• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako A III Carbine

Chipster697

Private
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2010
Sorta Downeast
I went to the local Cabelas because I’d found a Ruger M77 RSI with a Mannlicher stock on GunsInternational. Didn’t like the finish or 18” barrel for .30-06 on the Ruger, but this Sako started haunting me. Have you ever picked up a rifle, raised it to your shoulder and thought ”This is it!” That‘s what happened to me with this Sako A III chambered in .270 Winchester. Closest I can narrow it down is 1978-1981.
IMG_1806.jpeg

The action is interesting. It’s push feed with an extractor similar to a Remington 700, only significantly bigger. The ejector is mounted on the bolt stop like a 1903, not plunger style. And the bolt has an unusual bolt guid that runs along the right side. It does not rotate when the bolt locks into battery, so it ends up blocking the opening in the side of the bolt where the extractor is. The action is really smooth but also feels rock solid. Here’s the bolt:

IMG_1812.jpeg

The Warne rings are practical but just look so “wrong“ to my eye on this rifle. Spuhr and Leupold make alternatives. I do wish it came with a rear sight, but I’ve found a really cool aperture sight that mounts on the rear scope ring dovetail.

The rifle has been shot very little. Carried a bit more. I bought it on Cyber Monday so I got 10% off after haggling a little for $50. Then I dumped all of my Cabelas Club pints into it and walked out paying a bit over $500 cash :D

You B@$$*&€! 🤣🤣😁. I am soooo jealous of your find! That is a dream Gun to match my Father’s A-ll in 222 Remington. I have always loved that look and the way his handled. It has also consistently shot 1” groups clean, dirty, whatever Using SMKs.

Reactions: Chipster697
I guess sakocollectors.com just got a new member... 😉

Re price: You did well. 👍

If you put a scope on it the rear sight will be in the way. And you are missing a front sight hood.

Good find!

I guess sakocollectors.com just got a new member... 😉

Re price: You did well. 👍

If you put a scope on it the rear sight will be in the way. And you are missing a front sight hood.

Good find!
Correct on new membership, the rear sight and missing hood.

Just to be clear, my cost was $1,215.00 before I dumped all of my Cabelas points. However, Cabelas doesn’t carry much I want to buy anymore and their approach to used gun pricing typically is “I’m gonna price it so high I just couldn’t make a mistake.” I don’t think the guys in the “Gun Library” 😛 had a clue what this rifle was.

I have a guys number if you want it. No idea if he is still selling old Sako parts but he had a ton of them a couple years ago. In all different kinds of condition. I would try calling him and asking about the sight and hood. Pm me if you want the number. I used him to buy bottom metal l61r a couple years ago.

Reactions: Chipster697