is different. I would go with a known mild razor. A Razorock Gamechanger .68 in the closed comb would be my recommendation. Stainless build and fairly efficient and very mild. You can buy a .84 baseplate once you’re very comfortable.

I have straights too but they’re not for mornings 😅

Derby isn’t what I would call great but usually won’t blood you. PM me an address and I will send you something to try.
Ya the Derby's tend to get a bad rap - still not 100% sold on them, they just treat my face the best out of the 3 that I have on hand.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm due up here pretty quick to make another order anyways - what was your suggestion to try?

Ya the Derby's tend to get a bad rap - still not 100% sold on them, they just treat my face the best out of the 3 that I have on hand.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm due up here pretty quick to make another order anyways - what was your suggestion to try?
Astra SP
Shark Platinum

Both are very smooth and plenty sharp. I can get 5-6 shaves on either before any noticeable performance drop.

Reactions: jg6.5