• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako S20 280ai build

JLuna575

Private
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2017
Sup guys,

I am interested in building a 280AI on the Sako S20 long action platform to use the 180 ELDM bullet with the generous mag length (3.60 OAL). The magazines for the S20 appear to be double stack and I'm wondering how well a 280AI cartridge will feed.

I currently have a Tikka T3 280 AI build that runs well using the 162 ELDM but I am limited to an OAL of 3.37 using the factory mag.

Any reason to avoid this platform for my goals? Thanks!

Ill say my 6.5cm mags dont feed very well. I have 4 and all have the same issue. The springs are weak and not well designed. Its a shame because its a damn nice gun and a real shooter other than that.

Reactions: JLuna575
I would be really interested to hear how you make out with this project. I’m a huge 30-06 fan and I’m in the middle of a custom build but I was also intrigued by the S20 mags, just the fact that you can get double stack 10 rounders that have generous room.

I can’t see any reason why it wouldn’t work. Just be aware that the S20 receiver has metric threads and I’m pretty sure it’s the same thread as the TRG action.

Ill say my 6.5cm mags dont feed very well. I have 4 and all have the same issue. The springs are weak and not well designed. Its a shame because its a damn nice gun and a real shooter other than that.
I’ve read a few reports/ watched a few videos of troubles with the short action mags, but the long action cartridges don’t seem to share the same issue.

I would be really interested to hear how you make out with this project. I’m a huge 30-06 fan and I’m in the middle of a custom build but I was also intrigued by the S20 mags, just the fact that you can get double stack 10 rounders that have generous room.

I can’t see any reason why it wouldn’t work. Just be aware that the S20 receiver has metric threads and I’m pretty sure it’s the same thread as the TRG action.
I'd have to check with my gunsmith if he can thread a bartlein barrel for it. I'm assuming the tikka uses a different type of thread?

Thanks for the heads up. My tikka 280 AI feeds smoother than any of my short action tikkas. The 40 degree shoulder angle of the 280AI does not help the feeding situation.

Reactions: bangbangpew
I had the same issue with my S20 in 6.5 creedmoor. I put two mag springs in mine and filed the feed lips a little bit. Feeds 100% now.

Thanks for the heads up. My tikka 280 AI feeds smoother than any of my short action tikkas. The 40 degree shoulder angle of the 280AI does not help the feeding situation.
It will feed fine if the round in the mag pops up the way its supposed to. The mags are just cheaply made.

Would something like this help https://www.redsnake-tactical.com/

I bought an aftermarket bottom metal for my Tikka T3 off the classifieds here (do not remember brand) that lets me use AICS 300 Win Mag magazines in Tikka factory stock.
I've read that the receiver length of the T3 does not allow for longer than 3.4 ish OAL.
The 162s run great for me at 3.36.

The 180s are pretty long and it would be nice to load them to about 3.55 OAL

I’ve read a few reports/ watched a few videos of troubles with the short action mags, but the long action cartridges don’t seem to share the same issue.
Sadly not true, my 300wm has this issue. Rear of the cartridges don't get pushed up consistently and the bolt rides over them.

For the price they are now ($1000) the features are unbeatable. For that price I don't mind tuning/modifying a mag. The magazine problem is fixable, mine is still feeding reliably. The rifle should just feed out of the box though, hopefully Sako fixes the issue.

It sounds like Sako has fixed it, or at least has a fix for the mag issue. Some have reported that when they've called and complained to Sako they replaced their magazines with what I assume is an updated version.

At $1000 it's worth the risk I suppose, esp. if it's just the mag issue because there are fixes for that. If you get one that doesn't shoot it's more problematic, because there are so many places blowing them out right now that used value is pretty horrendous and Beretta is horrible to deal with as a proxy. Even though my 300 was a lemon I've been tempted to try another one at that price and buy another barrel lottery ticket, but I think I'll just go to a Seekins, it's not much more $ and they seem to be very consistent accuracy wise. Solus is another option, you can get the action for around $750, even a nice prefit is say $700, that leaves plenty left over for a nice stock to stay under $2k.

