• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako 75

LetItGo

StraightShooter
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2017
Paris Texas
I have a Sako 75, bought it before I know what I do today. Do people have the actions trued on these like a 700? It shoots rather well and wondering if the extra money u spend on these if the action is trued? Also does Manners make custom stocks that I can put this action in, if I remember correctly I did contact them I believe and they said no. If that's the case does anyone know of hunting stocks that will take a Sako 75 action? If I wanted to put a new barrel on it and have it chambered is something different what would my options be as its in .30-06 right now? TIA!

Generally, the Sako 75's don't require any truing/blueprinting work, but if its getting rebarrelled get your smith to fit it up and check the faces and threads etc if for nothing more than to ease your mind. McMillan make a number of stock profiles for the 75's, my personal favourite being their variant of the Sako 75 varmint stock.

The Sako varmint stock is just about the most comfortable general use stock ever to be put on a rifle in my opinion! I love the Sako 75s and they really have never needed trueing in my experience. A couple limiting factors on why I don't think you see more around here; the mag system is what you get, no after market for longer or higher capacity. The scope. Mounting is odd. Not really rail friendly.

Triggers are are great and factory barrels are very accurate. IMO not sure id ever try to build up a tac type rifle on one though.

With the current 30-06 you can get a a lot of different rounds chambered on a new barrel! Any standard long action round like the 280,30-06,270,6.5-284,284 or even a short action round throated to run longer bullets seated farther out of the case like a 260,7-08 or something like that. A 260ai with a long action type throat would run 140-150 at really good speeds

To be completely honest, the dovetail connection between the receiver and scope rings used by Sako, Tikka, and CZ on their centerfire rifles are more than strong enough to keep a scope where it needs to be short of serious, deliberate abuse.

Ring choices are a little more limited, but what is out there is mostly high quality.

In my mind the only drawback to the 75 and the 85 is the lack of magazine options.

Good advice above.

I went through this same process about 4 years ago. At the time i had and still have a 75 Finnlight in 7-08. I wanted a 30-06 to match. So i found one at a decent price but wasn't thrilled with the 11 twist 20" bbl. I sent off the 06 and had a Shilen 26" 10 twist barrel in a #2 contour put on. I told the smith to true it and screw it. Turns out the action didn't need truing and the #2 contour fit the barrel channel perfectly with no alteration. Balances perfect and is within ounces of factory weight.

I tried the cheaper route with rings and bases. Don't bother. The Optilock rings and bases are the way to go. Heavy, but solid with no issues.

As stated, McMillan makes stocks for it, but my opinion, unless you are buying a synthetic to preserve a nice wood stock or shave weight, Sako stocks are about as ergonomically correct as they get. The Varmint stock mentioned above was very tempting.

Action is slick as snot and trigger is phenominal. No need to monkey with them except for pull weight.

Now, my intent was to keep this as a factory set up and not tac it out. For hunting purposes, I couldn't be happier. If your intent is to strip it down and turn it into a heavier tactical or target style set up, then i think there are better options. Sako TRG stocks do not fit these actions. I wish they did.

Depending on your hunting/shooting purposes, the 06 may be fine. If it isn't, choose the cartridge, barrel.. etc based on your intended use.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

I sold my 308 75 a short time ago to finance something else. However, the buyer told me the dimentions on the 75 mags was very similar to the AI AW 308 double stack mags so he was going to modify the AI AW-mags to fit the 75. It's worth a look.

McMillan 75 varmint is it......If you ever wanna go picatinney ..Get one from. Richard Near...Cost a little more than others...but worth every penny... I have both stock and rail...Might as well forget tactical because of bottom metal options..Otherwise a fine action with a great trigger...

Might as well forget tactical because of bottom metal options..
You know, Army and Marine snipers were tactical as fuck with BDL bottom metals on their rifles for quite a while......

My 75 isn't a BDL it's a mag. And I have the Optilock rings on it. And after reading the above posts I'm gonna leave it as is for a hunting rifle. It's in a Sako synthetic stock, I will just have it bedded. Thanks for the info it helped me make my decision guys. I will be having a custom built soon for PRS matches in either the 6x47 or 6.5x47.

If you want a 10rd capacity in the 75III length action, the AW mags fit into the Sako 75 factory DBM, but require modification, basically welding the metal locking tab to the front edge to hold it in correctly. but for length the factory mag is almost identical in length, possibly a poofteenth longer than the AW from memory.

For picatinny rail to open your ring choices you cant go past Near mfg.

The triggers are great, easily adjusted for pull weight if required.

These are my pair in 223 and 308, both in McMillan Sako Varmints, both with Richards Pic rails, Both 20in barrels setup as practical carry guns/all rounders.

Attachments

• photo83040.jpg
    photo83040.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 105
  • photo83041.jpg
    photo83041.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 249