• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako Actions~

cal50

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2009
Ohio
A shooting friends dad recently passed away and he had three (3) Sako virgin actions in his safe. One short and two long actions. I think they are L461 actions.
They have been sitting there for decades yet look brand new which they are.

Are these desirable for builds and does anyone have a clue what a fair value is currently ?
I have tried looking around and really can not find any sold info about them.

They're solid actions though aftermarket support is limited. That's the only crux. I have a sako 85 hunter that i love but it doesn't get used much. Beatiful rifle though and shoots well.

I will say this, a few years ago I sent my TRG 22 to my gunsmith to look over and rebarrel. He decided to true it up before he rebarreled it. He said it was as bad if not worse than some of the Remington 700s he had seen. The gun is an absolute hammer now but it did shoot well before.

They were a high dollar action choice for high accuracy custom builds back in the mid to late '80s.
There used to be high end synthetic stocks available for them too, but I don't know if that is still the case.

The l461 was chambered in 223 length cartridges, where as the l491 was chambered in 222 Remington mag length cartridges. Both would make fine small action builds.

Reactions: sgtsmmiii
Thanks all for the info and they will be nice actions for someone to build on.
I am just trying to give my friend a ballpark idea on what they are worth.

Looks like all the actions are going to a new home.
Thanks guys.

They were actually two L579 actions and one L61a magnum bolt face from the late 70's.
One short action is going to become a 22-250ai with a 7 twist at 28" length. The other two is still undecided.

Thanks
James