• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako 28/76 Biathlon rifle on GB

Re: Sako 28/76 Biathlon rifle on GB

It's entirely possible that the receiver on that rifle is well over 100 years old.

I have six of these rifles in various conditions. They are very interesting to own and shoot. All of mine came from a dealer in Alabama. Recently I was there after he sold the bottom of the barrel guns. He takes me to the warehouse and shows me six crates of near new 28/76s that got misplaced when they originally ordered them! The Finns really know how to get the most from a MN.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwSubMOA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have six of these rifles in various conditions. They are very interesting to own and shoot. All of mine came from a dealer in Alabama. Recently I was there after he sold the bottom of the barrel guns. He takes me to the warehouse and shows me six crates of near new 28/76s that got misplaced when they originally ordered them! The Finns really know how to get the most from a MN. </div></div>

A couple of things. First, can you post or PM me a link to this dealer? I would like to get one of these rifles if it is in good working order so contact information would be very helpful.

Second, I'm posting an example picture so we can all see whats being talked about. That also is very helpful, at least to old farts like me.

pix778535577.jpg

Sure, it is Birmingham Pistol Wholesale. I'm not sure if this works as a link but, http://www.birminghampistol.com/. Ask for Shane, he deals with these and I have told him how to evaluate them for customers.

Now as to the rifle. The fact that it has seen competition is not in question. Just be aware that the stippling is almost assuredly done by the previous owner, not the AV-1 depot. The fact that it has an original scope and mount is very good also and they appear to have the "tower" acceptance stamps. It absolutely should have the original match sights included, kinda a deal breaker if you want a complete rifle. PM or post if you have any questions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwSubMOA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sure, it is Birmingham Pistol Wholesale. I'm not sure if this works as a link but, http://www.birminghampistol.com/. Ask for Shane, he deals with these and I have told him how to evaluate them for customers.

Now as to the rifle. The fact that it has seen competition is not in question. Just be aware that the stippling is almost assuredly done by the previous owner, not the AV-1 depot. The fact that it has an original scope and mount is very good also and they appear to have the "tower" acceptance stamps. It absolutely should have the original match sights included, kinda a deal breaker if you want a complete rifle. PM or post if you have any questions. </div></div>
Excellent post! Many thanks for all the great information!