• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

sako 85 varmint stainless in 223?

Dantrom

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2009
northwest ohio
Was at the gun store today and came across a sako xs in 223 with a 1-10 twist 24" barrel.
I couldnt help but notice the fit and finish of the rifle was fantastic. The action looked almost identical to the sako 995 I own even the three lug bolt, only from what I can find these actions, the XS series, are build to match the caliber so the 223 and 204 versions have the smallest action of the series.
I curious if anyone here has any field experience with these rifles?
Im having a hard time forgeting about it and keep wanting to go back and the thing to my collection.
would just like to hear some opinions or experience from anyone who has possibly handled one or used one.

heres a link from eurooptics Sako -Sako Stainless Varmint - Sako Varmint Rifles for sale!

Also curious to here from anyone who has experience with a 1-10 twist 223?
what kind of loads and valocities are guys using and to what type of range performance.

thanks guys!

Wow that looks like a beautiful rifle.. I can't speak for that particular rifle, but I can say Sako makes some damn good rifles. My first one was a Gray Wolf in 270WSM that I purchased used from a Hide member. I don't shoot it much since its primarily a hunting rifle, but this rifle shoots great. Its completely stock. After purchasing that rifle I purchased another Sako L579 in 22-250. This rifle is also a great shooter. The Sako actions are very smooth and shoot great. Well worth the price in my opinion. After seeing this Varmint model, I may have to purchase one myself... when I can save up the funds of course.

I looked at the same model in a Gander Mountain in San Antonio and my impression was like yours. Love the .223 scaled action and it appeared to have custom rifle quality in a production rifle. Was very happy to learn it can be had with an 8" twist. Would love to give one a try.

John

If you're going to get it for varmints I'd strongly consider the 22-250 (it's the same price on the same page). 22-250 ammo is reasonably priced - easy to reload and better performance on varminting than a .223
Much flatter shooting which is good at distance. The .243 would be my near second choice.

I have noticed the same as you, Sako makes a very fine hunting rifle with excellent fit and finish out of the box. I don't have any experience with that particular model but do plan to pick up an 85 Gray Wolf or Finnlight in 300 Win Mag in the near future. The only real downside to the 85 I have found so far is that aftermarket stock choices are limited (there are a few), but if you are happy with the factory stock then that is not an issue.

everything about them is nice apart from there ejection issues in the sako 85, do some research onn ejection before you buy