• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako Quad .22 Trainer…with IOR’s new 2.5-10 milFFP

flyfishdave

Private
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2007
Bucks County, PA
<span style="font-weight: bold">Another Sako Quad .22 Trainer build…with IOR’s new 2.5-10 mil/mil FFP</span>

Specs:

Sako Quad Action, courtesy of gunbroker
Lilja barrel, 20”, Eley EPS Match, sprayed with alumahyde
Manners MCS-T4, 5-color flectarn by .30calsniper (aka Todd Jackson)
Rimfire Technolgies bottom metal
Terry Cross bolt handle
Trigger job, by Larry Gish
US Optics base
IOR 2.5-10 x 42mm, mil/mil, FFP, illuminated (thanks Scott!)
Seekins low rings

***TOUGHEST part of the build was drilling and tapping the receiver for the base – nothing like drilling and tapping a mandible for implants

Everything was an easy drop in fit. Action screws torqued to 35 ft/lbs. Rings lightly lapped. With Eley Match in hand, off to the range, quick bore sight, and about 5 shots to zero the optic. All at 50 yards.

quad1-vi.jpg

quad2-vi.jpg

quad3-vi.jpg

quad4-vi.jpg

Aside from the cost of the Eley Match ammo, it definitely shot well in the Lilja as expected. Only had a 5 round magazine available, which had some failures to feed on the first round if all 5 were loaded. After seeing several bullets get dinged up trying to feed ($$$), decided to load only 4 at a time.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">This target is a 5 shot group, probably one of the better ones. About 0.4” center to center:</span></span>

sakoA-vi.jpg

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">And another…didn’t measure it: :</span></span>

quad5-vi.jpg

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">This next one is a 36 shot group – didn’t want to push it any more as my eyes were getting weary. About 0.9” group center to center: :</span></span>

sakoB-vi.jpg

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">A really quick box test: :</span></span>

sakoC-vi.jpg

Regarding the IOR optic, glass is very sharp and clear! Excellent glass for the pricepoint – have three S&B’s for comparison. Depending on the turret setting, the hash marks may be just a hair off the index mark. I get annoyed when my minute and second hands don’t line up EXACTLY on my watches at every minute/second mark. Also did a quick box test and the results seem to indicate consistency & repeatability with the turret adjustments. There’s one flyer circled, where I mis-dialed the elevation. The lack of a parallax adjustment doesn’t seem too much of an issue – just had to work the eyes more to ‘focus’ on both the reticle and target in an alternating fashion to insure alignment, and the grey background of the target didn’t help either.

An early Christmas indeed!

Dave.

Re: Sako Quad .22 Trainer…with IOR’s new 2.5-10 milFFP

Very Cool!!

the mags are my only disappointment with the quad.you can shoot similar groups at 100.these things shoot.

That thing is a beauty, I am looking to build(i should say pay to have some one build me) one this spring. One good looking peice of hardware

The magazine was definitely a frustration when loaded to full capacity. From what I could see, that first round of five sits at a flatter angle than the next four by a few degrees and therefore just misses hitting dead center into the chamber, dinging the nose severely.

I found that in some instances, applying upwards pressure on the TOE of the magazine when chambering the first round would allow the bullet to chamber properly. I gave up after a few magazines and kept to four rounds w/o issue.

Dave.

Very nice. I will always regret selling mine. Again, Very nice.

My gosh, I've never seen a rimfire like that. Outstanding build, Dave! Thanks for the order of the IOR scope. That scope is very promising in becoming a real "bread and butter" for IOR. Love the reticle.

"***TOUGHEST part of the build was drilling and tapping the receiver for the base – nothing like drilling and tapping a mandible for implants"

That's pretty funny!

Great shooting!

Scott

Find a couple 10-round mags and you can load them to 7 or 8. Same problem as the 5 rounders.

That is a beautiful piece of work, congrats on the built!! What size groups does it shoot out to 100yds?

the ten(7/8)rounders are worth having just for the added length to make mag changes faster.

Thanks for sharing your new rifle build with us Dave. I love it. As usual, your rigs are always top notch! I might have to spring for that scope as well.

Brad