• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako TRG 22 A1 vs custom

Depends how much other “custom” stuff you have in the safe.

Just to scratch the itch of spending $$$$ on another nice rifle, I’d go sako

cartridge? purpose?

either will shoot but it depends what you want the rifle for

if it's just to get a new rifle for fun...i'd wait for a TacOps

cartridge? purpose?

either will shoot but it depends what you want the rifle for

if it's just to get a new rifle for fun...i'd wait for a TacOps

TacOps is creme de la creme if you want a top notch rifle that's been built to excel in LE roles.

Absolutely love my X-Ray, it's a work of art.

Sako is a very nice gun. For $5500 you need to decide if you want a multi-role custom or a less flexible gun of perhaps higher provenance.

6.5cm kind of a do it all type rifle. Target, hunting mainly
Yes and the TRG has an excellent trigger as well, but you can’t just change the barrel and bolt head then go shoot .223, 6mm PPC, short magnums etc. like you could with another platform. That’s the kind of thing you get with a CDG for instance and somewhat with an AI.

so target and hunting

how much weight are you willing to carry?
what scope do you plan to put on top?
how far do you plan to shoot both target and hunting?
barrel length desire?

so target and hunting

how much weight are you willing to carry?
what scope do you plan to put on top?
how far do you plan to shoot both target and hunting?
barrel length desire?
12# max. Closer to 10 the better. Undecided on the optic. 4-16 atacr, LRHS something in that crossover vein. 24”. I can get to 800 yards off the back porch so at least that. More on occasion.

well the trg 22 a1 weighs like 13# before you add rings/scope and brake/can

even a 10-12# custom is going to very likely break the $3k number you have and be closer to $4-5k
origin $900
proof carbon $900
XLR Element Mag/HNT26 $1400
Trigger/Brake $400

granted thats like 8# before scope but other chassis/stocks will add a pound or two

Well shit I guess I read the specs too fast I was thinking it was lighter than that. I guess with that info I’ll just go the custom route

well the trg 22 a1 weighs like 13# before you add rings/scope and brake/can

even a 10-12# custom is going to very likely break the $3k number you have and be closer to $4-5k
origin $900
proof carbon $900
XLR Element Mag/HNT26 $1400
Trigger/Brake $400

granted thats like 8# before scope but other chassis/stocks will add a pound or two

And if money is a concern, you can use a KRG Bravo chassis. Light weight and very budget friendly.

Unless you're in love with the aesthetics of the factory platform...

Custom all day, everyday.

I recently bought an AI AT-X. First thing I'm having to do is get another barrel spun up because the copper fouling and chambering job aren't what I'd be happy with from a barrel in a rifle that costs half of what I paid. Still waiting to hear back from AINA. Will call tomorrow.

The same week my AI came in, my .223 custom trainer was finished at my gunsmith. Total invested was about $1,500 less.

Definitely loving my .223 more at the moment.

You are making this harder than it needs to be. If you want a 12# max rifle and are interested in a 6.5CM Sako TRG, get a Tikka T3X CTR 6.5CM with a 24 inch barrel. Mount it in a chassis or stock of your choice and bang steel and hunt with it. And this is coming from someone that has three TRGs in 260 Rem, 308 Win, and 338 LM. My 308 Stainless Tikka CTR in a McMillan Edge Carbon stock is my best hybrid target/hunting rifle and feels in hand like a lite TRG! If you want really close to the TRG22 feel, drop it in a KRG Bravo chassis.

Reactions: ma smith