• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako TRG-21, 308?

KPK

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2009
Oklahoma
What's the scoop on the 21? I know it's the older model of the 22, but it is much different? If so is the 22 that much better/different? Could you still do a barrel swap if need be?

Re: Sako TRG-21, 308?

The TRG 22 had some refinements in the stock design VS the older TRG 21.

Also the action MIGHT be the same on the 21/22 but not too sure.

You also can't buy the TRG 21 new as it has been replaced by the TRG 22, unless you find a pre-owned one for sale.

I found a used one, but just don't want to make a mistake if there was something wrong with the 21's...

I own the TRG-22. From what I have seen, the only differences are stock refinements (not major) and changes to the magazine (also not major). The coating may also be a little different as a lot of the new ones are phosphatized. The bolt will probably be uncoated and shiny. All of that can be remedied by sending it out for coating.

Josh

A couple more things:

1. How many rounds are through it?
2. What is the price?

Josh

I think I could get it for $1,750 and it's said to be in great condition. No round count...

I found the one your looking at, your not going to do much better for that price. do it

Could it be rebarreled to .260 or .284win at some point if I decided too?

260 yes 284 won't mag feed but is same bf. you could also do 243,6.5cm,6.5x47, 22-250. take your pick

Diggler is partially correct (and wholly correct if you want the 284 at full potential). The 260 will feed fine. Not sure on the OAL for TRG-21 mags, but the TRG-22 is 2.95. That should be more than enough for any projectile in 260. The 284 can be mag fed, but you will give up a lot of the performance the cartridge is capable of. Plus, whereas the 260 will shine with a 22-24" barrel, you are going to need a tube of at least 27" to see decent velocities for the 284.

I personally feel that single feeding a TRG is silly. As such, I would recommend the 260 out of the two if you are going to rebarrel. However, with melonite taking hold with some of the barrel makers and seeing 3 fold improvement in barrel life, my TRG will be a 243 in its next life.

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Diggler is partially correct (and wholly correct if you want the 284 at full potential). The 260 will feed fine. Not sure on the OAL for TRG-21 mags, but the TRG-22 is 2.95. That should be more than enough for any projectile in 260. The 284 can be mag fed, but you will give up a lot of the performance the cartridge is capable of. Plus, whereas the 260 will shine with a 22-24" barrel, you are going to need a tube of at least 27" to see decent velocities for the 284.

I personally feel that single feeding a TRG is silly. As such, I would recommend the 260 out of the two if you are going to rebarrel. However, with melonite taking hold with some of the barrel makers and seeing 3 fold improvement in barrel life, my TRG will be a 243 in its next life.

Josh</div></div>

my last 284 was spitting out 162 amax at 3030fps with 54gr rl17 26" barrel, however i would question the reliability of feeding this round from anything other than single stack mags. also mine had a coal of 3.23 and was on a 700 la feeding out of badger dbm with 300wm mags.