• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako 6.5x55 questions

John D.

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 2, 2010
CT
I have a mint Sako Hunter in 6.5 x 55 SM. Up until I joined this site and bought a DTA SRS, it was the most accurate bolt action I have ever shot.

So since it's just sitting in the safe and I have a ton of 6.5 reloading components, I wanted to know how difficult it would be to convert it over to a tactical rifle.

It is an A V action.

-What barrels would be available? I have used Lilja and PacNor.

-Do any of those barrels come ready for installation with just the headspace needing to be set?

-What chassis or stocks are made for this action, if any?

Like I said, it's just been sitting there and if this is too impractical then I'll just leave it alone. i do have a gunsmith that can do the work but if someone out there specializes in a project like this than I would consider them.

Thank you for your help.

Re: Sako 6.5x55 questions

"Butcher it" is right. Leave it as the excellent hunting stick it is. If you must have a 6.5mm tactical rifle then build one from scratch instead of murdering something else.

I would suggest that you leave that Sako alone.

A 6.5 Swede is a great hunting cartridge in a lightweight rifle. Besides, you have already said it is a very accurate shooter. Don't mess with it.

If you want to build a heavy barreled rifle, there are many other options.

What the guys above said. The Sweed is one of my favorite cartridges and you would be ill served to make any changes to that rifle.

So what I'm picking up is the idea NOT to touch the rifle. Gotcha.
grin.gif

Thanks for the input. I'll leave her as is.

If it's "just sitting there" I'd put it on Gunbroker and use the funds to build what you want. The 6.5x55se Sako's command a pretty good price. Or they seem to when that was a path I considered traveling awhile back. Remington offered the 6.5x55se in '94 (I think)as their "Classic". Those still pop up from time to time. I know where one is sitting if someone wanted one bad enough.
smile.gif

It's your rifle. If you aren't getting any use out of it then sell it for tac rifle funds or convert it. I have a 6.5x55 target rifle I made built on an old M70 push feed. Trued the action, fitted a Krieger barrel and it rocks. I just bought a Tikka T3 for something similar. A Sako would be a fine for basis of target rifle. Any barrel maker could drill a heavy barrel to fit your needs. They might make you one pre-threaded ansd chambered BUT you will always need to check headspace. Get a MCM stock, bed it and mount your optics. Done. Your toys, get joy out of them or get something different.

If you are looking to build a custom I would sell it to a collector and use the funds to buy an action exactly the way you want it. A sako action would make a great custom but there is something classic about the Finnish firearm chambered in 6.5x55. I have two sako 85's and a tikka m695 master sporter in 6.5x55 that I wouldn't get rid of. Just a great combo.

Accuflite sells sako actions if you do want to do a build off of a sako action. Also, there is a sako collectors forum that will be able to give you an idea of what your rifle would be worth. I've seen mint 6.5x55 sako a-series rifles go for $1500+ in the past, just have to find the right buyer.