• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SAKO S 20 .308

berserk.tango

Private
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2023
Tashkent
Hello!
I recently purchased a Sako S 20 rifle in .308. barrel with a diameter of 18 mm with longitudinal grooves. I bought the rifle mainly for hunting, but sometimes I wanted to take part in competitions. when shooting at 100 meters, its characteristic behavior is such that 5-7 shots form the main, rather “tight” group of holes (0.4-0.6 MOA), and then “breakaways” of 3-4 shots begin. then everything is corrected again after 5-6 shots.
I have a question for the respected community: this behavior is typical for “thin” trunks. and is there a way to overcome this situation? Or is this rifle simply not designed for competition? This is my first rifle of this type.

1) How many rounds are you firing per group?
2) How much time are you waiting between groups?
It’s my understanding that for many years people blamed pencil barrels for groups opening up as they got hot. Now people are saying there is no proof that’s what the cause is. More than likely, with a lightweight rifle your group opens up because the rifle moves from the recoil after each shot. Your position behind the rifle before the first round is significantly different than your position behind the rifle after the 5th shot.

My s20 hammers. Shoots as good as my customs. Barrel is definitely hot if i shoot 10 rounds in a row but i haven't noticed any opening up.

Thank you for your opinions. Yes, I will definitely have better control of my posture when shooting. I usually shoot series of 5 shots, but without a break. usually this is 10-15 shots.