• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako M995 (TRG-S) .338LM: poor man's base rifle?

LRANGE50

Private
Minuteman
May 3, 2008
Nebraska
Well guys I found a M995 in .338LM and was wondering if it might be a decent option to consider as an entry rig/build base. From some previous posts it looks like restocking might be an issue. Seems McMillan has figured out the lower metal, so it can be done. Also have a call into McRee's as a possibility. I have the glass, 10X swaro, 5.5X22 NF or a 8.5X25 leupy. I am just trying to figure out if I can keep it under $2500 starting with an ~$800 rifle then adding brake, stock, b-pod, rings, rail etc.

1. Am having a pipe dream?
2. Is the M995 worth the effort?

Regards,

LR50

Re: Sako M995 (TRG-S) .338LM: poor man's base rifle?

FWIW, the term "poor man's base rifle" and 338 LM don't go together. Nothing about the 338 LM is cheap. Even the price for the 250 grains Scenars is going through the roof. Your budget is around $2500. Now, you may able to find a used TRG-42 and spend a little more, give and take. What you get in return, is an assurance that the rifle is accurate. Another option is to go with custom and not spend substantially more.

The last thing you want is dropping all the Ben Franklins into the Sako M995 (which by the way is a fine rifle), and NOT getting what you want.

If it were me, I would save up some more and go with something else, so there won't be any second guess about the ability of the rifle. Another way to look at is all the components and ammo that you shoot to find out that the Sako on steroid is not doing its job? I'm just saying.

I really Like the Sako M995 But you live in the US and you have much better options then customizing Sako action in Europe there is a shortage of options for good magnum actions so the Sako and CZ magnums are among the best options you have for building a 338LM
The trg-s action is identical to the Sako TRG but if you'll start modifying it to sniper rifle it will cost more then buying a new Sako-TRG

Good luck anyway

Base rifle - $800
McMillan A5 - $700
McMillan bottom metal -$120
USO scope base - $130
Bartlein barrel - $300
Gunsmithing - $250
Cerakote - $100
Bolt knob - $100

This brings the build to $2500 so far. Adding the muzzle brake and bipod will push it over your limit slightly.

I'm happy with mine, and it shoots spectacularly, even without any action truing or trigger work. And I don't need to pay for cost prohibitive TRG accessories, even though GAP says the TRG mags will work with some minor modifications.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">My TRG-S build (7mmRM):</span>
Picture008-5.jpg

Picture010-5.jpg

Picture019.jpg

<span style="text-decoration: underline">
My best (5 @ 200m):</span>
Picture003-12.jpg

<span style="text-decoration: underline">GAP's version (338 LM):</span>
104738288.jpg

104737562.jpg

Amazing build the most beautiful I have seen

All good feedback guys. Keep it coming. DesertHK, sage words on the ben's and in retro maybe not the best terms chosen. After shooting a 50 for 3+ years it is relative....right? gol1 good points. Glock42, wow, very nice. I guess I hadn't considered a rebarrel right away. Something else to think about I suppose. I take it you were not happy with the performance of the factory barrel?

This would be my first build, everything in the safe is pretty much stock with some minor tweaks.

And there in lies the dilema, I really can't afford an AI and after looking at the add-on creep of the TRG's I'm thinking I'm damned if I do, damned if I don't. For a new rifle the Desert Tactical SRS would be high on the list as advised by a friend.

I have had too many situations where I have delayed on purchase only to see someone else jump. I am beginning to think just having an $800 338LM "action/rifle" may not be a bad thing. Maybe brake it, see how it shoots and go from there?

Regards,

LR50

If you don't want to miss it go ahead and buy it I Looked for one for over 6 month in Europe and could not find one I believe that you can sell it any time for that price in Europe it would cost over 1000EUR

My factory barrel was about 0.75 MOA, but the light sporter contour didn't take the heat very well. The rifle had served me well as a hunting rig, but I wanted to build a tactical rifle so I overhauled the action after seeing GAP's build.

Something else to consider, the original TRG-S stocks were quite fragile. I say this because when I put mine up for sale, it went for $300! I guess a lot of guys are always looking for replacement stocks.

I believe I will gol1. Thanks, Glock24, good to know. I guess the 1:12 issue of the TRG-S would be moot as well with a new barrel. If you don't mind me asking, who did your overhaul?

Time to make a phone call.......

I had a bit of trouble finding a 'smith who would turn metric threads.

GAP will do it of course, but I actually had Bartlein do my overhaul, as they were already making my barrel.

Shop around, just make sure you're clear about the metric thread requirement.

Lrange50

Here is the solution for your situation. GAP built 338 LM with reloading dies and access. for $3200, a little more than you plan to spend, but you get GAP reputation and the accessories. Just a thought. BTW, I have no idea who the seller is. Just trying to point you to the right direction that's all. I am extremely happy with my 338 LM

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1143278&gonew=1#UNREAD

The great thing about the TRG-S is it will take the TRG42 trigger and magazines.

I am looking at a TRG-S that is wearing a TRG42 factory barrel. Took just a bit of opening up the factory stock to float the barrel. Not like there is .25" clearance all around but there is enough. The 42 magazines need only a release notch milled up front to function. The trigger is exactly the same, aside from the inside guard lever and the housing.

If you want a 6.5lb Palma profile barrel, get ready to spend the bucks. If you're fine with a #5 light varmint profile especially one that is fluted, TRG-S will work.

