• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako s20 300 wmb vs cz 600 7mm

mrderpyderp

Private
Minuteman
May 10, 2022
Valencia,ca
Hi folks,
Determine to buy either the sako s20 ($1200)or the new cz 600 alpha ($850) if you can give me any advice which you would prefer that would be great. Upgrading from 308 to either 7mm cz w Steiner mx7i or sako 300 wm w kahles 525i and this will be mainly used for big game. Scopes still up in the air but that would be the setup between the two.

Well I believe the 600's just got recalled, something to do with the barrel change feature. I'd look into that issue before getting a 600.

I have a 308 s20 and it has been a great rifle. Easy to clean, super accurate with almost every factory load I have run through it, and I personally like the stock change feature. I can see why some folks think it is kind of cheapy feeling with the plastic on the furniture, but I don't mind it; the positives far outweigh the negatives. The only gripes I have with it are that sometimes the magazines have to be forced in, the barrel on mine is a bit lighter than I would like it, and trying to find info about barrel replacements is difficult.

Thanks Harman! Made the purchase for s20 sako precision earlier today.

Oh shoot, that was quick! Did you find anything out then with the 600's? I hope CZ can pull it around with them, I've always liked CZ rifles.

Yeah .. I was at bass pro looking between the two rifles but really cam down to the lightweight cz 600 and s20 build quality. It was a hard to choose but after hearing about 600 issues there was no point waiting around as hunting season is coming around.

I got a cz600 lux in 223 At a local gun shop that always gets CZs when no one else can. it was shippped before the recall. I dont think im going to send it to Cz. Shoots really well, 1/9 twist which i wanted. Odd eur thread for suppressor, brake but i knew that.
im going to,wait till i know more about barrel change problem. CZ will permanently cement barrel.

Reactions: Harman117
I have a 308 s20 and it has been a great rifle. Easy to clean, super accurate with almost every factory load I have run through it, and I personally like the stock change feature. I can see why some folks think it is kind of cheapy feeling with the plastic on the furniture, but I don't mind it; the positives far outweigh the negatives. The only gripes I have with it are that sometimes the magazines have to be forced in, the barrel on mine is a bit lighter than I would like it, and trying to find info about barrel replacements is difficult.
The front mag catch has some back and forth play to it. When you tighten the front action screw (the one by the recoil lug) make sure the mag catch is all the way forward (towards the muzzle). This eliminated the tight magazine issue for me.

Reactions: Modoc
The front mag catch has some back and forth play to it. When you tighten the front action screw (the one by the recoil lug) make sure the mag catch is all the way forward (towards the muzzle). This eliminated the tight magazine issue for me.
Thanks for the tip, I appreciate it. I will do this tonight as it will eliminate the biggest gripe I have with the rifle.

Could just be a fluke, but a nice fellow had a S20 300 win mag at the range on Friday and seemed to be having issues with it. His accuracy was not great 2-3", but I have no idea how good of a shooter he was, but he was shooting much better groups with a tikka 6.5, but of course recoil is worlds different. He appeared at least reasonably competent with good gear/common sense. However, the issue was not accuracy, he was having problems getting the rifle to feed from the mag. I took a look at it for him and I had the same issue off and on and couldn't find anything obviously wrong. The case rim was definitely at the top of the mag when the mag was seated, but it struggled to strip a round intermittently. You could feel it right away in the bolt, happened both mid-mag and first round, even first round mag loaded with a bolt fully open when the mag was seated. Mags seemed to seat fine, no resistance, etc. Don't think he ever solved it. He was shooting hornady precision hunter and match ammo, looked like the mag had room for it. Pretty sure someone could have bought that one cheap by the time he left :ROFLMAO:

Interestingly after searching on " S20 feeding issue" it seems others have ran into this in various calibers, 7rd mags seem to fair better, but not for everyone. Tons of posts about S20 issues on the UK boards.

Hi folks,
Determine to buy either the sako s20 ($1200)or the new cz 600 alpha ($850) if you can give me any advice which you would prefer that would be great. Upgrading from 308 to either 7mm cz w Steiner mx7i or sako 300 wm w kahles 525i and this will be mainly used for big game. Scopes still up in the air but that would be the setup between the two.
I don't care which rifle you pick, but 7mmRM will always be a better cartridge than the .300WM in my opinion. And this is coming from someone who's owned and hunted with a 7mmRM for over 20 years, and a .300WM for over a decade. I've owned .30 calibers my whole life, as well as 7mm's. It's not a bullet diameter comparison, it's the cartridge comparison. IMO, there's better modern cartridges than the .300WM...Like the .30 Nosler. It's really just plain hard to beat a 7mmRM with handloads and modern bullets (168-195gr) with a modern 8" twist barrel.