• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Sako extractor installation.....scale of 1 to 10?

223Rem

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2004
Ocean View
Having issues with my standard Remington extractor, so I thought it would be a good idea to upgrade to a Sako style (this one is Tubb version) extractor.

One a scale from 1 to 10, 10 being the toughest, how difficult is the Sako extractor installation for a trained machinist (he rebuild alternators and transmissions) without gunsmithing experience?

Re: Sako extractor installation.....scale of 1 to 10?

About a 10 if he only does alternators and transmissions. Send it to someone who knows what he is doing.

I have a fixture I built to hold the bolt at the correct orientation for milling, for me it is a fairly easy conversion. If I put a # on it Id say about a 5. I thought this conversion was a great thing but I would hesitate to do it now. If you have researched the conversion and are comfortable with it then by all means proceed. I would not have converted my bolts to this system had I done more research.

i am not a trained machinist in any sense of the word but i have no problem installing sako extractors. i am sure your buddy could accomplish the task easily. i prefer the sako to the remington but i am also considering trying the mini 16 extractor from PTG next. have your buddy look into that one.

chuck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave Tooley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I sweated blood for about the first 20 I did then it got easier. </div></div>

This gave me a good laugh.

Thanks for the replies. I may look into 73 FB's advice a bit more though.

You may want to check your extractor cam timing before swapping extractors.