• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako S20 Optilock 20 MOA mount: review

ptosis

Maniacal nitpick
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2014
Switzerland
After the initial joy of owning a magnificent new Sako S20 rifle, comes the awkward "I should have taken a Tikka" moment – this is when the new owner inspects the optics mounting rails.

There is a problem with the original bits of picatinny in front and behind the ejection port. Actually, three problems:
(1) They have no inclination, it’s 0 MOA flat = half of your scope adjustment range is useless, which means that for most scopes and calibres you don’t have enough clicks to shoot beyond 800 m or so without counter-aiming. Two distant segments of Picatinny (rather than one long rail) make it impossible to use a single-piece mount to fix the issue.
(2) The rear rail segment is rather close to the eye. For scopes with a long ocular part (e.g. S&B PMII 3-20x), the eye relief is too short for comfortable shooting.
(3) They are machined with the receiver, and cannot be replaced easily.

The Optilock mounting base is therefore primarily a way for Sako to earn easy money by fixing problems that they have created in the first place (btw, the rings that go on the Optilock base are, of course, totally proprietary, and need to be purchased with the base). This said, the fix is perfectly efficient. Machining and quality are expectedly flawless, the inclination is there (I took the 20 MOA version; Sako documentation also mentions a 30 MOA version, but I have never seen it IRL), the added height and weight are very reasonable, and the positioning options allow to accommodate pretty much any scope – with longer or shorter oculars. Mounting instructions are clear, and specify recommended torque values for all screws (and, unlike the Spuhr ISMS manual, are consistent between in/lbs and Nm units).

sako-s20-ol-mount.jpg

All in all, it works out very nicely. The "medium height" 34 mm rings set the optics axis height at about 5 cm above bore axis (vs. ~4 cm with low B&T rings directly on the receiver). There is largely enough space to accommodate up to 56 mm objective lenses with a heavy 6.5 CM barrel (pictured above with a x50 scope). Ejection is clean.

After a few "settling down" shots to get all the elements of the mount to find their resting place, the performance is as expected – between 5 and 8 cm max spread on 5 shots at 300 m (= 0.56 to 0.90 MOA) with factory Lapua ammo.

IMNSHO, way to go.

I am looking at a Sako S20 now but this optic mounting system is silly. There is a Tikka UPR with a 20 MOA rail already installed in 6.5 PRC for $300 more. Also there is no sling stud on the Sako S20 but the Tikka UPR stock has 2 on the fore end. I dont use M-lok stuff. I am impressed with the reported accuracy of the Sako, but I have a 308 Tikka UPR that is very accurate as well and I can upgrade the trigger spring to get a 1.5 lb pull weight.

Contessa had a nice 20 MOA pic rail that mounted to the S20 receiver but its been discontinued. The 0 MOA Contessa rail is still available. Honestly I will do that for the flexibility to swap scopes vs having to have the Opti Lock rings on my other scopes.

All in all a messed up system for what is close to being a great rifle. Amazing how Tikka has done a better job with their simplicity and functionality in design vs the supposedly better Sako.

Reactions: toader
I am looking at a Sako S20 now but this optic mounting system is silly. There is a Tikka UPR with a 20 MOA rail already installed in 6.5 PRC for $300 more. Also there is no sling stud on the Sako S20 but the Tikka UPR stock has 2 on the fore end. I dont use M-lok stuff. I am impressed with the reported accuracy of the Sako, but I have a 308 Tikka UPR that is very accurate as well and I can upgrade the trigger spring to get a 1.5 lb pull weight.

Contessa had a nice 20 MOA pic rail that mounted to the S20 receiver but its been discontinued. The 0 MOA Contessa rail is still available. Honestly I will do that for the flexibility to swap scopes vs having to have the Opti Lock rings on my other scopes.

All in all a messed up system for what is close to being a great rifle. Amazing how Tikka has done a better job with their simplicity and functionality in design vs the supposedly better Sako.
Completely agree. As much as I love my S20, today, with after-knowledge, I would have taken the Tikka UPR.

A friend recently brought it to the range, we were measuring V0 for range cards, and I had a chance to shoot a couple of dozen high quality cartridges with it. In my eyes, there is no practical difference between the two. The S20 may have a little bit more polished looks, but as far as practical ergonomics and the receiving end are concerned -- the rifles are largely comparable.

Reactions: General RE LEE
After the initial joy of owning a magnificent new Sako S20 rifle, comes the awkward "I should have taken a Tikka" moment – this is when the new owner inspects the optics mounting rails.

There is a problem with the original bits of picatinny in front and behind the ejection port. Actually, three problems:
(1) They have no inclination, it’s 0 MOA flat = half of your scope adjustment range is useless, which means that for most scopes and calibres you don’t have enough clicks to shoot beyond 800 m or so without counter-aiming. Two distant segments of Picatinny (rather than one long rail) make it impossible to use a single-piece mount to fix the issue.
(2) The rear rail segment is rather close to the eye. For scopes with a long ocular part (e.g. S&B PMII 3-20x), the eye relief is too short for comfortable shooting.

The Optilock mounting base is therefore primarily a way for Sako to earn easy money by fixing problems that they have created in the first place (btw, the rings that go on the Optilock base are, of course, totally proprietary, and need to be purchased with the base). This said, the fix is perfectly efficient. Machining and quality are expectedly flawless, the inclination is there (I took the 20 MOA version; Sako documentation also mentions a 30 MOA version, but I have never seen it IRL), the added height and weight are very reasonable, and the positioning options allow to accommodate pretty much any scope – with longer or shorter oculars. Mounting instructions are clear, and specify recommended torque values for all screws (and, unlike the Spuhr ISMS manual, are consistent between in/lbs and Nm units).

View attachment 7710084

All in all, it works out very nicely. The "medium height" 34 mm rings set the optics axis height at about 5 cm above bore axis (vs. ~4 cm with low B&T rings directly on the receiver). There is largely enough space to accommodate up to 56 mm objective lenses with a heavy 6.5 CM barrel (pictured above with a x50 scope). Ejection is clean.

After a few "settling down" shots to get all the elements of the mount to find their resting place, the performance is as expected – between 5 and 8 cm max spread on 5 shots at 300 m (= 0.56 to 0.90 MOA) with factory Lapua ammo.

IMNSHO, way to go.
Hi good day

View attachment 7710084

IMNSHO, way to go.
Hi good day, is the height for the 34 mm MEDIUM and 30 mm MEDIUM the same? I have a scope with 56 mm bell objective and I am planning on buying the S20, 20 MOA rails and s20 rings but I am not sure on what ring height I’m going to use. This scope was previously mounted on my Sako 85 Finnlight and it was mounted on a 30 mm LOW rings and there was 3/16” space between the bell and barrel. By the way, Im going to mount this scope on a Sako S20 (6.5 PRC). Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Reactions: juanfabuloso
The contessa PH70-20 mount is back in stock at Europtics. They are the 20 moa base. I ordered one yesterday.

Thanks for this thread. After tinkering with a bunch of other things on my S20, I believe I'm in the same boat and need to move my scope forward, but I've run out of room. Although I can see this leading to more money being spent by me, and going down a UPR rabbit hole, I'm just glad that it's not just a "me" problem.

The Burris Signature XTR rings with posi=lock inserts would solve the 0 MOA problem with the stock rail. Superb rings, superb rifles.

Reactions: fwafwow