• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako Quad, Lija barrel, and FTE's

stexag

Private
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2008
N. Occupied Mexico (S. Tex)
Okay, got the rifle all ready to go and shot a little Wolf and some Winchester Target with a fair amount of FTE on both. I've read on here enough to know that this is common with most ammo but my question is will it get better with time? This looks like it would get old fast.

Re: Sako Quad, Lija barrel, and FTE's

stexag,

I had some issues with the win. target with regards to FTE. I removed my extractor and discovered a very fine bur that was causing the extractor to just miss the rim on occasion. The bur was right on the edge of the chamber in the extractor groove. It was so small that I could barely see it with 20/20 vision. I cleaned the area up, buffed it with a Dremel tool and a soft buffing tip, and I have not had an issue since. I'm shooting wolf and SK now and absolutely no FTE or FTF's in 600 rounds.

I hope this helps.

STS

If that Lilja barrel has a tight match chamber you could experience FTE's. Does the bolt close easily or can you feel the bullet being pushed into the chamber?

I have polished the chamber up with emery cloth on a dremel attachment. That fixed the issues for me.

Thanks for the replies - I know I need to try some different ammo; this was just what I had on hand and I wasn't sure if was that sensitive to ammo or if I needed to look elsewhere. Maybe it's some of both. The chamber is tight, the last 1/8" or so to close the bolt can be pretty tight in fact.

Of course the first rounds I picked up were Velocitor which wouldn't even chamber. One Google search confirmed they are a no-no in the Lija 10/22 bbls. I guess they use a similar reamer in this barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If that Lilja barrel has a tight match chamber you could experience FTE's. Does the bolt close easily or can you feel the bullet being pushed into the chamber? </div></div>

FTE are we talking about fired or unfired rounds.

I have had absolutely zero FTE's on fired rounds; Wolf MT, SK High Velocity.

I cannot get ANY of my Eley EPS to feed. It's comical to me, considering that's what the barrel was designed for. The ammo basically lodges against the chamber and the bullet is deformed if any force is applied. I suppose this is a result of the soft lead.

I forget who posted on the SK high velocity...but i'm loving that stuff! It shoots about .3 mil higher than Wolf MT at 50m, and groups much better in wind
laugh.gif
(not that it wouldn't be expected to).

My Quad has had issues ejecting unfired rounds (WMT and 711B). Yes, it's VERY FRUSTRATING! My rifle is currently at the gunsmith.

Well, all of my FTE have been fired rounds. Come to think of it, I haven't tried an unfired round. I guess when I put it in the pipe I send it.. I will experiment.

I did today give the ejector and the ejector notch in the chamber a closer look and did not see any obstruction. It does however look like my ejector engages the casing by the SLIGHTEST of margins.

I found that it really has the way to do with the way you install the barrel. You can install the barrel so that its too tight. I actually install mine using a new snap cap. Pushing the barrel on too tightly makes it hard to seat rounds and causes ejection issues.