• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako S20 vs Tikka T3 UPR?

748rpilot

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2023
USA
I'm looking at purchasing a new bolt gun, ideally in the $1500 and under range (but may would go $2k for the right rifle) and I think I've narrowed it down to these two. After handling both in a shop over the weekend, I just have a few questions for those that have or have handled both.

On the Sako, which I handled first, I noticed a fair bit of play in the bolt after opening the action, basically all the way through its travel. The bolt felt a "unsmooth", maybe not rough, to me, and when running the bolt it seemed to have a tendency to bind up. I was running the bolt with the rifle shoulder in a standing and field seated position. It seemed like if it got the least bit off center, the bolt would bind.

The Tikka, on the other hand, felt a bit smoother, maybe had a bit less play, and I had zero issues with binding while cycling the bolt in the same manner as the S20.

On neither rifle was I running the bolt quickly or roughly, partly why I was surprised with the binding on the S20.

I suppose my question is for the S20 shooters: would you agree with my assessment about the action being "unsmooth" and the tendency of the bolt to bind unless run dead straight? Has it smoothed out with rounds through it? Did I just handle a bad example?

I dig the S20 overall and was really leaning that direction, but after handling I'm not so sure. Are my expectations just too high for the (now) $1200 wonder Sako?

Side note: I handled a TRG-22 afterwards and that bolt runs like it's greased up on ball bearings. I should have left it on the rack 😭

My S20 was a little ‘tight’ at first, but after lubricating the bolt and putting rounds downrange, it is buttery smooth!

Mine is chambered in 7RM and shoots <.5” MOA consistently!

I have not shot a T3, so I cannot compare beyond what I did at the LGS before I purchased my S20.

that S20 is calling my name and there are deals out there where you can get the Precision stock for free when ordering the Hunter stock. I think the weight will be perfect for a steady platform but not too heavy.

Reactions: USK308
that S20 is calling my name and there are deals out there where you can get the Precision stock for free when ordering the Hunter stock. I think the weight will be perfect for a steady platform but not too heavy.
I have both the precision and the hunter stocks for my S20. They both feel fantastic and well-balanced. My S20 in 7RM shoots <.5" MOA consistently (@100yds and @200yds) using Hornady 162gr ELD-X 7mm Remington Magnum ammo.

I have both the precision and the hunter stocks for my S20. They both feel fantastic and well-balanced. My S20 in 7RM shoots <.5" MOA consistently (@100yds and @200yds) using Hornady 162gr ELD-X 7mm Remington Magnum ammo.
I liked the ergos on the Precision stock and the tool-less adjustable cheek piece. Also I felt like the complaints on the "hollow stock" were a bit overblown. Sure if I rapped on it with my knuckles it was a bit hollow, but so was the UPR. I shook it one handed and it didn't rattle, like I've heard some people say.

Sounds like you got a good shooter! At only 8.5lbs I personally wouldn't shoot a 7mm out of it lol.

@b6graham does have a valid point about reports on the S20. I've certainly read on other sites, a variety of posts mainly lamenting the accuracy and lack of Beretta support.

I guess I'll have to think about it more. At $1200~ it's not the end of the world if it doesn't print stellar groups, though I would be a tad disappointed.

Thanks for the responses.

• Haha
Reactions: USK308
I liked the ergos on the Precision stock and the tool-less adjustable cheek piece. Also I felt like the complaints on the "hollow stock" were a bit overblown. Sure if I rapped on it with my knuckles it was a bit hollow, but so was the UPR. I shook it one handed and it didn't rattle, like I've heard some people say.

Sounds like you got a good shooter! At only 8.5lbs I personally wouldn't shoot a 7mm out of it lol.

@b6graham does have a valid point about reports on the S20. I've certainly read on other sites, a variety of posts mainly lamenting the accuracy and lack of Beretta support.

I guess I'll have to think about it more. At $1200~ it's not the end of the world if it doesn't print stellar groups, though I would be a tad disappointed.

Thanks for the responses.
For transparency, I did add the muzzle break to the barrel, which makes my 7RM Sako S20 VERY tame when I shoot! I will end up putting a can on the end, but for now, the recoil is less than my 18" DMR in .308.