The best scope mount for the TRG-S is made by Near Manufacturing in Canada. Unlike USO, Near machines the dovetail slots perfectly and gives 6 holes for securing the base to the receiver. Might be a bit short if you go with a long-body scope design. The Sako Low 30mm optilok is also a good choice, as it is a 1pc unit and enables up to 55mm objectives.

The TRG system is the finest factory action for a switchbarrel gun.

I would buy a TRG42 and order a custom barrel.

As you are stoked on the .338LM, you might consider the .338 Norma. Very likely you could purchase a TRG22, plus a TRG42 13.5mm bolt body from Beretta USA, plus a Lapua Mag 42 magazine. Pac-Nor built me a fine .338win barrel in full Palma contour, threaded and short chambered for about $400. Order a .338 Norma barrel which is a short action ctg and have the ultimate accuracy switch barrel gun!

No other rifle has the versatility or factory accessory line as the Sako TRG22/42.

I looked at McMillan stocks and there is only one they do for the S. Tom Manners was going to produce one, but who knows?

Think of the TRG 22/42 as a superb building block for all your shooting needs. No one does it better. No one gives you more options. With custom barrels, interchangeable kit components and everything else; there simply is no finer rifle system in the world.

I am not trying to discourage you by any means, so with that said. I had a TRG-S and liked most everything about it except: It seemed like everything I did to it was more expensive than it should have been, and I do mean everything. First thing you have to do is rebarrel it. Stock barrel is no good for more than three shots a day (slight exaggeration-but it gets hot in a hurry). The optical stuff alone will drive you daffy, but there is stuff out there now that maybe wasn't when I had mine. Stock is not that bad, trigger is workable, and it is a really nice action. If you are sure you are going with 338LM, there are better alternatives. Try to catch one of the Remingtons, even though they are a bit rare.

Thanks DesertHK, Swamper and Guido. The QB has called a time out. I am getting the obvious sense the barrel is the key here. $800 for a $2500 - 3K project may indeed be the wrong strategy.

I am in fact committed to the 338LM though. You guys are helping a lot. If I can "steal" the rifle/action, them maybe, otherwise I believe I will ponder...Cripes it sucks being a noob.

Regards,

LR50

Yes, this an old thread, I have been reading as much of the old information I can find here,
and in any other forum I can find this information.

If I should generate a new post, please let me know.

I too have a Sako M995 TRG-S in .338LM.
Mine is a lightweight hunter version, ~ 7lbs, definately not more.
It is very harsh to shoot, even with heavy strap on recoil pads, etc.
As such, it hasn't been shot much.
Is there anyone still building on this rifle base?
All the past info on products and services seem no longer available.
Or should I simply go for an altogether new system?

Always wanted a TRG-42...

Thank you for your time.

Thank you for this information!
BTW, nice rifle!
Did you do this work yourself, or have someone to perform this?

Thank you for this information!
BTW, nice rifle!
Did you do this work yourself, or have someone to perform this?
I did it myself. The tricky part is that the TRG uses the trigger housing for keeping the magazine in place. I 3d-printed one but if you have access to a late one in aluminium would be much nicer and sturdier.

You also have to modify the trigger or the TRG rail to make room for the safety. You don't have to remove much and it's all but invisible.

Getting a W3 for a TRG-S/M995 is the easiest option since a trigger housing is included if you buy the correct kit.

Reactions: buggz
Just got my KRG Wiskey 3 gen 6 kit installed on my .338LM Sako M995 TRG-S.
Pretty cool.
No mag comes with the kit.
Now to get a mag.

Reactions: CerebralDistortion
Just got my KRG Wiskey 3 gen 6 kit installed on my .338LM Sako M995 TRG-S.
Pretty cool.
No mag comes with the kit.
Now to get a mag.

Has anyone done a rebarrel on a Sako M995 TRG-S?

Now with my chassis kit, I am wanting a heavier barrel, instead of this skinny hunting barrel.
And possibly a new twist is required to shoot the heavier 300 grainers, instead of the 250s?

Now with my chassis kit, I am wanting a heavier barrel, instead of this skinny hunting barrel.
And possibly a new twist is required to shoot the heavier 300 grainers, instead of the 250s?
This is a shooting buddy’s 995 in 338 lapua.
30” krieger I believe
A6D9CB46-9582-428A-AB63-59B60D70DC84.jpeg

Reactions: buggz and M77

Yes. Krieger 1:8 280AI Rem Heavy Varmint.

Attachments

• 20210327_125240.jpg
    20210327_125240.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 52
Reactions: buggz
Those rebarrels are super cool.
Thanks for sharing.

What ‘smith was used for the swap?
Or, is it possible to perform this on your own?

Those rebarrels are super cool.
Thanks for sharing.

What ‘smith was used for the swap?
Or, is it possible to perform this on your own?
Any decent Smith can do it.
I have a lathe at work so now I’m doing my own barrels.
I’d have to get an accessory gear set to do metric threads like what’s on an AI or Tikka.

Last edited:
Thanks, I’m hoping to find a local ‘smith in Georgia.

I am actually now excited for this rifle outcome.

Woowho!
I found out about American Precision Arms today.
They are not far from me, and in state.
Of course I sent email, probably will call them.

This is starting to look like it will be a postive development.
Yes!