• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sage, Troy or JAE?

Fast Ed

Private
Minuteman
May 3, 2007
I'm coming into the market for a modern chassis to fit my National Match Springfield M1A. I am looking for comments on the three main choices, Sage, Troy and JAE. I will be using the M1A for sniper matches and target shooting and have no LE or MIL needs for it.

I would especially like info on the ease of assembly, accuracy improvement over the std stock and scope mounting issues.

Thanks for whatever help you can provide.

Fast Ed

Re: Sage, Troy or JAE?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fast Ed</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> sniper matches and target shooting</div></div>

I have this M14 set up for target shooting and would like to work my way into sniper matches.
I am using the M14ALCS/PMRI chassis stock from SAGE.

IMG_4150-2-1.jpg

I'm switching from a JAE to a Sage Mod 1. Just changing the stock the rifle lost 4 pounds. The Troy didn't do anything for me, a little too AR-ish for me (If I wanted a .308 AR I'd have kept my LR-308) but that's personal opinion.

The JAE is literally the easiest to install. Just a drop in fit with the addition of slipping in the lug slides. The Sage requires you change the op rod guide with their op rod guide block that bolts to the chassis. It's not a major job to do yourself. The Troy isn't that hard to install either, most of it is bolting the battle rail to it with all the fittings for the stock.

For precision/target shooting the JAE is it. Their new G3 stock is supposed to be lighter and thinner which is a big plus.

Scopes... the Sage and JAE will require some sort of mount be installed. The Troy has a full length top rail so it'd probably be the easiest for mounting optics.

Hope this helps.

If its bench and prone I would definitely go the JAE route. JAE with this scope mount would be good if you have no intentions of using irons.

http://www.gruningprecision.com/m1a%20scope%20base.html

It will be perfectly in line with the bore. The SEI and Sadlak mounts are also quite intense but will involve modification of the sage stock to work properly.

If you actually want to move with it go with the SAGE stock.

Not a fan of the troy personally. Though their new CAR 14 is very enticing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DeSnifter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

If you actually want to move with it go with the SAGE stock.</div></div>

Yep, it's lighter than the others in the precision category and it delivers sub MOA accuracy.

Of all the scope mounts that can be used on SAGE stocks I like the SAGE DCSB best.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fast Ed</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> sniper matches and target shooting</div></div>

I have this M14 set up for target shooting and would like to work my way into sniper matches.

IMG_4150-2-1.jpg
</div></div>

Do they make a folder for that buttstock yet?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RWSGunsmithing</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fast Ed</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> sniper matches and target shooting</div></div>

</div></div>

Do they make a folder for that buttstock yet? </div></div>

Not that I know of, but I bet someone is working on one.

I would like a folder for the PMRI and I would want the
mechanism to be something like South Korea's Daewoo K2,
but folding to the other side. I think the SAGE chassis
is robust enough to support this type of mechanism.

I'm new to folders... is there a folding mechanism worthy of precision accuracy?

... ...

The Troy is Heavy, I have been looking at the mcmillan or the MCcann stocks to replace it

No Expert say it ain't so... I bought a JAE because of how great your's looked. Still waiting for it though.

My M1a is pretty heavy with the NF 5.5-22x56 on it, but I'm only going to be shooting it off a bench, so no prob. Did you already sell your JAE?

Regards,

Rick

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rick S.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No Expert say it ain't so... I bought a JAE because of how great your's looked. Still waiting for it though.

My M1a is pretty heavy with the NF 5.5-22x56 on it, but I'm only going to be shooting it off a bench, so no prob. Did you already sell your JAE?

Regards,

Rick </div></div>

It's so...

IMG_0295-2.jpg

I sold the JAE a couple months ago. The rifle lost 4 pounds just changing the stock. I just sold the scope and will be having a little smaller USO built for me to take a little more weight off. When I shoot out the barrel I may switch to a standard profile barrel to drop even more weight.

There's nothing wrong with the JAE, I really liked mine... until I took it on hikes. After a few hikes with it I decided it had to lose weight somewhere. So far the weight loss program is working...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoExpert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I sold the JAE a couple months ago. The rifle lost 4 pounds just changing the stock. </div></div>

I like what you are doing and that's a huge weight reduction.

For precision shooting from the prone or a bench, I would recommend the JAE-100. My rifle is heavy as hell, but it's very comfortable to shoot and the ergos are great for prone shooting.

HOWEVER, the thing is heavy. Holy shit is it heavy. If you plan to move around at all with the weapon, look into a Sage. I would also recommend looking into the McMillan Adjustable M3A stock as an alternative.

The Troy is a nice system, but I think it's more aptly suited for a SOCOM or Scout M1A and an Aimpoint. The same goes with the McMillan MFS-14.

Other than being much heavier than the SAGE, what does the JAE-100 offer the the PMRI does not?