• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Sako 75 accuracy

gei

Private
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2007
New Orleans, LA.
I have a Sako 270 WSM, had the rifle for about 5 or 6 years. Finally took it out to shoot with handloads and factory. It will put first two shots into almost one hole @ 100 yaards. Then it starts walking all over. It is stainless with synthetic stock.

On my 700, I torque front screw to 60 inch pounds and rear to 30 inch pounds. It works well in all of of my other rifles, what should I try. The barrel is free floated.

Re: Sako 75 accuracy

Check all your scope mounting fasteners. Try a different proven scope. Even the best variables can have zero issues. Are you letting it cool down between shots?
Get some dye chem and make sure that the barrel is really free floated when shooting off a rest, that the the recoil lug ONLY touches on the backside and that there are no other high spots that are torquing the action. Give it a real good cleaning and get some ammo of known accuracy like Federal Premium with Nosler BTs or Remington Premier. SAKOs and Tikkas are usually tack drivers.

Give these a try and feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.
(I'll put my $ on a scope/mount problem)

Of course if you had a real 270 WCF, you would not be having these issues (JUST KIDDING!)

Here's my latest 270 WCF project. (Marlin with Burris TAC 30). Less than $800 in it and even "out of the box" it was a 1 MOA gun. Given the one sided pressure bedded bbl and the bendy tupperware stock it should do a lot better with my latest mods of free floating, reinforcing fore end and glass bedding action.

DSCN2839.jpg