• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako AV for Build or Sell It?

03psd

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 27, 2006
Oklahoma
Considering a 300WM build. Have a great condition Sako 75 Deluxe in 7mmRM. Since I am a leftie, M700 LA in LH are little hard to come by should I consider using my Sako for a build? If so, do any reputable smiths use them? I know all prefer 700s. The other option is to sell the Sako and start from square 1.

Your thoughts?

Re: Sako AV for Build or Sell It?

I think the Sako action is great, but question is if you will find smiths who will take on the action. A trued & blued Rem 700 action isn't a bad choice after all, its just a matter of finding a smith who can plaese you for the price tag that suits you..

I couldn't tear down a 75 Deluxe to have it turned into a custom or quasi-tactical. If going the build route, why not start with a Pierce, Surgeon, Remington, Borden or Stiller and have it built to your specs.

Sakos are a fine custom action that I would keep as is. My 75 SS in .260 is my goto hunting rig.

Here is my custom .300 Win Mag built on a Sako 75 action. The build was done by Jered and the boys at American Precision Arms (Patriot Arms). It's a hammer!!!

riflepics005-1.jpg

Very nice rifle Buckey. Damn that's nice!

Are you talking about the AV or the 75?
The AV is a '79 or '80 vintage I think.
I believe the 75 is newer?

I just mounted a Redfield 5 Star on an AV .270 and am really tickled about it. It's a nice contrast to all the synthetic/painted/matte stuff. Nice rifle.

I've also got a Southgate Wby in .300 mag that has a style that is quite opposite of the modern bulkier heavier rifle but I think it is really neat. Really petite and almost sexy. Not fun to take to the range! Ouch.

Dang, I'm starting to sound like a collector or something! Old, new, I like rifles.

I would take the Sako hunting and build something else.

my mistake. Its a AV action Finnbear Deluxe in 7mm RM.

I am leaning towards selling it or justi putting it away and going with a 700 or other custom action for the build.