Attachments

• IMG_2337.jpg
    IMG_2337.jpg
    408.8 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_2338.jpg
    IMG_2338.jpg
    390 KB · Views: 192
Reactions: 748rpilot
Get the TRG.
Temptation, my old friend, how ya been 😂 You could say the thought has crossed my mind. Imagine my surprise visiting the gun shop to handle a Tikka, when lo', TRG is on the rack. I dunno, I just wasn't prepared to spend TRG money at this point.

Reactions: Bakwa
IMO both the S20 and the UPR are 'not so good' copies of the features that makes the TRG what it is.

I would choose neither since none of them are what they pretend to be. I would get the cheapest Tikka (varmint) available and put it in a good stock/chassis that fills my need (probably a KRG W3 or a PSR carbon fibre stock).

Then again, either is a really good rifle so if one of them fit the bill, get it. (I would get the Tikka due to the availability of accessories)

Reactions: YotaEer and Bakwa
Oh absolutely, I'm not under the illusion that either rifle is on equal footing with a TRG. Nor is this purchase, whatever it is, meant for disciplines where the TRG excels. Mainly I'm looking for a dual sport rifle that I can shoot non-competitively to 600y, and do some deer, boar and coyote hunting.

TRG is on the "unicorn list" and I was thinking I might pick one up next year when that bonus check hits.

My practical side is leaning Tikka, but then earlier I read some broken bolt threads and I'm hesitant. Suppose I could get both and sell (uh-huh) whichever one I like less.

Oh absolutely, I'm not under the illusion that either rifle is on equal footing with a TRG. Nor is this purchase, whatever it is, meant for disciplines where the TRG excels. Mainly I'm looking for a dual sport rifle that I can shoot non-competitively to 600y, and do some deer, boar and coyote hunting.

TRG is on the "unicorn list" and I was thinking I might pick one up next year when that bonus check hits.

My practical side is leaning Tikka, but then earlier I read some broken bolt threads and I'm hesitant. Suppose I could get both and sell (uh-huh) whichever one I like less.
Broken bolt rear end where the handle goes? I only know of 4 ever. One was dropped while cleaning with the bolt open. Another had in a case and piled tons of weight on it. Another they were trying to remove a stuck case. Another fell off a bench with the bolt open.

I've been in the Tikka T3 thread since page 4 and I pretty much read every thread I see mentioning tikkas.

The Sako S20 seems like a perfect platform for a long action build. The extended magazine (3.60 oal) would allow for maximized reloads. Specifically, a 280 AI comes to mind but I wonder how the double stack mag would feed.

Tikka 12 ways to Sunday. Shouldn’t even be a consideration unless MAYBE it was for a hunting application only. Even then I (and the vast majority of others) would still tell you Tikka.

The S20 should hardly be considered the same brand as the TRG. 2 completely different animals. A golden doodle to a wolf, if you will.

The Tikka falls somewhere in between the S20 and TRG, but with the best aftermarket of the bunch and probably 99% of factory performance as the TRG, albeit in a “not-as-nice” package. Toyota to a Lexus kinda deal.

If I was not looking for something as a field/hunting rig and not to run in PRS etc. and I could push my budget near $2k I think I'd be going one of two ways. Either a Seekins PH2, or a Solus with a custom spun pre-fit. If i had to stay super budget, Tikka all day. You can pick up a Solus action for under $750, even if you spend $700 on a pre-fit you still have $600 left for a stock. A PH2 can be had under $1600 if you look around.

I've seen too many issues with too many big box factory rigs in the $1000-$2000 range to bother risking the time/hassle of getting one that doesn't shoot. Seekins seem to be one of the best for consistent high performance. All the others, Christensen, Bergara, Fierce, Sako, Browning, SA, Weatherby, etc. etc. we see way more reports of issues and annoyed customers, and I've seen an example of every one of them at ranges that did not seem to perform for very frustrated owners. Any gun can have issues, but it's frankly alarming how many of these big $ factory rigs get reported with issues and don't shoot well.

I have 2 tikka …both ctr..(20 and 24 inch barrels)…and one sako s20… mine all shoot very well… action is smooth on all… can’t go wrong … prob put new chassis on would be my only change.. the 20 inch tikka is at a smith now .. getting new carbon barrel and being put in a x ray chassis. ….

S20 are getting blown out super cheap. I have a feeling they are going to get discontinued. Surprised it was not a more popular platform. They should have focused on modularization and making barrel/bolt swaps much easier. Like a higher end Tikka thats not 200 ft lbs.

if the precision wasnt 2 lbs heavier than a t3x lite i would have gotten one a long time ago. still may end up with one haha