• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako TRG-22 .260 Rem Questions?

deanm

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2004
I am considering buying a Sako TRG-22 in .260 Rem. Just wondering how folks like them and how well they shoot compared to a custom build. Thanks!

Re: Sako TRG-22 .260 Rem Questions?

Sako produces some of the finest factory rifles available. Chances are it's gonna shoot better than you for some time to come as will a custom. Buy with confidence and spend the extra $1500 or so on glass or ammo if you've already covered optics.

Great shooting round, flat trajectory, overall a good choice but it is an expensive one. I agree that Sako produces some of the finest rifles I have ever seen from a factory. They are extremely accurate and built like tanks. The only real downside to them is that they are expensive as hell. Expect to pay around $2800 for just the rifle and a magazine. Then you are looking at a minimum of $1000 for a decent scope, $200-$400+ for a good scope base and rings, $150-$200 if you are going to use a brake at all even though it is not needed for this round IMO, $300-$400 for a good bipod unless you go the Harris route, you might need a spacer for your cheek piece, etc. it adds up quick and Sako accessories are expensive. You could easily spend $5000 on a Sako set up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SilentStalkr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great shooting round, flat trajectory, overall a good choice but it is an expensive one. I agree that Sako produces some of the finest rifles I have ever seen from a factory. They are extremely accurate and built like tanks. The only real downside to them is that they are expensive as hell. Expect to pay around $2800 for just the rifle and a magazine. Then you are looking at a minimum of $1000 for a decent scope, $200-$400+ for a good scope base and rings, $150-$200 if you are going to use a brake at all even though it is not needed for this round IMO, $300-$400 for a good bipod unless you go the Harris route, you might need a spacer for your cheek piece, etc. it adds up quick and Sako accessories are expensive. You could easily spend $5000 on a Sako set up. </div></div>

They're not cheap but the OP asked about em in comparison to custom builds so I'm assuming he understands the cost. A typical build on a custom action(sans optic) is in the neighborhood of $4500. So all else being equal, I'd take a loaded factory rifle with a factory warranty, factory service/support, etc. Nothing against the builders here, I have a few customs, but I like the peace of mind.

Are they still building them? I thought they were a limited run.

Just asked them last week. No more produced because Sako will not produce them. It was a one time limited run.

I got one from Eurooptic, and love it. It is my first Sako and first time reloading for 260 Rem. It was easy to work a load up for and is very accurate. The furthest I've been able to shoot is 500 yards. I do not have any custom builds to compare it to, however it stands well above any of my Coopers, Savages and Remingtons that I have owned.

My only regret is that I did not jump on a 42 TRG in 300 WM when I had the chance.

Is anyone interested in selling one?

Lol, what would you offer for my 260? I mean hell if you want to shell out enough ill buy a new 308 and throw a barrel on it over winter. I love my TRG, just plain out shoots, works, and the ergonomics of it are bitchin. If I were you I'd just buy a 308 and throw a barrel on it, sell your factory barrel and be in good shape. Eurooptic are good guys to deal with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northern50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lol, what would you offer for my 260? I mean hell if you want to shell out enough ill buy a new 308 and throw a barrel on it over winter. I love my TRG, just plain out shoots, works, and the ergonomics of it are bitchin. If I were you I'd just buy a 308 and throw a barrel on it, sell your factory barrel and be in good shape. Eurooptic are good guys to deal with. </div></div>
seems to be the only way to get a TRG in 260 short of lucking out onto a used one.

Based on such a limited supply (only 200 original Euro Optics .260 TRGs made) would the originals hold more value than a conversion? The originals are easily identified by the Euro Optic name and serial number on the receiver. Future collector value?

I have serial number 100.
smile.gif

Being there isnt enough demand to build them I doubt they would hold much of a premium but like anything else if you found a buyer looking for that gun specifically you could probably get a premium

I just bought one from EO and picked it up yesterday. Ironically enough it is Lakeway's original rifle 104. As I read in another TRG-22 .260 thread, he had to return it due to a defective chamber. I'm not sure what they did to repair it or if it was repaired. They told me the round count was less than 150, but from what I read it looked like Lakeway shot more than that with it and I'm thinking that it had another owner between him and me. The last of the reloading components come in the middle of next week so I'm going to shoot it and see what it does to the brass.

Just got off the phone with EO and was told that all of the rifles that had that issue were sent to Barretta and that it was only a matter of polishing out the defect. Looking forward to shooting it and was glad to get the peace of mind knowing that the issue was repaired.

Shot the rifle for the first time this past Saturday and it is a shooter! I only had Varget but got some decent groups
Seemed like 38.0 was the best thought there was not much deviation.
Seemed to be a very forgiving round with that powder.