• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Sako Extractor on a Remington Bolt Question

Marksman

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 4, 2008
Michigan
If I have a Sako extractor installed on a Remington bolt, will that affect headspace? Or would I have to rechamber/rebarrel the action to the new modified bolt?

Just machining and installing a Sako type extractor will not affect headspace.

However, the preferred method is to also cleanup the boltface, which would affect headspace by the amount removed during cleanup.

If I have a Sako extractor installed on a Remington bolt, will that affect headspace? Or would I have to rechamber/rebarrel the action to the new modified bolt?

If your factory extractor works ...keep it, if not I would go with a mini M16 over the Sako
neither will affect headspace!

Unless you have to have a Sako - type extractor (I.e., going form a .473" boltface to a PPC cartridge), no reason to change from the factory rig. Personally, I don't care for the Sako and if you do some googling you will see why. Having said that, men smarter than me like them.

Headspace should not be affected by sako extractor install alone. If you are installing it on a magnum bolt face, the counterbore diameter may need to be opened up though.