• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako 75 re-barrel?

penguinofsleep

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2020
Somewhere USA
How difficult is it for a gunsmith to rebarrel a Sako 75?

Looking to get a Sako 75 in 6.5x55 but want to make sure it can be rebarreled without jumping through a ton of hoops before I set out to find a rifle or complete action. For some reason I vaguely recall it wasn't that straightforward but still very possible to rebarrel a Sako 75, but I could be wrong. Given that the 75 has been discontinued for 10+ years, I'm assuming I'm going to have to buy any Sako 75 IV sized action or rifle (this corresponds to the 6.5x55 for Sako) in whatever caliber it shows up in and then have it (re)barreled rather than trying to buy a complete 75 in 6.5x55.

How difficult is it for a gunsmith to rebarrel a Sako 75?

Looking to get a Sako 75 in 6.5x55 but want to make sure it can be rebarreled without jumping through a ton of hoops before I set out to find a rifle or complete action. For some reason I vaguely recall it wasn't that straightforward but still very possible to rebarrel a Sako 75, but I could be wrong. Given that the 75 has been discontinued for 10+ years, I'm assuming I'm going to have to buy any Sako 75 IV sized action or rifle (this corresponds to the 6.5x55 for Sako) in whatever caliber it shows up in and then have it (re)barreled rather than trying to buy a complete 75 in 6.5x55.
Not difficult at all if the gunsmith is competent. There is no real difference in a Sako compared to the average threaded action.

It usually is quite hard to remove the barrel from the action, but after that there is no difference.

It would be preferable to get a IV, since action and length magazine length will be correct.

Sako M995 is based on the TRG-41 338 LM length action and was sold in 6.5×55 as well. Everything is doable.

I would say the hard part is finding the rifle. 😊

Reactions: penguinofsleep
I had Spartan Rifles re barrel a Sako 75 to a 6.5 Creedmoor, he even recontoured the barrel to match the end of the action diameter, bead blasted the barrel to match the stainless action as well.
Shoots great.
I wouldn’t hesitate to send another one back.

Reactions: penguinofsleep
Buy a shouldered tikka t3 prefit and use it.

Are all T3 / T3X / 75 / 85 barrels interchangeable assuming they're the same profile and fit in the stock (or fit in whatever aftermarket stock)? Looking online really quickly it looks like there are some reports of Sako 75 and 85 using a 1.5mm thread, some reports of a 1.6mm thread (which converts very closely to 16TPI) while others had 75 and 85 with 16TPI thread. It seems like everyone is reporting that the T3 and T3x are all 16TPI. All with a 1" diameter.

Otherwise, it looks like the donor barrels don't have any other requirements such as having to be from the "same size" action. I know the T3/x is the same size receiver regardless of caliber, etc... but I think you know what I mean.

Last edited:
Are all T3 / T3X / 75 / 85 barrels interchangeable assuming they're the same profile and fit in the stock (or fit in whatever aftermarket stock)? Looking online really quickly it looks like there are some reports of Sako 75 and 85 using a 1.5mm thread, some reports of a 1.6mm thread (which converts very closely to 16TPI) while others had 75 and 85 with 16TPI thread. It seems like everyone is reporting that the T3 and T3x are all 16TPI. All with a 1" diameter.

Otherwise, it looks like the donor barrels don't have any other requirements such as having to be from the "same size" action. I know the T3/x is the same size receiver regardless of caliber, etc... but I think you know what I mean.

At least the IV (6,5x55, 30-06) and III (308win) actions use the same tenon as the tikka t3. Last week I put a tikka t3 varmint 308 win barrel into my Sako 75 308 win and it headapaces correctly. Barrels are made in the same factory.

I don't know of a premium barrel maker that will thread and pre-chamber a Sako barrel. There may be, I just don't know of them. The L61R has an inch pattern tenon thread and is an easy rebarrel.

The premium barrels I'm familiar with, Lilja, Krieger, Hart, etc, will run about $400 for an unfluted blank. The gunsmith cost for a straight rebarrel job should be $350-$500 if he has the reamer and headspace gage.

If you can find a 'smith who does quality work, you will be close to, or above the cost of a new rifle, but will have a custom rifle with a premium barrel on a premium action. There will probably be a wait. Usually depends on how busy the "smith is.

Good luck whatever you decide.