• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Sako quandry

aqualung

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 9, 2008
Co. Durham, North of England
Hi Guys,

I am having a .260Rem built on a Sako 591 action.

Talking to my Smith, all the metal work should be done in the next couple weeks.

However, I intend to fit the barreled action to the stock myself, doing the bedding work myself saves a considerable ammount of money. (My Smith hates doing bedding work, so charges a lot for doing it!).

THIS is my quandry...

How easy/difficult would it be to make it a DBM system? Can I have the stock inlet for say, Badger, bottom metal and then just drop the action in, or is there machining/a shed load of fitting to be done to make the system work? I intend to drop the barreled action into a McMillan A3 sporter stock, and need to know which bottom metal to have the stock inlet for.

Because of the action, stock options are a little limited. (Yes, I know I probably should have gone for a Remington or clone, but the Sako was available, and at the right price!).

So, DBM... Easily doable or not? Which stock inlet do I ask for, Badger etc DBM, OR factory bottom metal?

Thanks Guys.

Neil

Nobody ever responds to me either when I ask Sako related questions. I think for this one though you might want to ask McMillan directly assuming you're getting the stock from them.

Hi,

Thanks for the lonely reply.

Where is the love for Sako?????

Yep, I'll give McMillan a call. Couple of guys here in the UK I can ask, not least of which is my Smith.

Lots of love for Sako here, anytime you feel unloved....

Neil

I do not know about the 591 but howa 1500 long action bottom metal fits my 691 action perfect, the howa sa may fit your 591.

Hi Powerline,

Thanks for that. I have the bottom metal from the Sako, and the bottom metal from my Howa lying around the house. I also have a couple of Rem 700 DBM bottom metal bits lying around.

I just wonder how difficult it would be to make the Sako a DBM system...

On the 691 a ptg was almost a drop in with a little cleaning up of the factory inlet.
I also have the cdi bottom metal and with that I had to open up the factory inlet quit a bit. But this is all on the long action I hope you have the same luck with the short.

Nothing to do with Sako. You have 2 options for the DBM system. Do it yourself or have your prefered smith do it with their mill. Use the search here for others who have done it themselves. Some look quite good. Some not so. Depends on your capability.