I don't think the S20 did well in the states, Bass/Cabelas I know dropped the Sako line completely in the US. It's too heavy to be a competitive hunting rifle, scope mount options are not flexible, the stock is very slick/noisy/plastic/cheap feeling (even if it's not weak etc.), and many of the options for competition shooting (heavy barrel, 2 stage trigger) have never been offered in the US. The mags are a weak point obviously, they don't seem very well designed/executed/finished. It seems like Sako in general is struggling with hunting offerings. I think a lot of the big box/name companies are struggling. They can't be price competitive, with places like Seekins etc. offering really good shooting rigs for under $2k, who wants a browning, sako, etc. at over $2k? The only thing they really have going for them is volume and being in every storefront.

It does have a nice feeling bolt, nice machining, a very good single stage trigger. If they had a switch barrel setup, a solid feeling/textured stock offering, a 2 stage trigger etc. it could really be a winner. However we're also the 1-5% of shooters that likely can shoot descent in the first place and really don't matter to most manufacturers. Most from what I see at the range, can't push a 1MOA rifle to it's limits anyway, most of the hunters etc. I see show up that are most range are more than happy if they shoot 2-3" groups. 90% of the guys buying hunting rifles will never push their accuracy limits, so even if they produce some percentage of guns that are not up to a 1MOA guarantee they will get very few of them returned.

Sako clearly is cutting LOTS of corners on the s20. Lets look at pricing, you can look at something like the 90 Adventure, fiberglass stock but not full carbon (just some reinforcements evidently, nothing super special here, 7.5-8lbs for a 300 Win mag, but price tag $2700. Considering the S20 MSRP was only $1600 originally.....that's a lot of corner cutting. Even the new version of the S20 is like $1800. that's still almost $1000 less for basically the "same" feature set.

Last edited:
Sup guys,

I am interested in building a 280AI on the Sako S20 long action platform to use the 180 ELDM bullet with the generous mag length (3.60 OAL). The magazines for the S20 appear to be double stack and I'm wondering how well a 280AI cartridge will feed.

I currently have a Tikka T3 280 AI build that runs well using the 162 ELDM but I am limited to an OAL of 3.37 using the factory mag.

Any reason to avoid this platform for my goals? Thanks!
If you don't already have the Sako, I would go aftermarket on the action... By the time you buy it, and pay a smith to blueprint it, you'll likely be well over a custom action's price.

Reactions: Aftermath
If you don't already have the Sako, I would go aftermarket on the action... By the time you buy it, and pay a smith to blueprint it, you'll likely be well over a custom action's price.
^^^THIS is the way.

I have several 700's that I have had blueprinted and tuned up with shit like bushed firing pin holes, M16 extractors, etc. For the same (or nearly same) money, I could have bought an ARC Mausingfield or any of several other actions that did not need to be EPDM'd and such. I have a couple custom actions and that will continue to be my future.

ALSO...I am a HUGE fan of the 280Ackley. I always figured the CRF action was the way to go but after much research, the push feed is what works best. I have a tuned up 700 280 Ackley (push feed, of course) that has had ZERO feeding issues over about 10 years. Long Wyatts box, BDL type. The chamber was cut specific to shoot 140 gr Berger VLD's leaving at 3250 fps. It's a literal laser and my go to for deer. The only issue is inside of 150 yards, there isn't usually an exit wound, then from about 150 to 300, the exit wound is usually HUGE....which is really no big deal in my mind because I'm a heart/lung shooter anyway. They don't take more than 10-20 steps.

^^^THIS is the way.

I have several 700's that I have had blueprinted and tuned up with shit like bushed firing pin holes, M16 extractors, etc. For the same (or nearly same) money, I could have bought an ARC Mausingfield or any of several other actions that did not need to be EPDM'd and such. I have a couple custom actions and that will continue to be my future.

ALSO...I am a HUGE fan of the 280Ackley. I always figured the CRF action was the way to go but after much research, the push feed is what works best. I have a tuned up 700 280 Ackley (push feed, of course) that has had ZERO feeding issues over about 10 years. Long Wyatts box, BDL type. The chamber was cut specific to shoot 140 gr Berger VLD's leaving at 3250 fps. It's a literal laser and my go to for deer. The only issue is inside of 150 yards, there isn't usually an exit wound, then from about 150 to 300, the exit wound is usually HUGE....which is really no big deal in my mind because I'm a heart/lung shooter anyway. They don't take more than 10-20 steps.
My Christensen Arms Ridgeline .280 Ackley has zero issues feeding as well. Their actions are push-feed 700 clones.