• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SAKO L-579 Pre-Garcia ? Pic's Added. Need Info.

PJC7250

Private
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2002
Apollo, Pa.
I picked up a complete Sako L-579 barreled action in the white in .243 Win. The serial number is thre digits: #190. The receiver top isn't tappered. Looks Like Mauser action to me. The barrel appears to be new an dated 08/02/83 and PMK on the underside of barrel. Is this a decent action for a buid if the current barrel turns out to be a dud? Barrel looks like a standard Sako sporter tapper. Also, where can I get a decent wood or synthetic stock? Thanks--Pat.

I've added some pic's. Can anyone give me some history relative this barreled action? Thanks. Pat.
DSC00500-1.jpg

DSC00503-1.jpg

DSC00504.jpg

DSC00505.jpg

DSC00508.jpg

DSC00509-1.jpg

DSC00511.jpg

DSC00509.jpg

DSC00503.jpg

DSC00500.jpg

Re: SAKO L-579 Pre-Garcia ? Pic's Added. Need Info.

I need Sako experts to give me some history relative above Sako action. PAT.

I am not an expert on this but I have owned two pre Garcia Sako's(1 22-250 HB that I will always regret selling, Damn college). I would say that your is not. My reasons are these: #1 It looks like it says imported by Stoeger on the one side of the reciever. Pre Garcia refers to the time before Garcia was the importer. I believe the pre guns were made in the 50-60's. Most of the barrels are stamped BOFORS steel. #2 Every pre Garcia gun I have seen had integral dovetail bases in the reciever. But what you have could still make a darn nice rifle.

I can't comment on the L579 action but i have a SAko A2 action in .308 & it shoots 8 round .75" OD groups @100. I think it could shoot better if it had a better stock/bedding. It is a grendel SRT built with a 20" douglas premium air gauged barrel.

SakoA2.jpg

Hi the Sako action is a great one to build a custom rifle on unfortunately there are not many inleted stocks available. there are some here in Australia.

As for the barrel have a look at a take out Ruger barrel they can be screwed into the action and headspaced as they usualy just need the shoulder machined on the barrel to set the headspace and they will be very accurate.

Re: SAKO L-579 Pre-Garcia ? Pic's Added. Need Info

The L579 actions/barrels are of very good quality. As PD721 said, these rifles were imported by several companies from the late 1950s to the 1980s. There are a bunch of collectors of this type of rifle out there, and the more rare pre-Garcia type specimens fetch big money(they have to be in perfect condition). Having owned and sold 8-10 of these rifles I can tell you that most all shoot extremely well. It would make a decent base for a build, however, I would hesitate to put a lot of money into it as you will likely not see a return on your investment due to the lack of collector value. If it was me, I'd have it coated/parkerized/blued, find a stock for it, and use it for a hunting rifle.

I contacted Beretta today and they were little help. They said they have no records frowrded to them by Stoeger. However, they said my action was interesting but legal to build a pistol ir rifle.

I also contacted Stoeger and they were clueless.

I showed photo of my Sako action to another Law Enforcement friend of mine and ATF and they also said nothing appears to be suspicious about my Sako action and that I could build a pistol or rifle out of my action.

This is very good news.

Now......what to build on this action. I may build a pistol out of this one in .358 Cal??????? Or similar caliber.

Who knows........maybe I'll just sell the darn thing on GunBroker. I Don't know?????????????????????????????????

PAT,

What you have is a standard Sako L-579 Forester action normally built 1959-1972. The version you have is a "round top action", made without the Sako dovetails. Browning (Hi Power), Colt (Coltsman), H&R (Model 300 Ultra), Beretta (Model 500) and a host of other small makers used Sako actions to build their rifles. Many used the Sako "round top action" like you have.

Stoeger as the importer means it is Post Garcia. Stoeger took over importation around 1980, so a barrel date of 1983 makes sense. The action could be a leftover from 1959-1972 period. After 1980 theses actions were called AII's. I sure the crafty Finns used what ever they had, nothing wrong with a left over action. An import mark would not be made until an action was actually imported, not when it was made. The action could have been made in 1959, and sat in Finland collecting dust until sold. The fact that the serial number and import label on the action is below the stock line indicates it was made as a "custom" action not as a regular Sako action. The round top also leads to that conclusion as well.

Nothing unusual about it. McMillan makes stocks for it. Bases could be a problem, as there is not many made for the round top action.

Bob

Looks just like my L61R made in the mid to late 60's.
Bolt shrouds are the same.

Best factory action ever made in my opinion.

You have a real diamond there.

If you ever want to sell let me know.

I like these actions better than any pre-64