• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Training Courses Saint Crispians / Scott Olson Basic Long Range

Just Jim

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2008
"Mexico North" (So. Calif.)
Hello gang-

My wife, Mary and I took advantage of the Basic Long Range class offered by the Academy of Saint Crispians on 29 and 30 September, 2012.

This is a new course offering for St. Crispians. Crispians founder Stanton Lee tasked Marine Scout Sniper veteran Scott Olson with presenting this topic, and he did a superb job.

If you've ever wanted to take a crack at the Marine Scout Sniper course, this may be as close as you can get without shaking hands with Uncle Sam. Obviously this is a very abbreviated course, just two days, but we digested a considerable amount of info in that time.

Day one was principally lecture and Q&A, with dry fire practice held until the end of the session. Scott has a very methodical manner of teaching, and while he was quick to answer questions, he drives straight through and makes certain that all of the information gets covered.

Scott has a great personal interest in ballistics, internal, external and terminal, so this was covered in detail. If there was a special emphasis in the class, it was on positional shooting. Several variations of sitting, kneeling and offhand were demonstrated and put into practice. It's not exactly an ego booster to leave the stability of supported prone, but these other positions are useful and relevant, so Scott made certain we were all brought up to speed.

Firing was conducted at the Angeles Shooting Range. Shooting began with a check of zero at 100 yards on paper, with all subsequent shooting done on steel. Steel of various sizes was available out to 600 yards, and a convenient berm a little farther on gave us the chance to collect data at 700.

Collecting data for current conditions was another topic Scott stressed. With temps in the high 90s, I did find my usual come-ups a little excessive, and Mary's rifle was shooting quite a bit flatter than normal.

In summary, this is a basic class, but a good one. Tuition was $500 per, although of course, this may change. Given the number of "new shooter" questions I see here on the Hide, it seems there are a good number of people who are taking up the long rifle, and for those in the Southern California area, I heartily recommend this very good learning opportunity.

Cheers... Jim

For further info:
www.stcrispian.com

DSCN3542.jpg

DSCN3572.jpg

DSCN3552.jpg

DSCN3607.jpg

DSCN3587.jpg

DSCN3566.jpg