• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SAKO Quad vs Tikka T1X - Bolt Handle Attachment / Size

Easa

Private
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2020
Slovakia, EU
Hello guys,

Few weeks ago i have purchased my long-wanted rimfire, Sako Quad Range in .22LR. Speaking of ergonomics, the rifle seems to be perfect spot on for me, i just strongly dislike the original bolt handle and knob. It´s just too short and too small, so I decided to swap it out with something a little more comfortable. The DIP handle should be ideal thing for me:

As the DIP SAKO Quad Bolt handle is out of stock at the moment, i´ve spent days on google trying to find a bolt handle and knob that will suit my rifle. And I managed to find this:

Now, speaking of my problem. Can anybody tell me, is the attachment of bolt handle on my Sako identical to Tikka´s T1X ? I have found many sellers that offer bolt handles compatible with both rifles, but those handles ends just with a thread, that screws into bolt directly (just like the DIP handle). The original bolt handle is secured to bolt with an allen screw that passes through the handle and into the bolt. This handle seems to be held in place just like the original. But as far as I know, the Tikka T1X has a straight bolt handle, Quad has angled one.

Will it fit?

The DIP handle is a plain threaded end - it'll screw into the Quad OR the T1x (Both use an M5 thread).
If a T1x handle is made PROPERLY, it'll actually use angles to interface with the bolt body to stop it from rotating, and will look nicer too.
So unfortunately you won't be able to use a T1x handle that has those angles on your Sako Quad. Unless you file/machine/grind the angles off.
The Sako Quad is meant to use a Flat Slot to stop the handle from rotating - but again, some options on the market don't have the anti-rotation slot because it's easier to just turn a thread on the end of a handle (cheaper/easier to produce).
The Quad bolt thread has been put on an angle, but for a straight handle like you're showing - it's not going to really matter.
(Rifle shown is a Quad - you can see the handle angles back at the bolt body - The T1x is straight / 90deg from the bolt body)
quad vs t1x.JPG
DW Quad 1.jpg

Thanks for answering my question :) So, now when T1X Handle is out of the list, i found something interesting. As I see, T1X has a bolt handle mounted straight face to bolt, whereas on the Quad, it is mounted under a few degrees angle. After some research, SAKO A7 seems to have identical bolt angle to Quad:

http://lumleyarms.us/index.php?route...&product_id=78

http://lumleyarms.us/index.php?route...&product_id=56

It seems to me like this could be compatible. That Aussie shop also has one:

https://highvelocityhuntingaustralia...handle-rifled/

The only thing i find missing on A7 is the flat slot that Quad has. So...might be worth a try? (I must confess, i just really like the shape of that rifled knob)

Thanks for answering my question :) So, now when T1X Handle is out of the list, i found something interesting. As I see, T1X has a bolt handle mounted straight face to bolt, whereas on the Quad, it is mounted under a few degrees angle. After some research, SAKO A7 seems to have identical bolt angle to Quad:

http://lumleyarms.us/index.php?route...&product_id=78

http://lumleyarms.us/index.php?route...&product_id=56

It seems to me like this could be compatible. That Aussie shop also has one:

https://highvelocityhuntingaustralia...handle-rifled/

The only thing i find missing on A7 is the flat slot that Quad has. So...might be worth a try? (I must confess, i just really like the shape of that rifled knob)

I bought the Lumley Arms one and it doesn't work. They run out the carbon fiber knob and the aluminum knob doesn't fit with the handle they sell.
I'd say just buy one from Sterk (the guy replied you #2), good communication and willing to answer any questions. I just ordered one from him.

You bought the Lumley Arms one meant for Sako Quad right? Well, I do not want that model, that was just for illustration of similarities between A7 and Quad. I would like to fit in this one:

But I need to find out if it will actually work, cause i have no idea. Other than that, I´ll probably have to look elsewhere. Sterk´s handles looks very solid, but I like that shape more.

You bought the Lumley Arms one meant for Sako Quad right? Well, I do not want that model, that was just for illustration of similarities between A7 and Quad. I would like to fit in this one:

But I need to find out if it will actually work, cause i have no idea. Other than that, I´ll probably have to look elsewhere. Sterk´s handles looks very solid, but I like that shape more.

Maybe you could just buy a handle from Lumley and get the knob somewhere else. Have no idea whether the A7 handle could work or not. Seems it should work since the thread is the same.

The DIP handle is a plain threaded end - it'll screw into the Quad OR the T1x (Both use an M5 thread).
If a T1x handle is made PROPERLY, it'll actually use angles to interface with the bolt body to stop it from rotating, and will look nicer too.
So unfortunately you won't be able to use a T1x handle that has those angles on your Sako Quad. Unless you file/machine/grind the angles off.
The Sako Quad is meant to use a Flat Slot to stop the handle from rotating - but again, some options on the market don't have the anti-rotation slot because it's easier to just turn a thread on the end of a handle (cheaper/easier to produce).
The Quad bolt thread has been put on an angle, but for a straight handle like you're showing - it's not going to really matter.
(Rifle shown is a Quad - you can see the handle angles back at the bolt body - The T1x is straight / 90deg from the bolt body)
View attachment 7268854View attachment 7268855
Is that bolt handle on the Quad made for it or did you modify a T1x to work?

Is that bolt handle on the Quad made for it or did you modify a T1x to work?
I made a sako quad version because I couldn't use the T1x version on the quad. It uses the slot in the bolt to stop it from rotating which is important when the handle isn't just a straight design. The quad doesnt seem as popular these days with a lot of other new options around

I made a sako quad version because I couldn't use the T1x version on the quad. It uses the slot in the bolt to stop it from rotating which is important when the handle isn't just a straight design. The quad doesnt seem as popular these days with a lot of other new options around
I wish I had known that a few days ago and I would have gotten one from you.

