• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako / Tikka Magazine Dilemma - Will this work? T3 guys? 3D printing people?

Triggered

Cervical Bruiser
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2017
Up Yours
6 months into owning a Sako A7 in .308 with a Viper PST 6-24 sitting on top.

Knew going into the deal that aftermarket for the A7 (and Sako in general) was exponentially limited in comparison to something like a 700, but I couldn't pass on the price and I am incredibly happy with the rifle itself - shoots great for my needs.

The only thing I hesitated about was the magazine capacity at a whopping *brace yourself here for impact* 3 rounds (plus I load one in the pipe now most of the time). Didn't start bugging me until I became more proficient with rifle because as soon as I started shooting it was time to reload.

As an insomniac, my most efficient mental hours are generally between 1:00 - 2:30am and the most recent whim of an idea I'm considering is what if I attempt to 3D print a magazine for the A7? Not an expert in the field of 3D printing by any means as far knowing technological capabilities or physical durability of the material used, but I know this has been done for other firearms. So should I get off the crack pipe for this one, or is it worth considering?

Second idea I had (have yet to go to local shop and run around pulling magazines out of respective guns and trying insert into another) is would a 5 round Tikka T3 magazine work in a Sako A7? My understanding is the Sako mags just have the metal feed lips and same material as the TRG magazines (?) while the Tikkas are just plastic?
Can someone more knowledgeable and far less of a noob elaborate on this for me?

Any comments, ridicule or feedback is welcome on this.

Wasn't sure if this was more of a gunsmithing vs. bolt gun thread topic, but you can decipher were I managed to land on the matter.

Happy Tuesday!

First problem I would see is the retaining button on the Tikka mag is a bit higher than the A7. Although it may fit, it will drop right out

sako-a7-7.jpg

Mmm worthy notice of detail.

Like I said, had only heard / knew off hand that the two brands share similarity between products.

Would be curious if some sort of improvised tab could be fashioned on the Tikka model

One thing you could try it to fit a bottom metal from a T3 into your A7 stock and see if it fits and feeds. Although you would need a T3 Mag as well. They do look similar in size.

sako-a7-2.jpg

Anyone know if the A7 and a T3 have the same footprint? If so, you could pick up a stock, bottom metal and mag from a Tikka CTR and have a 10 rounder.

Just a thought as I know jack about A7's.

We run a lot of 3D prints at work for designs... mostly fit up, sanity checks, and to show the sales ppl what it is they're asking for since they lack any vision.

My experience with all of them has always been that they're very brittle, and in a sliding/locking assembly will wear out very quickly.

The best material I've seen us use is Nylon, and we put those components through some actual field testing. They held up, but were full of cracks and chips missing at the end.

I think they're great for checking out designs, but longevity wise I've yet to see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Certainly can't imagine a 3D printed mag withstanding a whole lot of use, will admit that. From what I had heard, unless there was some sort of injection done with the printing, the materials are as mentioned, rather brittle.

Hadn't thought about changing the floorplate to a Tikka model; I think the only aftermarket stock that would take larger mags would be the McMillan A5, otherwise the Bell and Carson uses factory Sako mags.

Another thing to check when I'm at the shop next.

Original idea was to somehow combine two A7 magazines, but with $85 a pop, that's a solid pass on my end.

You can 3D print with more than plastic and nylon. I don't know anything about the a7 so I can't help there