• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako Trg 22 and AI AE actions???

green338 2.0

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2012
NorCal
<span style="font-size: 14pt">I'm in the market for either a TRG 22 or AE in 308 and wondering in regards to the actions/receiver; how many rounds could an action take?

I've seen owners change out barrels after a couple thousand rounds, but I'm concerned about the action...could it withstand unlimited rounds without hurting accuracy ??

Some help and guidance would be greatly appreciated </span>

Re: Sako Trg 22 and AI AE actions???

If you can afford the ammo to wear out the receiver, the cost of another rifle is inconsequential.

As long as you don't blow it up with a bad reload or remachine it to death, it will last and last.

There is an AI at Rifles Only that has had 11 barrel changes and over 95,000 rounds through it.

You'll never wear either action out in your lifetime.

My understanding is the Sako and AI actions can take tens of thousands of rounds with out degradation in performance. You will go through MANY .308 barrels and the action will never be an issue.

how many barrel changes can an action take before the threads stretch to much?

Thanks for the heads up buffybuster, lowlight, and damnyuppie. Now I'm hoping I could find a 'used' rifle and just get a barrel spinned up from GAP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hyena74</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how many barrel changes can an action take before the threads stretch to much? </div></div>

I've never heard of the threads going on a AI.

Not in the same league, but as an example, I have a Rem 700 currently chambered in .260 Rem.

It started life in the early 1970s when my dad bought it as a .243. It has worn the .243 barrel, two .308 barrels and now the current .260 one. As soon as the throat gets too long I will decide if I should turn it back a couple of threads and rechamber, or stick a new tube on.

The thought has crossed my mind to go back to a .308 tube. The threads btw, looks great. As long as the person doing the re-barrel knows what they are doing, a reciever will last a guy his lifetime and his son's.

That at least has been my experience so far. YMMMV.

Cheers.