• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako quad questions....

polytech

Private
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2008
So a little background, I purchased a savage mk2 as a trainer and I've been shooting it at 100m frequently, but it still does not feel like a full sized rifle stocks too small bolt is rough and the trigger is just okay. SO I've begun searching for something that will behave more like a centerfire. Which has led me to the sako and a couple of others like anschutz but they are quickly exceeding my budget. So off to gunbroker I go......only to find some "cheap" quad's in 17mach2, but I don't really have any interest in the 17mach2. So how difficult would it be to rechamber the mach2 barrel to 17hmr?
Are the magazines the same for the magnum and the standard rimfires, or are there two types of mags?
Are there any barrel shops that can make a barrel without sending in the rifle, and can I swap the barrels out easily withou too much trouble? And the last question, all of the 17mach2's seem to be listed by the same shop, anybody purchase from them?

Polytech

Re: Sako quad questions....

Quads are very nice rimfires but they do not feel like a center fire they are very light and petite. There are 2 diffrent mags for the standard and magnum rounds, and you can get an amazing barrel from Lilja and install it in under a minute.

unless they are out of them, Whittaker Guns had them for $449 as of last week (Sako Quad's).

Well the plan would be to get a manners stock made for it (I'm in KC and already have one on my .308) I suppose a better question would have been, Does the action feel like a full size action? Nice and smooth, positive feel to the bolt? My savage just feels like a toy gun, and the bolt is real rough even with 1200 rounds through it.

I just want to make sure I have this all thought through and planned out, the world of a .22 the same $$$ as a centerfire is a whole new world to me.

How's the safety on these? Is it the same as most american designs or is it backwards like a cz?

Just bought one of the 17 mach2's from GB, Lilja barrel is on the way and I have a Mcmillan A5 on order. Have the Sako already bolt is smooth, and the bolt knob can be modified fairly easily. Safety operates like a rem 700.

PT,
If you want big gun feel get one of the remington 504s and slap a lilja barrel on it. They are essentially the same size and dimensions as a fullsize rem700. www.gzanders.com has them in stock but you will need to find a local dealer that uses zanders as a distributor.
isaac
P.S. I got mine for 429 and you can modify the rem597 10-rd mags to work on them.

Well I "bit the bullet" and snagged one from gunbroker, now the wait begins.....

I just picked up another 4 barrel set for a smoking deal on GB. Every once in awhile there is an amazingly good deal, but it seems few and far between lately

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dtask</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just picked up another 4 barrel set for a smoking deal on GB. Every once in awhile there is an amazingly good deal, but it seems few and far between lately</div></div>

so would you have an extra .22mag or 17hmr barrel around for cheap
laugh.gif

I am going to pick my rifle up from my dealer tonight!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Polytech</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dtask</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just picked up another 4 barrel set for a smoking deal on GB. Every once in awhile there is an amazingly good deal, but it seems few and far between lately</div></div>

so would you have an extra .22mag or 17hmr barrel around for cheap
laugh.gif

I am going to pick my rifle up from my dealer tonight! </div></div>

I may have, depends on what my uncle takes off my hands, but I think that he actually has the either the .22mag or the .17HMR....I'll have to see.