• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako TRG 21/22 questions

SquarePizza

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2012
NY
Just getting into the sako TRG and I have a bunch of questions. I don't see them come up a lot in the regular bolt action forum and I figured I might get more informed responses here.

Seeing as the rifle has been in service in almost 32 countries for almost 30 years now, what are the service countries using for soft gear such as slings, magazine pouches, and/or load bearing equipment for those assigned the rifle? Every time I see a photo, the user is either wearing a bulky overcoat, or the camera angle does not show their equipment. I am sure most are just using the standard equipment for their country and shoving mags into whatever pouch they will fit in, but I am wondering if any country has something that works very well for the TRG.

Has anyone used the sako scope rail that mounts in the receiver groves? Every modern rifle I see is running a standard mount pic rail, and other than cost I was wondering if there was a reason for this.

Speaking of rails, I see that TRG 42 in the PX with the MMRS rail, was that ever offered for the 22? I am looking for a side rail mount for an IR illuminator, I plan on using mine to help rid my farm of night time predators.

Speaking of rails, I see that TRG 42 in the PX with the MMRS rail, was that ever offered for the 22? I am looking for a side rail mount for an IR illuminator, I plan on using mine to help rid my farm of night time predators.

MMRS: https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...rod132037.aspx?avs|Make~~Model_1=Sako__TRG-22

Extended ITRS: https://www.beretta.com/en-us/gun-a...tegrated-tactical-rail-system-accessory-rail/

Standard ITRS: https://www.beretta.com/en-us/gun-a...tegrated-tactical-rail-system-accessory-rail/

TRG-22 with integrated scope mount and extended ITRS

1648806244409.jpeg

Last edited:
Spuhr receiver mounts (with a recoil lug) are very good. Pic rail gives more option for swapping scopes around, and not a lot of brands do TRG rail mounts. I tried one of the Sako 3 ring mounts and did not like. You need to twist/align the rings perfectly to prevent your scope from getting damaged.

ITRS works for mounting a Raduis LRF, but I found that I had to add a 1/8 inch "height" spacer to the side rail to be able to get it to lock into place, as otherwise the locking cam "toggle" would bind against stock forend. This was on a TRG-21, so may not be an issue with the -22 stock.

You really don't see many pouchs specific to them. But occasionally you can get some here:

The factory Sako receiver-mount rail is both expensive... and does not come with a down angle. It is a fine piece of engineering. But there are better choices.

I think mine is a Warne 20 MOA down.

The TRG-22 was well ahead of its time. Still a superb rifle. Mine is probably the best all-around precision rifle I have and was my duty rifle for many years. Also shot police comps with it. Amazing accuracy, smoothness, you name it.

Getting a bit long in tooth. And the .308 is a great duty caliber, but is out-classed for ELR and long range stuff. At least it's not a 6.5.

sako painted.jpg

Mine c. 2009. It's the same today, more or less.

Such a great rifle!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Talk to Richard Near in Canada. He's a TRG guru, as far as my experience with him. He sent me all the correct rail and ring setup for my TRG 22 and the thing is a tuned tac-driver with hardly any effort.

Kind of OT, but the TRG is still sold today...

The 21 and 41 stock design is a bit different and there were some changes made in -13, but on the whole it's the same rifle.

IIRC the sling is available from Sako/Beretta and the Sako scope rail is excellent if you are using Optilock (with inserts). 30 mm main tube only though.

Go to sako.fi -> support -> spare parts...

And download the parts and accessories catalogue. Most items are still available due to that mil units around the world still using the TRG. Availability from Beretta in th US is another thing though.

Best of luck!