Reactions: cannoncrossfire
Was the angle of handle mouting that is present on Quad Bolt a problem for you?
The angle isn't a huge deal to be honest, it's that a straight threaded handle will not care at what position it's tightened on, but a bent handle needs to be orientated in the correct position which is almost like threading and timing a muzzlebrake so its horizontal. So for the bent handle other attachment methods/ideas were employed.

Easa,

You'd probably be better off getting a design like mine. Like Cannon mentioned, doesn't matter where mine tightens down at, it's always going to be the same, look the same. The bolt handle is really the only thing that needs upgrading from a ergonomical standpoint. I think it looks better too.
IMG_20200308_135049.jpg
IMG_20200308_135321.jpg

Sorry mate, only really posted it on Facebook, but there aren't a lot of quad owners that seem to want to change or upgrade their rifle.

IMO there are some folks who want to upgrade their Sako but cannot find any information about it... I searched for quite a while trying to find the aluminum bolt shroud and magazine release for my Quad, but seems nobody makes them.

IMO there are some folks who want to upgrade their Sako but cannot find any information about it... I searched for quite a while trying to find the aluminum bolt shroud and magazine release for my Quad, but seems nobody makes them.
Yeah there isn't a shroud for the quad available from what I've seen. I've been caught before making parts that only 3 people want, and then sitting on the rest for years after... I made some quad swept ball handles and even those aren't moving really - so not likely to keep making them.
The Tikka T1x is still new and fresh with the aftermarket providing new stocks/chassis as well as mounts and all sorts of upgrades. Not even sure if new Quads are being made still.

Yeah there isn't a shroud for the quad available from what I've seen. I've been caught before making parts that only 3 people want, and then sitting on the rest for years after... I made some quad swept ball handles and even those aren't moving really - so not likely to keep making them.
The Tikka T1x is still new and fresh with the aftermarket providing new stocks/chassis as well as mounts and all sorts of upgrades. Not even sure if new Quads are being made still.

Maybe you could just post here or somewhere to count how many folks are interested in...IMO one of the reasons is that nobody here in the States knows you could make it, like Kisssofdeath. I subscribed TFB TV and only got some information there

Yeah, and I'd be on board for an extended mag release. The Sako Finnfire Range is much easier to reach. I'm thinking about trying to modify a CZ mag release since I have two spares. If it doesn't work I'm not losing anything.

I'd have to agree with the others, I like my Quad's but it does seem very difficult to find much for them anymore...

They come up in conversation in the Rimfire Tactical Facebook group from time to time. They're a solid platform, but certainly don't get the amount of press that a lot of newer models do...

I would be in on a group buy if I hadn't already bought the T1x knob from High Velocity Hunting. The DIP knob on my Quad used to be on the T1x. I still believe Sterk makes the best bolt handle. I just like to try different things. Then again, I might get in on a group buy.

I would be in on a group buy if I hadn't already bought the T1x knob from High Velocity Hunting. The DIP knob on my Quad used to be on the T1x. I still believe Sterk makes the best bolt handle. I just like to try different things. Then again, I might get in on a group buy.

I'm always in for quad aluminum bolt shroud and extended magazine release (or even the full billet magazine assembly). Wish Sterk could post a group buy here.

I'm always in for quad aluminum bolt shroud and extended magazine release (or even the full billet magazine assembly). Wish Sterk could post a group buy here.
Because I'm not a site sponsor I don't want to piss anyone off, I can ask Frank to see.
Buy sponsorship? I'm a one man show, and it's not fulltime gig, so don't have the same abilities as businesses/shops do. Sponsorship would be well worth the money, but it costs a bit, and rightfully so.

Reactions: Gallente
I have DIP bolt and I like it. No doubt it is an improvement over the factory rimfirish knob.

But Sterk's work is outstanding and if there is an opportunity to get stuff made by him I am interested.

What can I say, I like to upgrade my dearest toy!

Cmon guys. Like seriously, how many of you active posters do shoot Quad? I am here for like a week, so I dont really know, but i bet it will be over 10. Also, there are plenty of Quad shooters on RimfireCentral (I dont know if its allowed here to promote other forum, pardon me if not). Let´s make a group order so it will be profitable for Sterk. I dont know about handles, but i think that we call all agree on custom bolt shroud.

Anything else, count me in.

Thanks, gang ...

For all the intel. I myself shoot with a sako quad and you have made a lot of stuff clear for me. I love my gun but have noticed there are not so much spare parts floating around, therefore this forum is super important.

Thanks.

I’m a quad shooter And I’d love to upgrade the bolt handle so will the dip handle work?
Yes it will, had it for a while. Changed it to a sterk model. Just send him an email and he'll sort you out. The sterk model is a swept ball design, which was going to be the same as my other (at the time still to come) rifle. So I practiced with my sake to upgrade to the big league (SSG 08 by steyr). Anyway, the sterk stepped ball design is, I believe, 90 dollars Australian, or something in that area, and a perfect piece of engineered steel. Fits perfect, has an excellent feel and brought my shooting fun to a higher standard. I also replaced the trigger guard with an aluminum one, and got me the trigger shoe, all very good upgrades which should be standard on a rifle this expensive.

FYI: R&S Precision Sports (1022racerifle.com) has those DIP Tactical Bolt Handles in stock for the Quad, Finnfire II, and the Tikka 1X.

That trigger shoe is also a nifty addition, and, for men (or women) with decent sized hands, the perfect addition